Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious about Educational Debt Loads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Curious about Educational Debt Loads Reply with quote

With all the hoopla over university debt loads in the US this election cycle, and having quite a few Canadian friends who incurred their own educational debt, I'm curious as to how much debt everyone on the board took on to complete their studies.

If you have it, is it manageable? If you have it, any regrets? If you don't, are you willing to take some on to further your studies?

Open conversation, so shoot....

Me? I took on a few grand of debt over the course of my first two years of undergrad, but the Army paid that off as part of an enlistment bonus when I went in. Used some money I had saved up and worked full time when I got out of the service as I wrapped up my BA, so no more debt there. Worked full time through my MBA, so paid cash from the get-go and no debt there. Ph.D. was fully funded. Unscathed.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 30k debt coming out of University but could have easily come out with only 20k if I hadn't done my degree in 5 years and didn't use my student line of credit for pocket expenses I didn't need.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid for my BA (public state school (US)) and both MAs (out of state, public (US)) out of my own pocket. Worked full time during all three, came out of all three with no debt. Total cost was a shade under 110 for all three.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it for BA, paid it off eventually. It was manageable, the monthly payments were not atrocious so I never missed payments. Didn't regret taking on the debt necessarily, just my major due to a lack of understanding of the real world at the time. And regret taking forever to pay it off, I just paid the minimum for a long time.

If I knew what to study for post-grad, I would be more concerned with getting that started than with taking on debt to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: