Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is now a bad time to move to Korea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Is now a bad time to move to Korea? Reply with quote

So I've been preparing to go to South Korea to teach for the past little while now. Then this Trump idiot comes along and messes with my plan... He seems to be war mongering, although Mr. Kim is being a moron too. It's two idiots together playing my first nuke. Anyways I'm just wondering if any of you guys think that right now is a bad time to move over there to teach? I personally think that this is all just propaganda, but I can't be sure. What's the opinion on that side of the fence? Question
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of experts who study this situation for a living and write columns in newspapers whenever things get tense here about how likely it is that there's going to be a war. I'd read what they have to say about it, rather than people on here.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been rattling sabers for the last 60+ years.

While there have been a few incidents (like the sinking of the ROKS Cheonan) the chances of actual war are slim to none.

Trump won't go first because that puts him in direct conflict with China (ala 1951) and unless his preemptive strike is complete it would mean the destruction of Seoul and 10 million souls.

It is not like bombing Syria where there is no chance of direct military retaliation against American allies (other than Iraq and they have been in constant conflict for more than a decade.

Kim won't go first... he might be a lot of things but suicidal isn't thought to be one of them.

Find a job and move over. The Koreans think it is all smoke and mirrors... local politics is front of mind for them and protest season is due to start soon.

Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed my TEFL so I'm hoping to get there for september. Just getting all my other documentation together. I also have to clean up a bit as I look like a bit of a hippie at the moment. I guess it makes sense why they ask for a picture before you go Laughing

I really do find it odd though that they aren't telling me where I am going to be placed until I get there and do the orientation. It is a public school gig though so that makes sense.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superawesomefuntime wrote:
I just completed my TEFL so I'm hoping to get there for september. Just getting all my other documentation together. I also have to clean up a bit as I look like a bit of a hippie at the moment. I guess it makes sense why they ask for a picture before you go Laughing

I really do find it odd though that they aren't telling me where I am going to be placed until I get there and do the orientation. It is a public school gig though so that makes sense.

Yes I guess it's a combination of not organizing it themselves until the last minute and not wanting people to pull out when they're still at home and they find out they're being sent somewhere ultra rural.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a lot of cases it is simply because they just don't know.

Recruiting begins 6 months before assignments.

Most schools don't know until 60-30 days prior that they will need a new teacher.

Government programs have typically had a 20-40% no-show rate as well since the airfare is not prepaid.

Hence, EPIK (and some of the others) don't finalize placement until orientation and they know who is actually there.

young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is now a bad time to move to Korea? Reply with quote

Don't come to Korea.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air is extremely polluted and getting worse. I'd personally go somewhere with less toxins in the air, but it's your choice.
goat

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, my only big gripe with Korea is the air pollution. However, it's so bad that I've thought seriously about leaving here.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gotta agree about the air. I thought busan's might be better, but read a couple of weeks ago about it being THE worst in the nation. The past two weeks have been awful. I've had a rattly chest and hork up all kinds of crud in the mornings. Close your windows, and use public transportation rather than a car. Get some 3m masks...the BETTER 1s!

A site said 2 day was 'moderate' at 77, or sth. If you look around the map and at the readings, you may be closer to an area close to 200, so keep that in mind. Gotta say it's never bothered me in more than a slight way in the past. I'm feeling it a bit this year, for certain. Blech!
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is now a bad time to move to Korea? Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Don't come to Korea.

plus 1
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Yeah, gotta agree about the air. I thought busan's might be better, but read a couple of weeks ago about it being THE worst in the nation. The past two weeks have been awful. I've had a rattly chest and hork up all kinds of crud in the mornings. Close your windows, and use public transportation rather than a car. Get some 3m masks...the BETTER 1s!

A site said 2 day was 'moderate' at 77, or sth. If you look around the map and at the readings, you may be closer to an area close to 200, so keep that in mind. Gotta say it's never bothered me in more than a slight way in the past. I'm feeling it a bit this year, for certain. Blech!

The air pollution is exactly why my wife and I are leaving Korea. It has definitely gotten worse since I first came here in 2011. The past 2 weeks have been horrendous, and having a baby has only made it worse. We couldn't go outside at all this past holiday and the predictions through the weekend state that the air will continue to be super bad. Many Koreans don't even care about it too. The hagwon that I work at keeps the windows open in the common areas and they look at me like I'm being too sensitive about the air pollution when I ask them to close it.

The health risks of breathing in fine dust are a lot worse than previously thought. Those particles can penetrate every part of your body and cause heart disease. people need to definitely wear masks designed to keep out PM 2.5 particles and not those common cold or surgical masks.
Sister Ray

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Yeah, gotta agree about the air. I thought busan's might be better, but read a couple of weeks ago about it being THE worst in the nation.

This doesn't surprise me. I went to Busan for a short vacation late last Autumn and the whole city was drowning in traffic. There 's a lot of things I like about Busan but the ridiculous amount of cars everywhere made a lot of the holiday quite unpleasant. They've essentially totally ruined their own city with their insistence on using private automobiles.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most polluted major cities of the world:

https://airvisual.com

Busan is in the #2 position.

#1 is New Delhi.

Well, at least you don't live in India.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought seoul would be/was MUCH higher due to the number of people and just as many cars per person there. However, I think it has to do with winds, currents, mountains and whatever.

Looks like the whole nation is bleeding RED now!

http://aqicn.org/city/busan/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: