Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Establishing Residency in State for Lovely Resident Tuition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbarryobama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Establishing Residency in State for Lovely Resident Tuition Reply with quote

I am a California boy and I want to go to grad school in California, but I've worked in Korea for 2.5 years. Am I still a resident? Some facts:

*Between each job I fly back to the states for a couple months.
    *I have current driver's license and am registered to vote.
    *Unfortunately, I claimed that Korea was my domicile on my federal income tax return so that I didn't have to pay taxes in either country.
    *I have CA checking account and credit cards. One of the credit cards has a lot of activity on it... because it's a joint account with my parents. I don't use it, but they do.
    *Went to high school and university in CA.

I honestly have always intended to have CA remain my permanent home. Korea has simply been... a prolonged sabbatical. Anyone else wrassle with proving residency for college?
Strode

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to one of those mail forwarding places and get a box and use that as your address. Have your mail forwarded to you once a month or so. I did it for about 10 years in Korea, Saudi and Jordan.
northway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably qualify. When I was looking at UCLA I talked to a dude who had taught in China for like 3-4 years and he got in-state tuition. Your best bet is probably to call the financial aid department of whichever school you like and ask them straight up.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Establishing Residency in State for Lovely Resident Tuit Reply with quote

mrbarryobama wrote:
I am a California boy and I want to go to grad school in California, but I've worked in Korea for 2.5 years. Am I still a resident? Some facts:

*Unfortunately, I claimed that Korea was my domicile on my federal income tax return so that I didn't have to pay taxes in either country.
    *I have CA checking account and credit cards. One of the credit cards has a lot of activity on it... because it's a joint account with my parents. I don't use it, but they do.

I honestly have always intended to have CA remain my permanent home. Korea has simply been... a prolonged sabbatical. Anyone else wrassle with proving residency for college?

The issue is tax returns. Not the fed one you filed, but the lack of a California one. Otherwise you'd be golden.

California Grad student residency requirements

After you're admitted into a grad program, you'll receive a form to fill out to prove if you are a resident. I did it 9 years ago (went to UCSD for my Masters), so I don't remember the details. I just remember that I didn't have to submit any back-up documentation (such as tax returns), BUT I also had been back in California for just over a year.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Establishing Residency in State for Lovely Resident Tuit Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
mrbarryobama wrote:

The issue is tax returns. Not the fed one you filed, but the lack of a California one. Otherwise you'd be golden.

California Grad student residency requirements

After you're admitted into a grad program, you'll receive a form to fill out to prove if you are a resident. I did it 9 years ago (went to UCSD for my Masters), so I don't remember the details. I just remember that I didn't have to submit any back-up documentation (such as tax returns), BUT I also had been back in California for just over a year.

He might theoretically be able to file back taxes. The amount he would have to pay would be significantly smaller than whatever he might pay in out of state tuition.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with getting your mailing address re-established there is the new Obamacare requirement. Be careful that they don't slam you for health care, or a fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: