Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minced Beef in Lotte expensive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Minced Beef in Lotte expensive Reply with quote

Hey, so I just went out on my first Saturday in ROK. I went to the food hall in Lotte supermarket and got about 500g of minced beef. She said it's 17000won. I said "You what!" She said 17000. I said can I have 10,000 worth then. So she puts 10k worth of minced beef in a bag and it looks to be about 250g if that. Why so expensive for a bit of beef? I can't see how it is any cheaper eating out than cooking at home at that rate. And where's the butcher's shops? There's no meat on sale anywhere except the food halls.

On top of this, I got spaghetti and garlic and onion pasta sauce from a 7-11 type shop and that cost another 7000. OK, this will be enough for two helpings, but I don't know about the beef. The beef will probably be eaten up in one helping.

It's just not worth cooking at home is it? Or is it? Laughing Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Minced Beef in Lotte expensive Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Hey, so I just went out on my first Saturday in ROK. I went to the food hall in Lotte supermarket and got about 500g of minced beef. She said it's 17000won. I said "You what!" She said 17000. I said can I have 10,000 worth then. So she puts 10k worth of minced beef in a bag and it looks to be about 250g if that. Why so expensive for a bit of beef? I can't see how it is any cheaper eating out than cooking at home at that rate. And where's the butcher's shops? There's no meat on sale anywhere except the food halls.

On top of this, I got spaghetti and garlic and onion pasta sauce from a 7-11 type shop and that cost another 7000. OK, this will be enough for two helpings, but I don't know about the beef. The beef will probably be eaten up in one helping.

It's just not worth cooking at home is it? Or is it? Laughing Laughing

Contrary to what a lot of people say the cost of living can be high here, especially supermarket food, which is pricier than in the UK. Food from 7-11 is always going to cost more than the big chain supermarkets so avoid them. Big chain supermarkets usually have special offers on things like spaghetti sauce so look out for them. Get a costco card and buy ten jars of the stuff at a time. Having said that 10,000 for 250g of beef sounds steep, maybe it was an expensive type.

Some people will tell you eating out is cheaper than cooking your own food here but what they usually mean is cooking a meal like the one you bought ingredients for is more expensive than eating out on a bowl of noodles or some watery stew with a bit of scrag end floating in it. You could probably get a decent spag bol in an Italian restaurant for 17,000 but it certainly wouldn't have 250g of good quality beef in it and you would have anything left over to cook the next meal.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes the house in the Philippines/Thailand.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is, I can buy American and Australian beef for around half the price Korean beef is now or was 13 years ago.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Good news is, I can buy American and Australian beef for around half the price Korean beef is now or was 13 years ago.
Where? In Korea? ow much mate? Ive got my spag bol on the hob and it's gonna be one meal with some pasta sauce and spaghetti left. I just don't know where I can get cheap minced beef. What about chicken breast and beef burgers? I haven't even seen any beef burgers. I just popped out to a local store and they had bacon spaghetti carbonara in a plastic packet for 10,000. Yikes.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is where you want to go for ground beef from australia. You'll pay about 25,000 for 10-15 good-sized patties - which you shape and freeze at home yourself. Don't buy the other preformed frozen burgers there - waste of quality and money.

Think you may've bought the pricey korean beef. If you see "hanwoo", just run as it's going to lighten your wallet by a ton...and, no, it's no better(though I'm sure many koreans would argue loads about that). Any lottemart, emart, or homeplus will have better priced australian stuff. Ask for "hojusan". Or "miguksan" for american stuff.

Neighbourhood butcher shops look like this...

http://tinyurl.com/z8wlb9g

Avoid the corner stores like the plague unless they have tallboys on 4 for 10, as that's all they offer at a reasonable price.

Last edited by denverdeath on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so they do have butcher's shops then. There aren't any in the city centre where I am though that I've seen. They must be out in the sticks somewhere though. I haven't seen Costco yet. there must be one somewhere I guess.
I'm not going to Lotto again that's for sure. It's cost me 17000 for my dinner today with half a packt of spaghetti left and half a bottle of pasta sauce. That's £11. I can get steak and fries at Wetherspoons in the UK for £6.99. Shucks!
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Oh so they do have butcher's shops then. There aren't any in the city centre where I am though that I've seen. They must be out in the sticks somewhere though. I haven't seen Costco yet. there must be one somewhere I guess.
I'm not going to Lotto again that's for sure. It's cost me 17000 for my dinner today with half a packt of spaghetti left and half a bottle of pasta sauce. That's £11. I can get steak and fries at Wetherspoons in the UK for £6.99. Shucks!

I've only been to ulsan twice, but know there's no costco there. You either have to go to busan or daegu.

Anyway, ALL korean cities have markets and cheaper options. Ask your boss where the markets are near you. The butcher shops aren't necessarily out in the sticks. They ARE becoming less common because of lower-priced places like the ones mentioned(costco, emart, whatever). You might even find a big meat market in ulsan. There's one in busan. Again, for me anyway, the korean steaks there MAY be better priced(than at least the korean stuff at lotte or wherever), but they sure arent the melt-in-your-mouth fillet mignon you may expect.

ulsan fish, if you like fish...

http://tinyurl.com/joqca8g

fruit...

http://tinyurl.com/z8udxvf

Last edited by denverdeath on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a brit so I only eat cod or haddock. don't know if you can get these in Korea. I saw them selling fish in Lotte yesterday but I don't know what they were or how much. Didn't look like cod or haddock though.

So are butcher's shops cheaper to buy meat than in Lotte supermarket?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a brit so I only eat cod or haddock.

Come come now, we're well into the 21st century. Brits have been venturing further out from the fish and chip shop or fish finger fridge for some time now. Salmon, mackerel, monkfish, turbot, tuna, pomfret. you can get them all fresh here.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, denverdeath; did you know you can give those links a short name and thus not have the page unreadable?
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a market on the internet so I've just been there and back. I got about 500g minced beef (Korean I think)for 14000. I still think it's expensive so I looked around the butcher's shops and I found an Australian steak, I'd say about 8oz, for 4000. This is much better. So I have been ripped off twice before finding something reasonable. I also bought a cooked fish for 4000. Potatoes are cheap. 4 for 1600 but that was at the convenience store on theway back. I should be ok for the next 3 or 4 days now.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some buddies literally take a big suitcase with them when they stock up at Costco. Yup, like a big ole' check in piece of luggage lol. Makes it easier to crate the stuff back home.

Might work for you. Hit Costco and hit it hard. Just make sure you have enough freezer/fridge space to store everything! If you have a friend or two who also want to go, you could split the cab fare. Work it out.

But, in the mean time, it's not a bad idea to get on the Korean tucker. You can get a nice bowl of stew with rice and all the fixins for about 5,000-8,000 won, sometimes even less depending on where you are.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Hey, denverdeath; did you know you can give those links a short name and thus not have the page unreadable?

Readable fine on my little samsung laptop, but i'll fix it for you.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found a market on the internet so I've just been there and back. I got about 500g minced beef (Korean I think)for 14000. I still think it's expensive so I looked around the butcher's shops and I found an Australian steak, I'd say about 8oz, for 4000. This is much better. So I have been ripped off twice before finding something reasonable. I also bought a cooked fish for 4000. Potatoes are cheap. 4 for 1600 but that was at the convenience store on theway back. I should be ok for the next 3 or 4 days now

Another good tip if you're not that keen on cooking is to go to a supermarket's ready food section just before closing when they reduce everything. I just picked up some sushi from Lotte Dept store for less than half price. No cod or haddock I'm afraid though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: