Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Euro 2016 to go ahead with fan zones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Euro 2016 to go ahead with fan zones Reply with quote

Quote:
PARIS - French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Sunday that the European Championship soccer tournament will go ahead as planned, despite the attacks in Paris last November and Brussels last Tuesday.

Speaking on French state television, Valls said the "strongest answer to terrorists, in addition to the deployment of all intelligence and security measures, is life. The terrorists wanted to suppress life (...). The Euro should be held, and will be held."

With Europe on high alert, there are concerns that Euro 2016 in France from June 10-July 10 could be targeted, and especially the fan zones where spectators gather to watch games on large screens.

Valls said seven to eight million fans are expected to visit the open-air areas and that authorities will ensure their safety with strengthened security measures.

Security in fans zones "will be guaranteed with the same measures and methods as in stadiums," ensuring that "the party can take place," Valls said.

In the wake of the attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead, France remains in a state of emergency which was recently extended to May 26 - two weeks before the opening game of Euro 2016. Tournament organizers have increased the budget for security by 15 per cent.

But fan zones, which are generally set up in squares or parks near the centre of a city, are particularly vulnerable. According to senior officials handling tournament security, searches for explosives will be carried out at all fan zones when they open each day in the 10 host cities. There will also be systematic pat downs and metal detectors could be installed at entrances.

Fans carrying large bags won't be allowed inside and the areas will be placed under video surveillance.

"France is a great and modern country which is capable of guaranteeing its citizens' security," Valls said.

Asked about the possibility of having some matches played behind closed doors during the tournament in case of an imminent threat, Valls said "all possibilities should be considered, but it is not on the agenda for now."

Valls spoke two days before France's national team returns to the Stade de France for the first time since the Nov. 13 attacks, as the host country continues his tune-up for the tournament with a friendly match against Russia.

Suicide bombers blew themselves up that evening outside the stadium during France's friendly against Germany, killing one bystander.

Source

I once thought about going over to France for at least a week to catch a couple of games. Not a chance now.
tomwaits

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might even safer now than before the attacks.
Security will be mega high.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomwaits wrote:

Understood. But it just takes one jihadist with a bomb strapped to his chest to cause massive casualties.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
tomwaits wrote:

Understood. But it just takes one jihadist with a bomb strapped to his chest to cause massive casualties.

Rolling Eyes

You are far more likely to die while in the bus going to the airport, by having some rare and obscure sickness strike you down, or by getting struck by lightning after getting off the plane, or by getting run over while walking than by a terrorist bomb.

Get a grip.
sligo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
catman wrote:
tomwaits wrote:

Rolling Eyes

You are far more likely to die while in the bus going to the airport, by having some rare and obscure sickness strike you down, or by getting struck by lightning after getting off the plane, or by getting run over while walking than by a terrorist bomb.

Get a grip.

Yeah, but those events don't sell papers.
Oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
catman wrote:
tomwaits wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Get a grip.

Catman has merely expressed concern about terrorism. I don't find that unreasonable, as France and Belgium have recently been attacked by terrorists. Just because one is likelier to be killed crossing the road than by terrorists, it does not follow that one cannot express perfectly reasonable concerns about terrorism. I'm likelier to be killed crossing the road than I am dropping dead of a heart attack at my age, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't entertain concerns about diet and lifestyle.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it would be more realistic to worry about being killed by lightning or some other freak accident than from a terrorist bomb.

If he came on here and said, "I was planning a trip to Africa, then I read a news article about some people being killed by lightning. There is no way I will travel there now." people would think he was being ridiculous.

What he said was more ridiculous than that, but people don't bat an eye because 'terrorism' Rolling Eyes

Give me a break.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to that, if you are not planning on traveling to Syria or Nigeria, your concerns about terror should be pretty mute.
Oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If he came on here and said, "I was planning a trip to Africa, then I read a news article about some people being killed by lightning. There is no way I will travel there now." people would think he was being ridiculous.

That would certainly be ridiculous, because lightning can strike anywhere on Earth. With terrorism, there is good reason to believe that France specifically might be attacked again, as it was attacked twice last year, and an attack on Euro 2016 would be a major propaganda bonus for Islamic State. It is a really obvious target. Someone who would, otherwise, have attended football matches in France, but now would not due to concerns about possible terrorist attacks, is understandable in my opinion, even though the risks of being killed in a terrorist attack are low. I certainly don't think it's very nice to simply dismiss their concerns, saying "give me a break", "get a grip" and putting emoticons on the end of sentences. That just leads me to suspect you have some political (or religious) agenda and get upset by any talk of terrorism. Your avatar, saying "anal lesson", leads me to suspect you have maturity issues, as well, which would explain a lot.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldtimer wrote:
Quote:

That would certainly be ridiculous, because lightning can strike anywhere on Earth. With terrorism, there is good reason to believe that France specifically might be attacked again, as it was attacked twice last year, and an attack on Euro 2016 would be a major propaganda bonus for Islamic State. It is a really obvious target. Someone who would, otherwise, have attended football matches in France, but now would not due to concerns about possible terrorist attacks, is understandable in my opinion, even though the risks of being killed in a terrorist attack are low. I certainly don't think it's very nice to simply dismiss their concerns, saying "give me a break", "get a grip" and putting emoticons on the end of sentences. That just leads me to suspect you have some political (or religious) agenda and get upset by any talk of terrorism. Your avatar, saying "anal lesson", leads me to suspect you have maturity issues, as well, which would explain a lot.

Yes.
catman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no terrorist attacks thus far. Only English hooligans making their presence felt.
catman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out the Russians are far worse.

Quote:
A group of 300 Russian hooligans arrived armed to attack football fans in an organised assault which left 19 British people in hospital, four in a critical condition, The Independent can reveal.

Thugs wearing black T-shirts carried bum bags containing equipment for assaults, including gum shields, fighting equipment and mixed martial arts gloves when they arrived in Marseille on Saturday afternooon. They seized upon the chaos caused by gang violence which had already started in the centre of Marseille – between rival fans of Olympique Marseille and Paris Saint Germain – to launch indiscriminate attacks on English fans.

English supporters ran for their lives but the Russians outnumbered them and were quicker and stronger, unleashing extraordinary violence on them using any available weapon, sources told The Independent.

Article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: