Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
14thoctober93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Korean universities Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Is there someone who applied and got into Yonsei/SKKU/Korea/Hanyang/Sogang/Ewha university to get a master? I'm thinking about getting a master from one of these universities as I want to focus on Korean studies. My GPA is 3.3/4, I have several experiences in Korea as I attended three Korean universities before (two summer programs and one as an exchange), I can speak Korean a little bit (Level topic 3), I worked in a student association and I also did an internship abroad (plus the ones I did back home). I'm also writing a dissertation on Korea's economy as I'm majoring in economics. My GPA is not high, I would say average but do you think I stand a chance of getting into one of these uni?

I would really appreciate any comments or tips! Thanks! [/img]
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you currently in an MA or Ph.D. program? You mentioned writing your 'dissertation' (dissertation is usually for the Ph.D.; for your MA, that would be a thesis, for an undergrad, simply a senior thesis or project). Not trying to be a schmuck, just trying to understand more precisely.

A 3.3/4.0 is a decent GPA and shouln't preclude you from getting in to one of the G.S.I.S. I'm assuming from your post that you're talking about the G.S.I.S. at those schools. SNU has one as well, but didn't see that in your post.

One of the SKY schools, particularly Yonsei, is probably best for Korean Studies. You'll need to pass a fluency test to graduate, but as you have a bit of a background in Korean and you'll be in school at least a couple of years, you shouldn't have a problem getting sufficiently up to speed.

Best thing to do, though, would be to apply to all of these schools and then see which one chucks the best scholarship at you. Might help to know in advance that SKKU is known more for its international MBA, and that program provides a dual degree option witih a decent US university to boot. For K studies, all the others would be recommendable.

Good luck to you!
14thoctober93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Are you currently in an MA or Ph.D. program? You mentioned writing your 'dissertation' (dissertation is usually for the Ph.D.; for your MA, that would be a thesis, for an undergrad, simply a senior thesis or project). Not trying to be a schmuck, just trying to understand more precisely.

A 3.3/4.0 is a decent GPA and shouln't preclude you from getting in to one of the G.S.I.S. I'm assuming from your post that you're talking about the G.S.I.S. at those schools. SNU has one as well, but didn't see that in your post.

One of the SKY schools, particularly Yonsei, is probably best for Korean Studies. You'll need to pass a fluency test to graduate, but as you have a bit of a background in Korean and you'll be in school at least a couple of years, you shouldn't have a problem getting sufficiently up to speed.

Best thing to do, though, would be to apply to all of these schools and then see which one chucks the best scholarship at you. Might help to know in advance that SKKU is known more for its international MBA, and that program provides a dual degree option witih a decent US university to boot. For K studies, all the others would be recommendable.

Good luck to you!

Hi! Thanks for the answer! Actually, I'm only a undergraduate student! In my university you are required to write a dissertation in order to graduate even at an undergraduate level!

I actually expressed myself badly as I would like to apply to the international relations major but take elective Korean-related classes! And unfortunately, SKKU doesn't have a GSIS so I'm considering their global business MA! I also know that SNU has a GSIS but the deadline is the end of March and I wouldn't be able to send all the documents by that date.

My first choices would be Yonsei and Korea but I don't think they would accept me because of my GPA (even if I have several experiences to "boost"). What do you think?

Thank you!
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Been in academe quite some time, but have never heard an undergrad piece called a dissertation. Learn something new every day. I also had to learn the term 'rising', as in 'rising sophomore', which evidently means a second semester freshman who optimistically won't be failing out.

Yup, that's what I meant about SKKU.

What do I think? I think you won't know if they'll accept you unless you apply and find out. Yonsei has grown more selective, but, like I said, your GPA isn't bad and you've demonstrated interest in Korea and the K language. Don't see why you wouldn't have a shot. Plus, as you're writing a senior thesis (dissertation at your school), you can make the case that you're ready to take on grad level work.

Craft a strong cover letter and chuck in the applications. It's grad school, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the work of the profs in your target department. It can help if you can specifically state that you'd like Prof X as an advisor because he or she specializes in (insert the topic of interest to yourself). This is uber important for entrance into Doctoral programs, but it doesn't hurt your chances of getting into an MA program, either.

Again, best of luck...
14thoctober93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Interesting. Been in academe quite some time, but have never heard an undergrad piece called a dissertation. Learn something new every day. I also had to learn the term 'rising', as in 'rising sophomore', which evidently means a second semester freshman who optimistically won't be failing out.

Yup, that's what I meant about SKKU.

What do I think? I think you won't know if they'll accept you unless you apply and find out. Yonsei has grown more selective, but, like I said, your GPA isn't bad and you've demonstrated interest in Korea and the K language. Don't see why you wouldn't have a shot. Plus, as you're writing a senior thesis (dissertation at your school), you can make the case that you're ready to take on grad level work.

Craft a strong cover letter and chuck in the applications. It's grad school, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the work of the profs in your target department. It can help if you can specifically state that you'd like Prof X as an advisor because he or she specializes in (insert the topic of interest to yourself). This is uber important for entrance into Doctoral programs, but it doesn't hurt your chances of getting into an MA program, either.

Again, best of luck...

Yep! We have to write a 60/70 pages dissertation on a topic related to what we have studied! Of course, it's not as important as a master dissertation but in my major, we have to start writing it at least 6 months before and is part of our final grade, of course!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely apply and hopefully I'll get into one of these universities! Smile
joeheckel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: MBA in Korea Reply with quote

Check out Sejong University's SASMBA program. It has AACSB accreditation and it is all in English. About half the classes are taught by professors from Arizona State University and the study body is a great mix of students from abroad mostly, only a few Koreans in the classes surprisingly.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For business, SKK's dual MBA is probably the way to go, followed by Yonsei.

Asian or Korean Studies? Yonsei, SNU, Korea, EWHA, Sogang

International Relations? SNU, Yonsei, Korea, EWHA, Sogang

Not necessarily trying to dissuade anyone from attending Sejong, it's just that there are too many good options, and the better options tend to be just as well, if not better, funded.

But don't take the word of someone on an anonymous chat board. Check out the professors' publication records and professional activities, student scholarships, exchange possibilities, internship opportunities, job placement records, and placement records for continuing grads (e.g. into reputable Ph.D. programs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: