Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting back into the American Job Market after South Korea.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the American Job Market after South Ko Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
very glad I don't have any aspirations to get rich or work in the kind of job where it's important what kind of shoes you wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqmE2qkL2k
Where's JohnML?

Ha ha, yes unfortunately I do have the kind of job where what shoes you wear isn't a issue but wearing shoes is.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything that you are good at, and can show evidence of being good at? When I finished school I made money between jobs as a freelance editor, and it was pretty easy to find work, but I had previous experience. When I lived in Australia, I made money through private English tutoring just using their version of craigslist. There is also this site for freelancers that I used to use to hire people for contract work, but I'm not sure if the pay is great: https://www.elance.com/

You can temp, and then have it turn permanent. Titus said don't do real estate, but it seems like lots of the people I knew from high school or college who had no plans stumbled into it, and they at least look like they are doing decently on facebook, and I think anybody can do it, and then you could also not have to worry about shoe laces.
Good Will Riker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the recommendations here are sound. Smile

Anything "temporary" to tide me over for the time being is fine, and I am definitely on the lookout for something solid and very stable in terms of my career for the long-haul.

Any more recommendations and ideas I welcome on here.
Titus2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Titus said don't do real estate, but it seems like lots of the people I knew from high school or college who had no plans stumbled into it, and they at least look like they are doing decently on facebook, and I think anybody can do it, and then you could also not have to worry about shoe laces.

It is nearly impossible to walk into a city, especially Southern California, and build a real estate career. You need roots, a network, and similar. Absent that you'll need a big stash of money that you're willing to burn building a brand while you hustle 1bed apartments rentals.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

You can temp, and then have it turn permanent.

That's what my wife did. She has a BS in engineering, but from a university in a country that no one in America pays attention to and in an engineering field that is useless in the two spots she's lived in the USA (DC and San Francisco). Thankfully she had some job experience doing bookkeeping in her home country and was able to get a perm entry level accounting job in SF through the temp agency (after a couple short term gigs). Not the best job in the world, but pay is enough for a single person to live on in the Bay Area.
kberger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been back in the staes for a few years now, I still look at this forum from time to time. (sigh)

DO NOT get involved with some bull insurance selling crap like Primerica, or some clone of it.

If you like teaching, get you need to be a real teacher in the US. It can be a long grind. A friend of mine who did all the normal things to be a teacher needed years of doing unpleasant things before getting a nice job in a place he liked.

I have no idea how you can make a living doing anything ESL related in the states.

I became a truck driver after returning to the US. There are many many variables. Starting out might be rough. Within a year, it will be no problem making $60k/yr. Get quality training, get with a decent outfit, and the money is there. Warning: it is a lifestyle as much as it is a job.

You may want to look into trades. For years young people have been told they need a college education. No one has gone into the trades for decades, and these white haired old farts are retiring, and there is no one there to replace them. Plumber, electrician, welder etc., you can quickly be out there earning a decent living.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting back into the Job Market in USA after ROK Reply with quote

Gun running. Money laundering. Okay, maybe a bit extreme, but gun license training is in demand, and pay-day loan facilities are hiring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: