Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is 400,000 won enough for a month?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: is 400,000 won enough for a month? Reply with quote

I have just changed some pounds into won at Asda supermarket and I paid about £280 or so for 400,000 won. should this be enough to get by for a month in Korea? I am not intending to go on any fender benders or anything, not for the first month anyway. Just shopping and the odd drink here and there and maybe the odd meal out at an inexpensive restaurant.
frankhenry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first year in Korea the first month was one of the most expensive. That was over a decade ago. I spent around 600,000 won. It took some time to learn where I could buy the same food items for 20% to 30% less. There are the little things that come up also; tissue, toiletries, kitchen items,,,,, I could have made it on 400,000 or even 300,000 but remember that was some time ago. 400,000 is doable now. It will be a tight squeeze. Don't expect to be living large. Also, will you get paid after a month or will it be 5 or 6 weeks? These things matter.

I suggest 700,000 if you can manage it. If not, live tight. Ramen. Rice. Vegetables. Eggs.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I get paid a month after starting or at the end of the month even if I start two weeks into the month. At least I'll have two week's pay then plus my 400,000. Yeh it will have to be rice and noodles with meat in a cheap restaurant with plastic seats and tables even. I just spent over £200 getting the visa. That was with going to the cheapest notary public I could find for £30. I got the CRC notarised for free by sending it back to the disclosure Scotland people and their governance officer signed it for free. Then the nForeign and commonwealth office apostilled both docs for £60 and it cost me £63 to send it 3 day delivery to Korea. Then the visa itself cost £138 plus commission for buying a postal order about £15 plus special delivery £12.

Thank god I don't have to pay rent. anyway, I hope to get by on 400,000. I can get by on £280 in the UK for a month just I think if I really have to.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your contract state what your pay date will be? A lot of hagwons I know pay their foreign teachers on 10th or 15th of the month - mine used to pay on the 10th, I started on 10th of the month and on the following pay day got pro-rated pay for the days I'd worked. But I've known a lot of people whose first month wasn't pro-rated and have worked 5/6 weeks before they got paid. Check with your employer.

You do need to consider things like utilities and maintenance bills - some hagwons pay them on your behalf and deduct it straight from your pay, whereas others leave you to pay them yourself. My first utility bill was due before my first pay date, but it was pro-rated and was reasonably low.

It might also be worth checking with your employer about who is going to pay for your medical and ARC, because you could be looking at anything up to 100k for the medical, and I think 30k for your ARC, which would make a huge dent in your money if you have to cover it.

Hopefully your job will be within walking distance of your accommodation, and so you won't have any transport costs. If it's kitted out with everything you need, and you don't have to spend money on anyrhing other than food and household cleaning supplies, you should be okay, but really you're only going to have 15k per day, so it could be quite tight.

The rate for changing sterling to won is the worst/best (depending which way you're changing your money) that I've seen in a long time. Before the Brexit referendum, 1mil won got you about £580. I changed 2mil yesterday for my trip home and got £1350.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not bad 2m won 1350gbp. My academy pay on the 3rd of the month so that's ok then. You have to pay utilities and telephone. I won't use the telephone then. get a mobile instead. It doesn't say who pays for the medical but I am assuming they will pay. I take it you had to buy your own ticket back home then? Don't they pay for another ticket if you renew a contract then?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law is you pay half of the medical and your employer pays half of the medical premium. A number of chains are infamous for not complying with this and other legal provisions, most notably by the use of the designation "independent contractor". Post your contract, removing employer/employee names, and you'll get a good run-down on what games, if any, your employer is playing. Note that if something isn't mentioned in the contract, an employer in Korea generally won't pay it even if it's required by law.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have to pay for a phone if you take out a phone contract yourself, the same with cable and internet. There won't be a telephone in your accommodation. Yes, you do have to pay utilities, electricity, gas, water, and usually a maintenance fee. These can vary hugely from apartment to apartment - in my first apartment they were pretty low, but I have a much bigger (and nicer) apartment now, and the bills are a lot higher, but it does include car parking and gym membership. Some places bill each unit individually, others divide the charges out across all the apartments on the floor etc. You'll be able to find out more from your employer.

No, I didn't have to buy my own ticket, my hagwon paid for a round trip home and gave me extra paid vacation time - I negotiated this as part of my contract renewal. Things like that are down to your employer and your negotiating skills. Usually if you renew your contract, the return airfare you would have gotten is simply moved along to whenever you will actually leave. I will still get my airfare home when I (eventually) leave.

I wouldn't assume they'll pay for the medical - is there no mention of it in the contract? My contract specifically stated that the cost of the medical and ARC would be borne by the employee, so it was a nice surprise when my boss paid for it, all I had to pay for were some passport photos.

I'd send a polite email asking the employer in advance just to make sure. I'd also ask if you'll be getting pro-rated pay on 3rd August, or won't be paid until 3rd September. Just say you want to make sure you come with enough money to last you. Or ask your recruiter to contact the employer if you're not in contact with them directly.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
The law is you pay half of the medical and your employer pays half of the medical premium. A number of chains are infamous for not complying with this and other legal provisions, most notably by the use of the designation "independent contractor". Post your contract, removing employer/employee names, and you'll get a good run-down on what games, if any, your employer is playing. Note that if something isn't mentioned in the contract, an employer in Korea generally won't pay it even if it's required by law.

Is this the law regarding your medical for getting your ARC, that the employee pays half and the employer pays half? Or is it just the law for health insurance?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT exchange won outside of Korea (buying or selling). The rate sucks.

You received 1428 won per quid.
The cash rate to exchange pounds to won in Korea is receiving 1470 won per pound.
The base rate is 1500won/pound.

Bring pounds or Euros (too bad the pound tanked after the vote) and exchange when you land.

CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
too bad the pound tanked after the vote

The OP cannot complain about the GBP losing value; after all, he supports Brexit.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aine1979 wrote:
Is this the law regarding your medical for getting your ARC, that the employee pays half and the employer pays half? Or is it just the law for health insurance?

Getting a medical examination for the visa/ARC is a different issue than paying NHI premiums. I was referring to the premiums above. It's between you and your employer who pays for the health check for the visa.

So, OP: Did you happen to sign on with Wonderland or CDI?
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I got some WON in England is because the last time I went to Birmingham airport, I exchanged euros and I got ripped off big time. They gave me almost 1 to 1 pound to euro, not quite but almost. So I thought the same might happen with won, that's why I went to Asda to exchange a few hundred quid. But I see that in Korea you get a better rate so I might take another 150 in case I need it.

It doesn't state in the contract who is responsible for the medical and ARC. I won't post the contract but it does state holiday payment 10 days holiday, pension contributions by the employer paid, severance at the end of the contract paid, health insurance paid (half I think) and you have a social with the students to do every now and then. It does say if you terminate the contract before 6 months you have to pay back the one-way flight plus 1m won for a replacement (teacher?). That's about all I can remember the contract states. Man, it's a long weekend waiting for Monday so they can resume processing my visa. All being well, I should be flying out Friday, Sat, Sunday or maybe a week Mon. I'm guessing it's going to be next Sat.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
It doesn't state in the contract who is responsible for the medical and ARC.

Of course it doesn't; the outfit is a screw job. So, did they happen to mention in the contract if you're an employee or an IC? Did they happen to mention the tax rate they'll be using for deductions from your salary?

Quote:
it does state holiday payment 10 days holiday, pension contributions by the employer paid, severance at the end of the contract paid, health insurance paid (half I think) and you have a social with the students to do every now and then.

10 days holiday is standard: one work-week for the winter, one for the summer. "Every now and then" is quite vague; perhaps the contract had "once a month" or "once a quarter".

Quote:
It does say if you terminate the contract before 6 months you have to pay back the one-way flight

That bit is also standard.

Quote:
plus 1m won for a replacement (teacher?).

Utter bollocks. All this in the contract means is that they won't pay you want they owe you if you have to leave early.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most hagwons from what I've heard are screw joints anyway. I'm getting just 500 quid a month in the UK so I need this job. Who do you work for then? PS? That would do my head in trying to teach a load of elementary kids 8 hours a day. This is an adults job so it will be laid back (from what the current teachers have said).

It states in the contract I am known as the 'Teacher' and the employer as the 'institute'.

The teacher pays 4-8% tax as per Korean law.

It does seem to say however first that you have to pay back the flight if you terminate the contract within 6 months but then at the end it says you have to pay back the flight and 1m won if you don't complete the 12 month contract. So, which is it then 6 months or 12 months? prob 12 but why does it state 6 months first of all?

I am NOT going to pay for my medical or ARC I will make sure the employer pays it.

Severance pay is 2.3m won.

If all these American blondes in their 20s didn't want to travel to Korea for a "job" then perhaps employers would reimburse visa costs and have better contracts.

I bet most hagwons cover themselves in case a teacher leaves a contract early. I bet most ask for their flight money back. I don't know about the 1m won to replace a teacher though. Is this legal to ask for this under labour law?

You seem to moan about other people's contracts. If you don't like Korea, why don't you just work in California then instead? My mate is American and edits films there freelance and last year he made 100,000 dollars. You can make tonnes in California in the film industry why do't you do that instead of teaching kiddies English then if you don't like Korean contracts?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clause about the 1mil won is totally illegal. The airfare is contractual, some ask for it back if you don't complete 6 months, however some say more than that. You'd need to ask your employer about whether it's 6 or 12.

Out of interest, what will you do if your employer says you are to pay for the medical and ARC? It's not uncommon, I see a lot of posts from people on various forums and FB groups saying they were left to sort out their medical and ARC themselves, or asking which hospital is cheapest for the medical etc. Does your contract mention anything at all about the costs of the visa? Hopefully they will pay for it and you don't run into any awkward confrontations straight off the plane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: