Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John McLaughlin is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: John McLaughlin is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
NEW YORK— John McLaughlin, the conservative political commentator and host of the namesake long-running television show that pioneered hollering-heads discussions of Washington politics, has died. He was 89.

Mr. McLaughlin died Tuesday morning, according to an announcement on the Facebook page of “The McLaughlin Group” series. No cause of death was mentioned, but Mr. McLaughlin had missed the taping for this past weekend’s show—his first absence in the series’ 34 years.

Since its debut in April 1982, “The McLaughlin Group” upended the soft-spoken and nonconfrontational style of shows such as “Washington Week in Review” and “Agronsky & Co.” with a raucous format that largely dispensed with politicians. It instead featured journalists quizzing, talking over and sometimes insulting each other. In recent years, the show billed itself as “The American Original”—a nod to all the shows that copied its format.

I enjoyed watching the show in the late 80s and early 90s, from the late Reagan era to the early Clinton years. I never quite bought the criticims that it was all just a bunch of mindless screaming, since it seemed to me that there were usually substantial points being made.

One episode I clearly remember was in 1988 when they discussed GHW Bush's Willie Horton ads, which had just been released, and the consensus was that they were ridiculous and would have little impact.

link
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw this, I thought it referred to the guitarist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: