Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At which Year did you Officially BURN OUT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
ESL teachers are still a dime a dozen and the ESL market is shifting to Filipinos and Indians etc.. Asians are caring less and less about positions being filled by native speakers.

Correct.

Lee Byung-min, an English education professor at Seoul National University, said that qualified non-native speakers with teaching licenses would be much better for Korean English education than native speakers without teaching licenses. ``We can also choose highly qualified non-native teachers at lower costs as their wages are relatively lower,'' Lee said.

Parents' groups also showed positive reaction to Asian English teachers. ``Korean English education has put too lopsided focus on American English so far and there have been many unqualified teachers at schools. We don't oppose English teachers from India or the Philippines as long as they are proven teachers,'' said Yoon Sook-ja, chairwoman of the National Association of Parents for True Education.

It depends on how good the programmes were that these Indian, Philippine and Singaporean teachers qualified from. If like Korean teachers, they've been trained to teach English in their own language through grammar translation they won't be much good in Korea.

Quote:
We don't oppose English teachers from India or the Philippines as long as they are proven teachers,'' said Yoon Sook-ja, chairwoman of the National Association of Parents for True Education

This will have to be seen to be believed. Not so sure about Filipinos/as but there's no doubt that a lot of, even native speakers struggle with the Indian accent. On the few occasions when I've seen Koreans encounter an Indian they've always complained they can't understand what they're saying. As soon as the kids start telling the parents they don't understand what Mr or Mrs Singh is saying to them in class, you can bet the parents won't assume it's down to little Bum Suk's poor listening skills.
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you so angry world Traveler..lo?
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BURNED OUT? No way.

I'm in my PRIME!

Laughing
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Koreans are still interested in learning English. However, they are changing their locations of learning. English villages are going the way of the dinosaurs. The dancing monkey hokwans are going the way of the dodo bird.

English is in demand. There's plenty of work for those who know where to be.

Where to be? I think unis an public schools are facing the axe? Hakwons still around. Only thing that saves the day is that the numbers of E2s have gone down. I'm guessing private teaching and hobbling together teaching for F6's and F5's?
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burned out now actually. ESL in Korea is failing because so many directors and owners of hagwons have no true desire to teach their students/customers actual English. Everyone is forced to prepare for the Korean SAT, which now has even easier English, which isn't conducive to language acquisition. Searching for a masters program now, and getting out of here as soon as that's finished. Plus the fine dust is getting out of hand, and I don't want my child breathing that in.
mchllgrdnr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work teaching adults and I burned out about... 3 months in? Split shifts and the pettiness of students who are paying way too much for a shitty curriculum cause be the cause... Either way, it's not for me. My contract is up at the end of this month and I couldn't be more thrilled.
oldsurly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent close to ten years in Seoul. I worked at a variety of different jobs with the exception of my last few years. I found a decent school that paid well enough to support a family so I stayed there until I realised that it was time to move on. I'm not exactly sure if I was burnout or it was my innate drive to follow a dream. There were good times and bad. Luckily, there were many more good times than bad. I consider Korea my second home.

If you feel that your current employment isn't cutting it, but you like Korea try somewhere else. If you continue to feel dissatisfied maybe it's time to move on and look at your options. After nearly 10 years I felt like I had done everything I could but, I needed to try to obtain my life long goal. I wasn't getting any younger and what I wanted to do was a younger man's game. Your work experience may or may not translate into anything valuable employment wise, in your home country but, I can assure you that the life experience(s) will. I was actually amazed when I sat down for my interview how well it went. When I received the feed back regarding the interview(s) I was pleasantly surprised by the comments regarding life experiences, maturity, integrity and character. I certainly know that things can be tough there but, it can build plenty of character and integrity. It shows that you can operate successfully outside of your comfort zone and manage stress/stressors well.

I have been absent from Korea for over two years. I have successfully completed a life goal and obtained my dream job, the ceiling is now infinite. I attribute a lot of my success in the process of gaining this job to my experiences good and bad in Korea. I hope that those that feel burnt out look outside the box and realise there is a lot more you can do and achieve goals if you look hard enough. I never thought I'd be where I am today, a lot of it is because I took the risks that I did.

Oldsurly

Last edited by oldsurly on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsurly wrote:
I spent close to ten years in Seoul. I worked at a variety of different jobs with the exception of my last few years. I found a decent school that paid well enough to support a family so I stayed there until I realised that it was time to move on. I'm not exactly sure if I was burnout or it was my innate drive to follow a dream. There were good times and bad. Luckily, there were many more good times than bad. I consider Korea my second home.

If you feel that your current employment isn't cutting it, but you like Korea try somewhere else. If you continue to feel dissatisfied maybe it's time to move on and look at your options. After nearly 10 years I felt like I had done everything I could but, I needed to try to obtain my life long goal. I wasn't getting any younger and what I wanted to do was a younger man's game. Your work experience may or may not translate into anything valuable employment wise, in your home country but, I can assure you that the life experience(s) will. I was actually amazed when I sat done for my interview how well it went. When I received the feed back regarding the interview(s) I was pleasantly surprised by the comments regarding life experiences, maturity, integrity and character. I certainly know that things can be tough there but, it can build plenty of character and integrity. It shows that you can operate successfully outside of your comfort zone and manage stress/stressors well.

I have been absent from Korea for over two years. I have successfully completed a life goal and obtained my dream job, the ceiling is now infinite. I attribute a lot of my success in the process of gaining this job to my experiences good and bad in Korea. I hope that those that feel burnt out look outside the box and realise there is a lot more you can do and achieve goals if you look hard enough. I never thought I'd be where I am today, a lot of it is because I took the risks that I did.

Oldsurly

Well said...

If I may, what are you doing now? What was your dream?
oldsurly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law enforcement.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsurly wrote:
Law enforcement.

I see.

Well done.
oldsurly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
Law enforcement.

I see.

Well done.

You?
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsurly wrote:
trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
Law enforcement.

I see.

Well done.

You?

Not sure, yet. Wink
oldsurly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
Law enforcement.

I see.

Well done.

You?

Not sure, yet. Wink

Your name and quote reminds me of the phrase "The Thin blue line." Relating to L.E.O's and the line they walk between order and chaos.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsurly wrote:
trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
trueblue wrote:
oldsurly wrote:
Law enforcement.

I see.

Well done.

You?

Not sure, yet. Wink

Your name and quote reminds me of the phrase "The Thin blue line." Relating to L.E.O's and the line they walk between order and chaos.

Really? I had not thought of that one.

I choose TB due to its reference during the American Revolution.
oldsurly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: