Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A South Korean Drug Story-Finished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Be Good

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: A South Korean Drug Story-Finished Reply with quote

Daves has been very slow over the last few years. I saw the post about YBS. Very sad indeed. He was a great contributor to this site. There was a time where this site was a barrel of laughs, full of serious trolls or just all round tomfoolery. I was a long time reader, but just until a year or two ago, I got an account. I hardly post, as you can see for yourself. But I wanted to share a tale or two of the shenanigans that I used to come across here. Here is one of those tales.

This story is over 10 years old now. I won't share the names or the origins of those involved or even the cities here in SK where is all happened. No point. But, I promise you this, it is all true. If you consider it bs, so be it. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. But I won't reveal names or cities. No point. Let sleeping dogs lie.

To the Mods here on Daves. If you feel this story is out of line, by all means, delete it. I was not looking to cause any troubles, but rather share some of the wild shit I have seen go down here over the years. If I have crossed the line, apologies.

Anyhow, shall we....

So, back in 2005 there was a lot of hash around. Me personally, I didn't touch it. I was happy with my life in Korea. I was not interested in getting busted, because, with drugs, it is inevitable to get busted. Besides, I have an allergy to smoke.

So this one guy, a friend of mine, let's call him Nick, heard he can get the stuff in another city at a great price. Nick asks around and low and behold gets a meet and greet set up with the supplier. We will call him Donnie. So Nick goes off to meet Donnie and locks down a deal to buy a massive amount and be the supplier to all the folks he knows in his city. Nick pretty much triples the price and is making fat stacks quite quick. But because he is making fat stacks, so is Donnie. These two become quite tight and are living an ESL high roller life. For the record, no one involved in this story is Korean. All waygooks here. Not even Korean ancestry. We are talking straight up Anglo Saxon blue round eye folks.

Now how Donnie got the stuff, I never knew. And, I never asked. One of the reasons I did not go down (besides having an allergy to it) is because I really kept my distance from this scene. But Nick and I got along and he kept me informed. He also liked the fact that I was not a purchaser, so I think he trusted me that much more.

So anyhow, Nick and Donnie heard that they could go to Northern India and purchase a large quantity of quality hash for a very good price. $1,000 for one kilo. They were convinced the could turn that into $50,000 in two months time.

Now some details here that are important for you to know. Nick was only on a tourist visa because he did not have a degree and ended up here only because his girlfriend was here teaching. It was a great deal for him. Taught a little bit here and there under the table. Free apartment with the lady. Made his visa runs when needed to. Had coin from slinging the black. He was living the ESL thug life. Short sighted indeed, but enjoying himself. Donnie on the other hand was a visa carrying ESL teacher. He had a good gig and overall was really a good fella. He never cared about the money, but more about being buzzed and smiling. It was Nick that was all about the coin. India was all his idea. Donnie just thought it would be cool to go to India and close such a deal and be right stoned the whole time.

So, as Nick's girl, let's call her Sara, was finishing up her contract, the three of them took off for India. Sara wanted to do a yoga retreat, head back to her home country for a bit and the plan was for her to meet up with Nick back in Korea where she had already lined up her next contract. So off to India the three of them go.

The boys part ways with Sara in Mumbai and off to the North they go. According to Nick, it only took a matter of minutes to find the kg. when they got to the north. They checked into a hostel and everyone was blazing. They found the hostel supplier, who put them in touch with another guy and voila, they had it just like that. They ended up buying to 1.4kgs of black for $1,400US.

So, I am sure you are wondering by now, how to hell are they going to get this into Korea? Well, they had a plan. It was quite simple. Mail it. Yeah. Mail it. Wtf, right? But the plan had a little more detail than that.

Donnie lived in a yogwon (cheap Korean motel) during some of his time in Korea. He became really tight with the family that owned the place. They treated him like a son. He got his mail sent to this place. Be it cell phone bills or packages from home. So, being so in with the family, Donnie knew the yogwon like the back of his hand. The plan was for Donnie to call and see if a package had arrived. If there was a problem or any police out front, there was an emergency exit that led to a back alley. There, Nick would be waiting on his scooter and they can just get the hell out of there and be gone before anyone knew it. So the boys packed up 1 kg and mailed if off in the post from India to Korea. Remember, the purchase was for 1.4. More on that later.

The plan was for Donnie to head back to Korea because he had to get back to work. Nick's plane ticket was to head back to Korea 3 days after Donnie left. Sara had already headed home. Nick and Donnie had gone over the plan meticulously in India. Well, more Nick than Donnie. He continually went over what they were going to do upon returning to Korea. Donnie was to wait for Nick and stay away from the yogwon until Nick got back.

The night before Donnie was to fly out, the boys went out for drinks. Completely off their heads for hash for days and on the drink that night, Donnie turns to Nick and says 'don't worry, I have a vision that everything is going to be okay'. Nick snapped. He stood up, looked Donnie right in the face and slapped him as hard as he could. Nick knew Donnie was going to mess up this plan. He just had a feeling. He told him in the bar that he needs to stick to the plan and forget his 'vision'. Donnie gives him the 'yeah, yeah. okay' but Nick knew Donnie was not listening. The next day, Donnie flies out for SK. Nick waits for a few days for his flight.

So, I get this call while I am at work. A pay phone number. It is Nick. Says he needs a place to crash for a few days and would it be okay if he grabs my couch. No problem. Besides, I wanted to hear about India. That night I come home from work and Nick is at my front door and I can see the worry all over his face. He is paranoid too. Needless to say, something was up.

Nick comes in and tells me about the purchase in the north, the hostel and everyone smoking, Donnie blazed off his head the entire time, the bar the night before where he had to smack Donnie, the works. Then he pulls out 150 grams of hash. I was like 'you got your package?' Nick replies 'No'. So where did this 150 gs come from?

Nick and Donnie smoked 100 grams in two weeks. They mailed the kg. So with the remaining 300, they split it. They figured if the package was nabbed by the police, they could at least sell 150 each and make up for their losses. How did this get into Korea? Nick told me the worst feeling he ever had in his life was looking a some plastic, 150 grams, vaseline, muscle relaxers and a bottle of vodka. I am sure you can figure it out.

So, back to Donnie. When Nick landed, he called him from a payphone at Incheon. No answer. Called him again. No answer. No answer. No answer. No answer. The plan was for Nick to call Donnie when he landed. There was no reason why he shouldn't answer. Unless....

Nick called around. He had a Korean friend call the police. The police said they knew nothing. He called Donnie's embassy in Seoul. They knew nothing. They called the yogwon. The yogwon said never call again. Donnie got busted. He decided to skip out on the plan and go with the vision. Donnie was in holding.

Nick felt bad, but he was also a mentally hard dude. He looked out for number one. He felt that it was Donnie's fault that he got caught. He should have stuck with the plan. Nick sold his 150 as quick as he could. He bought a ticket home and gave the remaining cash he had to the embassy for Donnie's lawyer. He got the hell out of Korea.

Nick lives back in his home country and is doing his thing. I see him on Facebook from time to time. I think he is just bumming around. Working here and there. Nothing too big. Sara and him broke up. She married a rich dude and is quite successful herself.

Donnie got 4 years. Though I heard he got let out after 2.5 and of course, deported. He went home for a bit but then got back into teaching. He was living in China and met a nice girl. He got into the import/export business (pretty ironic, right!?) and is living a legit life now. He has a couple of kids and looks like life is doing alright. We were in touch after he got out. He said Korean jail sucked, but it was bearable. He shared a cell with a lot of other dudes. Murderers, rapists, con artists, drug importers. All international. No locals. Rice and kimchi everyday. Nothing else. Donnie said he made the best of his time. He improved his Korean in speaking with the guards and Chinese (due to having so many Chinese cell mates). But all in all he is good now. He is a dad, working and happy.

And that is the story.
Remember,
Be Good.

ps, sorry for the lack of editing. I cannot be bothered.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Great story!! I have an interesting tale to tell. I'll keep it short.

Was head teacher at a uni. and we hired Bozo to come and work for us. Unfortunately, the clown couldn't get out of his contract/VISA with this other place, so had to pass. Well, I suggested to my director that we hire a friend of mine. He agreed. So we hired Booboo.

Wel Booboo likes to smoke some grass and actually grew some among his tomato plant in his bathtub up on his rooftop. Was a good teacher did his job and the students loved him. If a student's phone rang in class, he would yell out O Beg WON!! And the student would have to cough up 500 won, on the spot. They loved him even more!

One day Booboo gets a new housemate and her Korean boyfriend sees the grass growing up on the rooftop. He contacts the pigs and the next thing you know Booboos arrested and locked up in a cell for the summer.

Lawyer gets him out by the end of August and he's able to lecture his classes and collect his 500 won coins from his students. The lawyer is as useless as *beep* on a bull and booboo gets a heavy fine and deportation order to be filled no later than Hallowe'en.

Booboo gets a friend of his to cover his classes for the last month & a half. Tells the boss that his mom has cancer and is going under the knife. He needs to go home for a few weeks. The boss says OK.

Booboo leaves Korea and hangs out at home. Call the boss every week~ mom is on death's door~ only days away before she croaks. I should stay a little longer. The boss agrees and said the guy covering him is doing fine. (His mom is actually out back trimming the rose bush!)

Well, Mid-December comes and Booboo finishes paying the teacher for his 6 week stint and Booboo continues to get a paycheck from the uni. until the end of Feb. He writes them and says that he wishes not to renew his contract.

I just found it funny that only for of us were in on it at the time. Our boss had- probably still has no clue about what happened. I just found it to be quite funny! booboo is still living in the West and dreams to return one day to Korea- to his tomatoes in the bathtub on the rooftop. That's it.
Who's next?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mailing drugs from India was pretty stupid.

Didn't occur to them that incoming packages are screened, especially no doubt ones from India?
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A South Korean Drug Story-Finished Reply with quote

Be Good wrote:
Daves has been very slow over the last few years. I saw the post about YBS. Very sad indeed. He was a great contributor to this site. There was a time where this site was a barrel of laughs, full of serious trolls or just all round tomfoolery. I was a long time reader, but just until a year or two ago, I got an account. I hardly post, as you can see for yourself. But I wanted to share a tale or two of the shenanigans that I used to come across here. Here is one of those tales.

This story is over 10 years old now. I won't share the names or the origins of those involved or even the cities here in SK where is all happened. No point. But, I promise you this, it is all true. If you consider it bs, so be it. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. But I won't reveal names or cities. No point. Let sleeping dogs lie.

To the Mods here on Daves. If you feel this story is out of line, by all means, delete it. I was not looking to cause any troubles, but rather share some of the wild shit I have seen go down here over the years. If I have crossed the line, apologies.

Anyhow, shall we....

So, back in 2005 there was a lot of hash around. Me personally, I didn't touch it. I was happy with my life in Korea. I was not interested in getting busted, because, with drugs, it is inevitable to get busted. Besides, I have an allergy to smoke.

So this one guy, a friend of mine, let's call him Nick, heard he can get the stuff in another city at a great price. Nick asks around and low and behold gets a meet and greet set up with the supplier. We will call him Donnie. So Nick goes off to meet Donnie and locks down a deal to buy a massive amount and be the supplier to all the folks he knows in his city. Nick pretty much triples the price and is making fat stacks quite quick. But because he is making fat stacks, so is Donnie. These two become quite tight and are living an ESL high roller life. For the record, no one involved in this story is Korean. All waygooks here. Not even Korean ancestry. We are talking straight up Anglo Saxon blue round eye folks.

Now how Donnie got the stuff, I never knew. And, I never asked. One of the reasons I did not go down (besides having an allergy to it) is because I really kept my distance from this scene. But Nick and I got along and he kept me informed. He also liked the fact that I was not a purchaser, so I think he trusted me that much more.

So anyhow, Nick and Donnie heard that they could go to Northern India and purchase a large quantity of quality hash for a very good price. $1,000 for one kilo. They were convinced the could turn that into $50,000 in two months time.

Now some details here that are important for you to know. Nick was only on a tourist visa because he did not have a degree and ended up here only because his girlfriend was here teaching. It was a great deal for him. Taught a little bit here and there under the table. Free apartment with the lady. Made his visa runs when needed to. Had coin from slinging the black. He was living the ESL thug life. Short sighted indeed, but enjoying himself. Donnie on the other hand was a visa carrying ESL teacher. He had a good gig and overall was really a good fella. He never cared about the money, but more about being buzzed and smiling. It was Nick that was all about the coin. India was all his idea. Donnie just thought it would be cool to go to India and close such a deal and be right stoned the whole time.

So, as Nick's girl, let's call her Sara, was finishing up her contract, the three of them took off for India. Sara wanted to do a yoga retreat, head back to her home country for a bit and the plan was for her to meet up with Nick back in Korea where she had already lined up her next contract. So off to India the three of them go.

The boys part ways with Sara in Mumbai and off to the North they go. According to Nick, it only took a matter of minutes to find the kg. when they got to the north. They checked into a hostel and everyone was blazing. They found the hostel supplier, who put them in touch with another guy and voila, they had it just like that. They ended up buying to 1.4kgs of black for $1,400US.

So, I am sure you are wondering by now, how to hell are they going to get this into Korea? Well, they had a plan. It was quite simple. Mail it. Yeah. Mail it. Wtf, right? But the plan had a little more detail than that.

Donnie lived in a yogwon (cheap Korean motel) during some of his time in Korea. He became really tight with the family that owned the place. They treated him like a son. He got his mail sent to this place. Be it cell phone bills or packages from home. So, being so in with the family, Donnie knew the yogwon like the back of his hand. The plan was for Donnie to call and see if a package had arrived. If there was a problem or any police out front, there was an emergency exit that led to a back alley. There, Nick would be waiting on his scooter and they can just get the hell out of there and be gone before anyone knew it. So the boys packed up 1 kg and mailed if off in the post from India to Korea. Remember, the purchase was for 1.4. More on that later.

The plan was for Donnie to head back to Korea because he had to get back to work. Nick's plane ticket was to head back to Korea 3 days after Donnie left. Sara had already headed home. Nick and Donnie had gone over the plan meticulously in India. Well, more Nick than Donnie. He continually went over what they were going to do upon returning to Korea. Donnie was to wait for Nick and stay away from the yogwon until Nick got back.

The night before Donnie was to fly out, the boys went out for drinks. Completely off their heads for hash for days and on the drink that night, Donnie turns to Nick and says 'don't worry, I have a vision that everything is going to be okay'. Nick snapped. He stood up, looked Donnie right in the face and slapped him as hard as he could. Nick knew Donnie was going to mess up this plan. He just had a feeling. He told him in the bar that he needs to stick to the plan and forget his 'vision'. Donnie gives him the 'yeah, yeah. okay' but Nick knew Donnie was not listening. The next day, Donnie flies out for SK. Nick waits for a few days for his flight.

So, I get this call while I am at work. A pay phone number. It is Nick. Says he needs a place to crash for a few days and would it be okay if he grabs my couch. No problem. Besides, I wanted to hear about India. That night I come home from work and Nick is at my front door and I can see the worry all over his face. He is paranoid too. Needless to say, something was up.

Nick comes in and tells me about the purchase in the north, the hostel and everyone smoking, Donnie blazed off his head the entire time, the bar the night before where he had to smack Donnie, the works. Then he pulls out 150 grams of hash. I was like 'you got your package?' Nick replies 'No'. So where did this 150 gs come from?

Nick and Donnie smoked 100 grams in two weeks. They mailed the kg. So with the remaining 300, they split it. They figured if the package was nabbed by the police, they could at least sell 150 each and make up for their losses. How did this get into Korea? Nick told me the worst feeling he ever had in his life was looking a some plastic, 150 grams, vaseline, muscle relaxers and a bottle of vodka. I am sure you can figure it out.

So, back to Donnie. When Nick landed, he called him from a payphone at Incheon. No answer. Called him again. No answer. No answer. No answer. No answer. The plan was for Nick to call Donnie when he landed. There was no reason why he shouldn't answer. Unless....

Nick called around. He had a Korean friend call the police. The police said they knew nothing. He called Donnie's embassy in Seoul. They knew nothing. They called the yogwon. The yogwon said never call again. Donnie got busted. He decided to skip out on the plan and go with the vision. Donnie was in holding.

Nick felt bad, but he was also a mentally hard dude. He looked out for number one. He felt that it was Donnie's fault that he got caught. He should have stuck with the plan. Nick sold his 150 as quick as he could. He bought a ticket home and gave the remaining cash he had to the embassy for Donnie's lawyer. He got the hell out of Korea.

Nick lives back in his home country and is doing his thing. I see him on Facebook from time to time. I think he is just bumming around. Working here and there. Nothing too big. Sara and him broke up. She married a rich dude and is quite successful herself.

Donnie got 4 years. Though I heard he got let out after 2.5 and of course, deported. He went home for a bit but then got back into teaching. He was living in China and met a nice girl. He got into the import/export business (pretty ironic, right!?) and is living a legit life now. He has a couple of kids and looks like life is doing alright. We were in touch after he got out. He said Korean jail sucked, but it was bearable. He shared a cell with a lot of other dudes. Murderers, rapists, con artists, drug importers. All international. No locals. Rice and kimchi everyday. Nothing else. Donnie said he made the best of his time. He improved his Korean in speaking with the guards and Chinese (due to having so many Chinese cell mates). But all in all he is good now. He is a dad, working and happy.

And that is the story.
Remember,
Be Good.

ps, sorry for the lack of editing. I cannot be bothered.

Wasn't this same story done on Korean television years ago? I remember seeing an episode of some show with a nearly identical story. Right down to the two lads going abroad to buy drugs and one getting nabbed and there being a gf who wasn't directly involved.
Be Good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Harpeau: That is brilliant. I gotta give it Booboo. 6 weeks of work for 4 months of pay, pretty impressive indeed.

@Paddycakes: Yes, they were aware of the postal risks. But as far as they were concerned it was all cheap as chips and a trip to India, so they went for it.

@OBwannabe: News to me buddy. Could make for a great movie possibly, with some twists in there. I think the India night club scene could be something awesome!
Rapacious Mr. Batstove

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A South Korean Drug Story-Finished Reply with quote

@ OBwannabe

Yes, I agree. This story sounds almost identical to Cullen Thomas' Korean drug saga. It was documented in Banged up Abroad E3 E8 2008.

Cullen Thomas also wrote a book on the event: Brother One Cell: An American Coming of Age in South Korea's Prisons

Too many similarities, I call bullshit.
Be Good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about this one...One time, when I was a kid my family went away on a holiday. But they forgot me at home. So when I was there, these two guys tried to break in, but I set up booby traps....and....

Ah forget it, you would never believe me anyhow! Rolling Eyes

Mate, I have never seen Banged up Abroad (though I heard of it) nor have I read the book you speak of. I will watch the episode and if I can get my hands on the book, I will read it.

But this is Dave's. And what is Dave's without the skeptics.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They check any mail coming in that is suspicious in the least way. There might be a way you could ship stuff in undetected in freighter containers. They can't check all of those, although drug sniffing dogs might pick up a scent. Personally it's getting harder to get freebies in life, unless you get a pittance free because you're messed up. People who try to get large amounts of money without contributing anything worthwhile to humanity are pretty much worthless and will probably eventually be set up by people that are more worthless than they are, bigger sharks.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
They check any mail coming in that is suspicious in the least way. There might be a way you could ship stuff in undetected in freighter containers. They can't check all of those, although drug sniffing dogs might pick up a scent. Personally it's getting harder to get freebies in life, unless you get a pittance free because you're messed up. People who try to get large amounts of money without contributing anything worthwhile to humanity are pretty much worthless and will probably eventually be set up by people that are more worthless than they are, bigger sharks.

Congratulations on watching Season 2 of The Wire. It's my favorite, personally.
J Rock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

Season 2 of The Wire is your favorite, bold statement. The first time round I watched it I didn't like season 2, by the third time I watched the whole series season 2 was my second favorite. Still everytime I watch it season 3 kicks ass. I still get sad when Stringer Bell gets killed.
sligo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Rock wrote:
northway wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

Season 2 of The Wire is your favorite, bold statement. The first time round I watched it I didn't like season 2, by the third time I watched the whole series season 2 was my second favorite. Still everytime I watch it season 3 kicks ass. I still get sad when Stringer Bell gets killed.

Series 2 had the best story line, and the best character development, it was just a shame that they rushed the end of the story. The slow build up really worked, then they spoilt it by adding a montage to show how the investigation ended. That story could and should have lasted 2 series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: