Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is now a bad time to move to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://airvisual.com/south-korea/busan
https://airvisual.com/south-korea
http://aqicn.org/city/seoul/
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is now a bad time to move to Korea? Reply with quote

J.Q.A. wrote:
young_clinton wrote:
Don't come to Korea.

plus 1

Why not?
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about air pollution isn't enough to deter me. It is, however, enough to make me take necessary precautions. An air mask might not be a bad idea. Most of my leisure time will be spent in the mountains fishing anyways. The air can't be bad there.
frankhenry

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superawesomefuntime wrote:
All this talk about air pollution isn't enough to deter me. It is, however, enough to make me take necessary precautions. An air mask might not be a bad idea. Most of my leisure time will be spent in the mountains fishing anyways. The air can't be bad there.

oxygen tank) check
air respirator) check
don't eat dead fish scooped up in net) check
visit doctor for deep lung cough) check
post on Dave's, I have never seen air this bad in my life) check

Welcome to South Korea- The Land of the Morning Smog
frankhenry

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hiker. It's one of my main hobbies. I tend to go 2-3 times per week, mostly in the mountains. I have stayed inside for the past week. I will most likely being staying inside for at least another week. Yes, the air can be that bad here.
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my research the mountain creeks and rivers are quite clean. I'm not too worried about dead fish, I know better than that.

So you're saying that the air is bad even in the mountains eh? That seems hard to believe. Do you think it's chinas fault?
frankhenry

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my research the mountain creeks and rivers are quite clean. I'm not too worried about dead fish, I know better than that.

So you're saying that the air is bad even in the mountains eh? That seems hard to believe. Do you think it's chinas fault?

The air quality in the mountains varies. Some days it is good, some days it is bad. The air quality has been on the bad side, lately. But hey, what do I know, I have only been living here and mountain hiking for the past 14 years.

Some people call Korea the Swiss Alps of Asia. It is well known for its pristine mountain air and mountain rivers and lakes. It is a hidden gem for fisherman and campers. It is so hidden that even National Geographic hasn't picked up on the secret.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original post, I don't know if it's a bad time to come here now, or not. As long as you have a passport and money, you can leave at any time. If the *beep* hits the fan, get a ticket and FLY! You could always come back later, if there's anything to come back to.
beison

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you're from OP, but if it's America then most of the yelling about the dangers of North Korea is from media trying to keep ratings up.

I bounce back and forth between Korea and the US throughout the year, and when I'm in Korea, it seems the only way to find out info about the North situation is to consult American media.

Just come. It's a great country, has nice culture and food (haters be damned), and you probably won't die from a bomb. Or maybe you will, but life's short so come anyway cause it's worth the risk.

You'll be happy you did.
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for saying something actually positive. I'm from Canada btw. I try not to pay too much attention to certain parts of the media. Kind of seems like it has its own agenda. It's up to us to look at the big picture and use our rational critical thought to figure out what's going on.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were stilling living in - or planning to move to - South Korea I would be concerned when the the newly elected liberal President who seeks reconciliation states that war with North Korea is "a high possibility" ... https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-war-high-possibility-151430351.htm

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-idUSKCN18D04V
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
If I were stilling living in - or planning to move to - South Korea I would be concerned when the the newly elected liberal President who seeks reconciliation states that war with North Korea is "a high possibility" ... https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-war-high-possibility-151430351.htm

Really? I've read that he is in favor of the sunshine policy, and trying to improve relations with China. If there is a way, it will be because American starts it, in my opinion. The new president is more concerned with fixing the economy, going after chaebols, and getting young people to work, and trying to get China to fix there pollution that comes here.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:

I disagree entirely. A Sunshine Left-wing President whose primary mandate will be to clean up the chaebols may herald a prime-time, at least politically, to go to South Korea.

Of course, market circumstances and normal considerations of workplace and lifestyle should dominate one's decision to come to the ROK.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should deter you, and you should be worried about it. It doesn't matter if you are in the mountains here. When the really bad air pollution blows in from China, it's like a large blanket that covers everything. Fine particle air pollution has been known to shorten your life span significantly. When Obama went to New Delhi during the time that the air pollution was well over 157 μg/m3, he lost about 6 hours of his life expectancy. I know it doesn't sound much, but he was only outside for a couple of hours over a 3 day span.

Quote:
An authoritative study in the New England Journal of Medicine examined changes over 40 years of fine-particulate data in 211 counties in the USA, and estimated that a decrease of 10 μg/m3 in PM2.5 (fine particulates) in living environment is associated with a gain of 0.61 years in life expectancy.
This corresponds to around 1% of an adult life of say 55 years, and so, looking at it from a negative point-of-view, we could also say that living somewhere with an increase of 10 μg/m3 in PM2.5 is associated with around 1% off your life expectancy.
1% of a day is 15 minutes. So, pro-rata, exposure to an extra 10 μg/m3 in PM2.5 is equivalent to losing 15 minutes off your life expectancy per day.
We can now make a comparison between any two cities, say Washington (average daily exposure 15 μg/m3 of PM2.5), and Delhi (average 84 μg/m3 of PM2.5 during Obama's visit). The difference is around 70 μg/m3, so noting from point (1) that an additional 10 μg/m3 loses 0.61 years, this difference of 70 μg/m3 would take roughly 7 x 0.61 = 4 years off an average permanent resident’s life. So each day’s exposure to this is as if it takes 2 hours off their life.
Using this metric, Obama’s 3-day stay could be considered as taking 6 hours off his life expectancy. https://understandinguncertainty.org/how-many-hours-life-did-obama-lose-delhi
Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out for war profiteers... This Business Insider analyst thinks that war with North Korea is both inevitable and imminent (and I personally doubt that Trump cares that much about the human costs of war apart from his own selfish interests ...)
http://www.mauldineconomics.com/editorial/george-friedman-us-attack-on-north-korea-is-imminent-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: