Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave has changed his pic!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
northway wrote:
You might want to close the message board down before we devour ourselves.

No joke.

Is the process to create an account on here still a pain? I'm under the impression that it is. It could bounce back if it gets easier to sign up, and the snarky vets take a back seat. It's not like the online expat in Korea community has vanished; people have just migrated elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I mean, unless you have some sort of ancient account, you can't have a user picture, a signature, etc etc etc. All normally standard features for this board format.

Although if this upgrade that was mentioned leads to everyone having to create a new account, that will damage my precious, precious "early joiner" Internet prestige, and I just don't think my fragile ego could take such a blow!!!
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
northway wrote:

No joke.

Is the process to create an account on here still a pain? I'm under the impression that it is. It could bounce back if it gets easier to sign up, and the snarky vets take a back seat. It's not like the online expat in Korea community has vanished; people have just migrated elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I mean, unless you have some sort of ancient account, you can't have a user picture, a signature, etc etc etc. All normally standard features for this board format.

Although if this upgrade that was mentioned leads to everyone having to create a new account, that will damage my precious, precious "early joiner" Internet prestige, and I just don't think my fragile ego could take such a blow!!!

Nah, the "forum" is going/has mostly gone the way of the dinosaur. Now it's Facebook this and Twitter that. We might get a minor resurgence in posters if the forums were modernized and cleaned up (I don't envy anyone that task) but this place will never have anywhere near the numbers it used to. The waygook.org forums are far more active and slightly less cynical these days anyway.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

Stay out of my head...it's like listening to myself think.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Nah, the "forum" is going/has mostly gone the way of the dinosaur.

Quote:
The waygook.org forums are far more active and slightly less cynical these days anyway.

I...guess......?

I get your point though, yeah. My previous comments were a direct reflection of putting ESL Cafe and the waygook boards side by side. I don't post there and never registered so I can't speak from experience, but it seems like that board was never properly trolled like this one was, and therefore people can have user avatars and all the other bells and whistles. That combination of ease of registration/customization, and relatively less cynicism, surely have an impact on those who are new to Korea signing up, and then sticking around afterward.

Quote:
Now it's Facebook this and Twitter that.

Fair point. Certainly, a decent portion of traffic has been diverted to Facebook in particular. I mean, you can start your own little community and set up your own rules, for better or worse. And the infra is already up and running with literally just a couple of clicks.

Personally, I use those two platforms for entirely different purposes. And most of those "Korea" Facebook groups frankly frighten me.

I'd also say that the Korea subreddit, technically a "forum", is doing OK for itself, even with the whole upvote/downvote characteristic.

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Stay out of my head...it's like listening to myself think.

Blame Hypnotoad.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reddit's the new Dave's.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL/comments/3wek8k/my_recruiters_comments_on_the_tefl_job_market_in/
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of. It does have the bitterness now on /r/korea that this place is famous for. Buy the voting system means you always have to think about what people are going to think of your comment. They won't get deleted but will be relegated to the bottom, effectively silencing them in a thread that will begin dropping in a few hours anyway. So the dynamic is completely different.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still lurk but this site is a shadow of what it was 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago. You might have a few new posts a day. Back then it was like 50-100 posts in each sub forum a day plus 100s of replies.
Wangja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Plain Meaning wrote:
northway wrote:

No joke.

Been a while, been a while ...
skinhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
I still lurk but this site is a shadow of what it was 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago. You might have a few new posts a day. Back then it was like 50-100 posts in each sub forum a day plus 100s of replies.

Was a big fan of yours back before I joined. Mr Pink
PeteJB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tend to the upgrade. Cool
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook forums on Korea have crappy search functions. Ever notice when you're reading some thread, the page bounces up with every new comment? There are too many drawbacks - but joining a group is easier.

I like this forum format much better for searching topics and knowing they won't move out of sight for a while at least. Reddit is good though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: