Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting back into the American Job Market after South Korea.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Good Will Riker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Korea. Reply with quote

I am an American, 40-years old, who very recently moved back to Southern California to start working for a start-up environmental company as "a presentation researcher."

However, before this start-up environmental company takes-off with investors and a client base in 1~2 years, I however am in need of a regular day job for everyday monetary income. Plus, with necessities such as ObamaCare "being mandatory," my life circumstances mandates that I require a full-time, paying job "more-than-ever."

I have been a Business English instructor/hagwon instructor in South Korea for the past 7 years. I have a BA in English Education.

When I am searching through the classified ads daily, I keep bookmarking "insurance jobs," but I sure need to use some more creativity and flexibility in finding a full-time job in other areas than "just selling insurance" for the time-being.

Being a BA holder in English Education, I am not the science and math type. Computers, engineering, science, astrophysics, bio-molecular, and medical type jobs are out-of-the-question for me.

Should I seek out additional schooling?

I actually need to "brainstorm" it with the people on here, because I am brand new to this "Back in America after teaching English in South Korea for 7-years" mode.

Along with ideas in finding a job that is suitable/available to me, I also am wondering how realistically I can set-up and do the following potential-jobs:

1.) Become a recruiter here in Southern California (Working from online, with a reach across the greater United States and Canada.) of prospective ESL teachers who want to teach English in South Korea, China, Vietnam, etc.? How would I be able to set this up with public schools, private schools, community colleges, universities, etc. in South Korea, China, Vietnam, etc.?

2.) Become a recruiter here in Southern California (Working from online, with a reach across the greater United States and Canada.) of prospective Asian students from South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. who want to live and study abroad in the United States and Canada by living with "a host family" and "in boarding schools?" How would I be able to set this up with public schools, private schools, community colleges, universities, etc. in the United States and Canada?

3.) Being "a host family" for those prospective unruly (Yes, that's not PC, but they are young boy and girls, now...) Asian students from South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. with appropriate housing, amenities, and transportation?

4.) Become my own online ESL instructor. Now, when I apply for those websites, I am competing with a lot of other ESL instructors to acquire potential online ESL students from around the world.

I am scrolling through the classifieds, daily. There are plenty of "insurance jobs," but I am suspicious of them as being any sort of "livable income?"

Smile Any and all advice would be appreciated. Smile
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be a nice guy here since I don't want Jackie Bolen coming in to huckster one of her books.

Couple of options you could do that saved my butt since coming back 2 years ago.

1) Substitute teaching, yeah you could wind up in some hell holes and trust me, I have been in some war zones. With a little asking around you can find the right school district. Most districts don't require a certificate just a degree and a criminal check. Pay depends but I bet in Calif it has got to be more than the $90-100/day I get here in Texas

2) Teach English to immigrants/locals through a local NPO. I found a gig 4 mornings/week, 3 hours of teaching plus 1 hour of prep each morning paid $20/hour. Check for community action agencies, literacy councils, immigrant centers etc.

of course you could drive for Uber or Domino's
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck.
I got certified in Arizona and Washington and will look for teaching jobs for the fall.
Now I am thinking of Idaho instead. I heard Boise is nice.
How is the reverse culture shock?
chellovek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should try and work for your local Republican/Tea Party/Libertarian Loon outfit and strike back against ObamaCare. After all the horrific tedious annoyances and costs of living, it is clearly ObamaCare that is the thing that needs to be singled out.
Good Will Riker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket man wrote:
Couple of options you could do that saved my butt since coming back 2 years ago.

1) Substitute teaching, yeah you could wind up in some hell holes and trust me, I have been in some war zones. With a little asking around you can find the right school district. Most districts don't require a certificate just a degree and a criminal check. Pay depends but I bet in Calif it has got to be more than the $90-100/day I get here in Texas

2) Teach English to immigrants/locals through a local NPO. I found a gig 4 mornings/week, 3 hours of teaching plus 1 hour of prep each morning paid $20/hour. Check for community action agencies, literacy councils, immigrant centers etc.

Let me look into both. As in, Biff Tannen is "actually going to crack-open that Almanac to take a look-see."

Brooks wrote:
How is the reverse culture shock?

The culture shock was "always in South Korea." Now in comparison to everyday life in South Korea, no one here in the states gives one flying-flip about the guy standing next to you as long as you reside in a good neighborhood... unless you went out in public dressed like a circus clown. Razz

When people say "Good morning," it's feels nice to smile back at them. Smile

"THE MONEY PROBLEM" is the only problem I have coming back to the states. As in, most of the people who have it are Hollywood movie stars, the Paris Hiltons of the world, and those ever-so-rare state lottery winners. The rest of us 99.99999999999999999999999999999% have to hustle. Even with "countless socially-unrefined individuals" I encountered everyday in South Korea, at least every time I stood there and opened my mouth within pre-designated daily hours of the week, I was paid. Very Happy

chellovek wrote:
I think you should try and work for your local Republican/Tea Party/Libertarian Loon outfit and strike back against ObamaCare. After all the horrific tedious annoyances and costs of living, it is clearly ObamaCare that is the thing that needs to be singled out.

It's going to take years to reverse all of that mess.

Barack Obama was obviously staring at the triangle -- and not the entire pyramid in front of him -- when coming-up with that plan. Even Michelle thought that was a great idea? (She probably came-up with the idea... ). Does he have even one iota of shame? He should have at least taken some logic courses in his community college days before Columbia, or else we wouldn't all collectively be in this healthcare mess... time-and-again. Rolling Eyes
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a licensed teacher, which, if memory serves, you need to be in Cali, you could also look for sub work. Usually pays between 100-150$ a day depending on the district, and if you are willing to drive, you can rely on at least a few days a week of that.
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Obama copied was Mitt Romney did as governor of Massachusetts, with regard to healthcare.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's water under the bridge now, but maybe someone else can learn from your experience so I'll throw it out there: you should never make a move without employment lined up. You have a job, but one that won't be paying the bills, so you need more.

That 'more', at least in terms of the options you listed, are viable, but you would have been much better off had you flushed out those ideas while over here. If you did, more power to you, but that's not the way your post comes across.

Even if you do get a recruiting and/or homestay business off the ground there (website, plus a way to get some qualified applicants), you're going to need to get back over here (and to the other countries) to generate some business. Korea and other countries you've mentioned host huge study abroad and ESL fairs, and those might be an avenue to explore in terms of bang for your travel buck.

Another option is to look into corporate communications training. An MBA in organizational behavior/cross-cultural managment would help, but with your experience you might be able to make some inroads.

As I stated in another post, don't be too put off by the idea of coming back and lining the ol' pockets a bit while you get your ducks in a row.

Best of luck....
northway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Will Riker wrote:
Barack Obama was obviously staring at the triangle -- and not the entire pyramid in front of him -- when coming-up with that plan. Even Michelle thought that was a great idea? (She probably came-up with the idea... ). Does he have even one iota of shame? He should have at least taken some logic courses in his community college days before Columbia, or else we wouldn't all collectively be in this healthcare mess... time-and-again. Rolling Eyes

Since when is Oxy a community college?
Titus2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Ko Reply with quote

Good Will Riker wrote:
I am an American, 40-years old, who very recently moved back to Southern California to start working for a start-up environmental company as "a presentation researcher."

However, before this start-up environmental company takes-off with investors and a client base in 1~2 years, I however am in need of a regular day job for everyday monetary income. Plus, with necessities such as ObamaCare "being mandatory," my life circumstances mandates that I require a full-time, paying job "more-than-ever."

I have been a Business English instructor/hagwon instructor in South Korea for the past 7 years. I have a BA in English Education.

When I am searching through the classified ads daily, I keep bookmarking "insurance jobs," but I sure need to use some more creativity and flexibility in finding a full-time job in other areas than "just selling insurance" for the time-being.

Being a BA holder in English Education, I am not the science and math type. Computers, engineering, science, astrophysics, bio-molecular, and medical type jobs are out-of-the-question for me.

I actually need to "brainstorm" it with the people on here, because I am brand new to this "Back in America after teaching English in South Korea for 7-years" mode.

Along with ideas in finding a job that is suitable/available to me, I also am wondering how realistically I can set-up and do the following potential-jobs:

1.) Become a recruiter here in Southern California (Working from online, with a reach across the greater United States and Canada.) of prospective ESL teachers who want to teach English in South Korea, China, Vietnam, etc.? How would I be able to set this up with public schools, private schools, community colleges, universities, etc. in South Korea, China, Vietnam, etc.?

2.) Become a recruiter here in Southern California (Working from online, with a reach across the greater United States and Canada.) of prospective Asian students from South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. who want to live and study abroad in the United States and Canada by living with "a host family" and "in boarding schools?" How would I be able to set this up with public schools, private schools, community colleges, universities, etc. in the United States and Canada?

3.) Being "a host family" for those prospective unruly (Yes, that's not PC, but they are young boy and girls, now...) Asian students from South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. with appropriate housing, amenities, and transportation?

4.) Become my own online ESL instructor. Now, when I apply for those websites, I am competing with a lot of other ESL instructors to acquire potential online ESL students from around the world.

I am scrolling through the classifieds, daily. There are plenty of "insurance jobs," but I am suspicious of them as being any sort of "livable income?"

First - " Computers, engineering, science, astrophysics, bio-molecular, and medical type jobs are out-of-the-question for me." is defeatism and accepting poverty.

You're in a tough spot. Your age and vocational background are a serious line of red flags for a proper company. Please note that virtually all jobs that involve insurance (and would hire you) are basically scams.

However, hope is not lost. I strongly recommend you do not go get more schooling from a university (other than short, specialized continuing ed programs - see below). I suggest you pursue designations. You can go easy and lower paid (HR designation like the PHR) or you can get a bit more difficult (CMA, CISA etc).

I don't know anything about recruiting for ESL.

How are your Microsoft Office skills? I suggest you go to your local community college and get up to the advanced level, and especially with excel.

I suggest you challenge some IT designations. As many as you can do. Start tomorrow. You just need a foot in the door.

I don't know what a 'presentation researcher' does - and I am a management consultant, so maybe ponder that - but it sounds like the fast-lane to poverty. You have 20 years or so to build a nest egg to live on when you're old. 25 if you're healthy.

Are you presentable? Lose weight, get a tight haircut. Wear well fitting dress clothing. Off the rack and over to a tailor (it's cheap).

Read the WSJ cover to cover every day. People who make decisions in companies read it and you want to be able to relate to them.

Practice your posture in the mirror. Interview yourself in the mirror.

Do not wear dress shoes without laces to a job interview. Only real estate agents are allowed to wear lace-free shoes. I am being very serious.

Do not try to be a real estate agent.

Everybody and their dog has university degrees now. Firms want skills. Designations are a proxy for skills. Get designations.

Assess the job market, make a plan, follow through and be open to major change.

You should probably leave Southern California.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Ko Reply with quote

Titus2 wrote:
Good Will Riker wrote:

First - " Computers, engineering, science, astrophysics, bio-molecular, and medical type jobs are out-of-the-question for me." is defeatism and accepting poverty.

You're in a tough spot. Your age and vocational background are a serious line of red flags for a proper company. Please note that virtually all jobs that involve insurance (and would hire you) are basically scams.

However, hope is not lost. I strongly recommend you do not go get more schooling from a university (other than short, specialized continuing ed programs - see below). I suggest you pursue designations. You can go easy and lower paid (HR designation like the PHR) or you can get a bit more difficult (CMA, CISA etc).

How are your Microsoft Office skills? I suggest you go to your local community college and get up to the advanced level, and especially with excel.

I suggest you challenge some IT designations. As many as you can do. Start tomorrow. You just need a foot in the door.

I don't know what a 'presentation researcher' does - and I am a management consultant, so maybe ponder that - but it sounds like the fast-lane to poverty. You have 20 years or so to build a nest egg to live on when you're old. 25 if you're healthy.

Are you presentable? Lose weight, get a tight haircut. Wear well fitting dress clothing. Off the rack and over to a tailor (it's cheap).

Read the WSJ cover to cover every day. People who make decisions in companies read it and you want to be able to relate to them.

Do not wear dress shoes without laces to a job interview. Only real estate agents are allowed to wear lace-free shoes. I am being very serious.

Everybody and their dog has university degrees now. Firms want skills. Designations are a proxy for skills. Get designations.

This actually reads to me like a brilliant satire of corporate America. The kind of speech, stuffed full of sound bites, a rookie gets on his first day at work in a film like Wall Street. Not saying it ain't true but just very glad I don't have any aspirations to get rich or work in the kind of job where it's important what kind of shoes you wear.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work for McDonalds night shift.=) I'm being actually serious.

Spend a few months there and train workers. Lots of benefits in the restaurant industry. You can end up owning a franchise someday.

Get a chauffeur's license and get behind the wheel of an Uber (which can be leased now) or a contract cab (12 hour days/nights). Uber's hotspots are SF, DC and NY but not sure about LA (cab market is saturated).

I'm in my 40's, also. I've driven cabs before and though about a CDL over-the-road but I'd hate to eat truck stop food all the time. Good truckers (also being serious) in good markets who know the business and have contacts, make at least $2 per mile and the hard-working ones bring home over $5-7,000 per month. A private course would set someone back $7,000 or so (including test and driver training). Transport companies will give you a loan for a course but you need to work for them for a year or two before you go out on your own. Community colleges also offer training.

Another part of the job would be trying to work with a freight broker company for which would be hard to get on since most require a year of experience. Dispatching online might be a possibility.

There are online work-at-home customer service jobs you can do (U-Haul, etc.) Just do a search.

If you dont mind second-hand smoke, any casinos near you (are they legalized in CA?)
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Ko Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
very glad I don't have any aspirations to get rich or work in the kind of job where it's important what kind of shoes you wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqmE2qkL2k
Where's JohnML?
northway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Ko Reply with quote

Titus2 wrote:
Good Will Riker wrote:

Don't you have to have 2+ years in HR in order to take the PHR?
Titus2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This actually reads to me like a brilliant satire of corporate America. The kind of speech, stuffed full of sound bites, a rookie gets on his first day at work in a film like Wall Street. Not saying it ain't true but just very glad I don't have any aspirations to get rich or work in the kind of job where it's important what kind of shoes you wear.

Yeah, it's a big pile of BS through and through but we have to eat.

Quote:
Don't you have to have 2+ years in HR in order to take the PHR?

I don't know. I am just throwing out ideas. A low level IT certification would be best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: