Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minced Beef in Lotte expensive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
I found a market on the internet so I've just been there and back. I got about 500g minced beef (Korean I think)for 14000. I still think it's expensive so I looked around the butcher's shops and I found an Australian steak, I'd say about 8oz, for 4000. This is much better. So I have been ripped off twice before finding something reasonable. I also bought a cooked fish for 4000. Potatoes are cheap. 4 for 1600 but that was at the convenience store on theway back. I should be ok for the next 3 or 4 days now.

You haven't been ripped off. That's pretty much the going rate for korean beef. Less space, cows, and more "protectionism" seems to lead to that. It IS nice at a nice restaurant for ten bucks for a 100g, but you can dine equally well or better on the australian or american stuff. Be careful of the mad cow's canada sent america though! Rolling Eyes
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love haddock and cod too. But, you HAVE to try this stuff. I sure hope a little spice isn't going to hurt you???

http://tinyurl.com/z8ap6xg

Romanized it's "dae-gu-bbol-jjim". It's basically haddock or cod with spice, bean sprouts, and chopped onion. Gotta say that half of those pics show it looking like crap compared to the place I buy it. Anyway, usually good eats!
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: RE: The Newborn Entertainment Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
I found a market on the internet so I've just been there and back. I got about 500g minced beef (Korean I think)for 14000. I still think it's expensive so I looked around the butcher's shops and I found an Australian steak, I'd say about 8oz, for 4000. This is much better. So I have been ripped off twice before finding something reasonable. I also bought a cooked fish for 4000. Potatoes are cheap. 4 for 1600 but that was at the convenience store on theway back. I should be ok for the next 3 or 4 days now.
Sorted. Now time to look for a local lady to cook it up properly for you!
greyhound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had that mad cow's disease scare 20 years ago in the UK. Farmers used to feed the cows with sheep offal or something like that and sheep get scrapie disease. So the cows got it. I think that's basically how it happened anyway. People stopped eating beef until the government made farmers stop feeding cows offal of sheep. Some parts of a cow can't be used for human consumption too now.I see on wiki that Korea has had problems importing beef from the USA and they're working hard to protect the people. Stick with Australian beef then you should be OK.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea didn't have problems with importing beef from America. What they did have problems with was damn liars touting falsehoods about American beef. You might have noticed that Korean beef ("han-u") is a lot pricier. And, of course, at least one outfit got busted for selling American beef relabeled as Korean beef.

Want to save money? Don't buy beef in Korea. Don't shop at convenience stores. Don't go to restaurants. Don't expect to eat like you did outside of Korea unless you're fully aware that it will cost you dearly. Eat Korean style dishes at home. Don't go to bars or nightclubs.

Don't go to Costco. Think about how much time and money it'll take to get to Costco from Ulsan. Do you know what you're going to find in the food section there? You'll find some imported stuff outrageously priced, and you'll find a lot of Korean foodstuffs also priced more than elsewhere. It's simply not worth your time or money to go.

Ulsan is a large city. As of October 2014, the population was 1,163,690. That's a lot of people. I just checked Daum's map site for Homeplus branches in that city. There are dozens. Shop at the very large places (Homeplus, E-Mart, Lotteria; but not Hyundae Department Store) on the days they're open. Avoid the convenience stores like the plague. Get thrifty.

And maybe swallow your pride and ask for an advance on your salary.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=korean+cooking+recipes

LOADS of recipes and instruction on youtube.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut to the chase...Budae Jjigae done at home. All ingredients easy to source at the local market....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUc0jiOxE0
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doenjang-jjigae: 된장찌개

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slj_fM1jQVo

Above: Note: If you make BUdae Jjigae at home, only put in the amount of noodles you'll be eating at one sitting. Add noodles and boil up again the next time you eat. Can't leave noodles in the actual stew that long or they'll get all pasty.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Minced Beef in Lotte expensive Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Hey, so I just went out on my first Saturday in ROK. I went to the food hall in Lotte supermarket and got about 500g of minced beef. She said it's 17000won. I said "You what!" She said 17000. I said can I have 10,000 worth then. So she puts 10k worth of minced beef in a bag and it looks to be about 250g if that. Why so expensive for a bit of beef? I can't see how it is any cheaper eating out than cooking at home at that rate. And where's the butcher's shops? There's no meat on sale anywhere except the food halls.

On top of this, I got spaghetti and garlic and onion pasta sauce from a 7-11 type shop and that cost another 7000. OK, this will be enough for two helpings, but I don't know about the beef. The beef will probably be eaten up in one helping.

It's just not worth cooking at home is it? Or is it? Laughing Laughing

Where do you live? In Seoul or the provinces. If you want certain imported or specialty products, they are going to cost more in the provinces. Korean grocery stores, especially in the provinces are set up for people cooking Korean food.

If you're in Seoul you're much more in luck as grocery stores there are catering to more than just Korean food. However prices for somethings are still high. Korea is densely populated, little in the way of arable land, and is relatively isolated in terms of trade access.

For me, I adopted a market approach- Basically go in the market at good times (end of night) and buy what is on sale/in season. By adjusting myself to those things, it saved money and headache. Sure it sucks when you want burgers, but end up with salmon or pork tenderloin, but that's the way things go.

Also, definitely go with Aussie beef for burgers or whatever. Also, consider ground pork instead. Korean beef is good for Korean food, but for some western dishes, it isn't as good. Likewise with Aussie beef, sometimes it just doesn't cook right with Korean food but it is superior for western cooking.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR: He's supposedly in Ulsan.
greyhound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had these white noodles for lunch with an egg on top. I think I#ll give meat in the fridge a skip tonight. I've been eating meat all week. It won't hurt for a night and I save money that way. Laughing
FMPJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Keep us updated.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
SR: He's supposedly in Ulsan.

Then he will be there "For The Big One"!!!!!!!!! Laughing

He is so lucky. Crying or Very sad
candy bar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E A R T H Q U A K E ?

@%#*&^%^&#%@^&*!%**^&
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candy bar wrote:
E A R T H Q U A K E ?

@%#*&^%^&#%@^&*!%**^&

Then the chickens will lay scrambled eggs, and the cows will make their own butter. I would love to see this. I have only heard of such marvelous things happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: