Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean pop-up ad not in browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Korean pop-up ad not in browser Reply with quote

I have this Korean pop-up ad that comes up on the bottom right of my window. Odd because it is not associated with any browser, it just pops up pretty much after the computer boots. It started shortly after I upgraded to windows 10, but probably not related. I run avast and malware bytes, but they don't find the source (I won't install Ahnlab...) Has anyone ever seen a little korean pop-up ad on the bottom right that sits right on top of windows?
Thanks,
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but you should try to provide a bit more info when you post questions.

Most people would at least like to know if your windows 10 is a korean version, english, or sth else.

I won't touch it for at least 10 years, but I heard windows 10 is, and will be, heavy with the updates and spying.

Perhaps the pop-up is for an update? Most likely if your windows 10 is a korean version.

That pop-up is NOT odd. Adobe flash, video card software, and if you unfortunately have a samsung (sw update) laptop, will all lead to pop-ups in the lower-right corner of your desktop.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also think you should be able to "select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar", or whatever it's called on windows 10.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
It is Windows 10 , yes ads started right after the update
It is English version of software, and laptop bought from America.

It is definitely an ad, it shows pictures of products and changes about every 30 seconds. If I do click on it, it open a webpage for the product.

Avast, Malware bytes, and Adaware all cannot find it.

Alt-F4 wont kill it. It doesn't show up as a process in the Task Manager.

It looks like a little browser window, but opens on its own with no browsers open.

Real pain the the butt...
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely a nice "add-on" some korean software program you thought you trusted added on to your computer for you. Take a look for any unusual programs that may be installed. Control panel -> programs/uninstall a program/whatever it is for windows 10. You might be able to find what it is through the task manager (ctrl-alt-del). You can scroll down the list of processes and might find a name for what it is that's running. Anyway, because of my ignorance wrt windows 10, I can't say much more. I know there are a LOT of things you should disable/not allow in preferences, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if m$ is redirecting you to an actual legit korean site based upon your IP addy, but who knows? From what I know, that kind of pop-up used to always be seen as some kind of malware.

Maybe try some of the steps listed here that you didn't already do...

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-popup-ads-windows-10/

Might be useful, too. Especially, the msconfig to identify the program...

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2385764/remove-popup-virus-windows-starts.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: