Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Immigration Act 50 years later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirius black

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many would agree with you. Certainly most economists but if it makes you feel good to think so, by all means.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:
This thread is better if you listen to this song while reading it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXrDLTSMVvA

That was glorious. Thank you.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
According to Swartz and Kepler, immigrants primarily go on welfare or compete for labor.

Often immigrants to America start their own businesses.

Immigrants are more likely to be entrepreneurs

Quote:
Issued under the auspices of the U.S. Small Business Administration, the peer-reviewed study pulled data from three large, nationally representative government data sets, and found that immigrants are almost 30 percent more likely to launch a business than non-immigrants. According to the study, roughly 16.7 percent of all new business owners in this country are immigrants, yet immigrants make up only 12.2 percent of the workforce in the U.S. It also found that immigrant-owned businesses contributed roughly $67 billion to the country's business income, out of a total of $577 billion in 2000.

The Most Entrepreneurial Group in America Wasn't Born in America

Quote:
[W]ithout the growth of immigrant-owned businesses like Cha's, the recession would have been much worse. From 1996 to 2011, the business startup rate of immigrants increased by more than 50 percent, while the native-born startup rate declined by 10 percent, to a 30-year low. Immigrants today are more than twice as likely to start a business as native-born citizens.

Despite accounting for only about 13 percent of the population, immigrants now start more than a quarter of new businesses in this country. Fast-growing ones, too--more than 20 percent of the 2014 Inc. 500 CEOs are immigrants. Immigrant-owned businesses pay an estimated $126 billion in wages per year, employing 1 in 10 Americans who work for private companies. In 2010, immigrant-owned businesses generated more than $775 billion in sales. If immigrant America were a stock, you'd be an idiot not to buy it.

Six Immigrant Entrepreneurs

Quote:
Chris Folayan, a programmer, moved from Nigeria to the San Francisco Bay area to attend college. Every time that Folayan visited friends and family in Nigeria, people asked for products from the States or the United Kingdom. He started MallForAfrica in San Francisco to help African residents buy products from the U.S. and U.K.

In launching his company, Folayan had to confront stereotypes (that the African continent is magnet for cyber-crime and fraud) and misconceptions (that all Africans are poor and starving). MallForAfrica has beome a multimillion-dollar enterprise, with a network of 70 sites offering more than 7 billion items for sale.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/56571/20150530/immigrant-entrepreneurs-especially-latinos-are-fueling-the-us-startup-economy.htm

Quote:
the Latino share of new businesses created in 2014 has increased from 20.4 percent in 2013 to 22.1 percent in 2014 -- which is also more than double the rate compared to 1996. As of 2013, Latinos made up about 17.1 percent of the U.S. population, up from just over 10 percent in 1996.

. . .

As Alberto Dávila, chairman of economics and finance at the University of Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, Texas, told The Wall Street Journal, "If you dig into the numbers, it's really Mexican self-employment that is carrying this growth."

Such so-called "mom-and-pop" businesses, while fueled by entrepreneurial spirit, don't generally reach close to the same levels of success of other startups, like those famous high-tech, VC-funded "startups" that carry multibillion dollar valuations. Instead, Latino immigrant businesses are more likely to be family-based, and less likely to be funded by outside sources -- an increasingly essential step for expanding a startup beyond its initial phases.

Still, even small businesses make an impact on the local scale, and immigrant entrepreneurs are hugely driving that part of the economy.

For example, according to figures from the Fiscal Policy Institute and the Council of the Americas cited by WSJ, over the last three years in the majority of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., the net growth of new local businesses -- like restaurants, salons, and local retailers -- accounted for by immigrant entrepreneurs? 100 percent.

Immigrants launch over one in four new businesses

Quote:
The new report shows that immigrants continue to be almost twice as likely as the native-born to become entrepreneurs. Immigrant entrepreneurs also launched 28.5 percent of new businesses in 2014, helping to fuel an uptick in new business creation nationally. That statistic is up from 25.9 percent in 2013 and 13.3 percent in 1996.

👆🤔 Once again, PM is deflecting by leaving out the word "illegal". Additionally, and perhaps I missed it, where does this info you have speak of certain tax breaks that legal immigrants may receive, over actual citizens?

Yes, illegal immigrants ARE on welfare...they need help with the 10 kids they chose to have, while being there...illegally.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not want to make a new thread, so here I will post an article about the upcoming oral argument on the challenge to the Obama Administration's Deferred Action for Parents of Americans Program.

United States v Texas

Precedent favors the Executive's Power over Immigration

Quote:
[T]he Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations created a functionally equivalent Family Fairness program, designed to protect from deportation what the government estimated as approximately 40 percent of undocumented aliens in the U.S. at that time—the same percentage eligible for deferred action treatment under DAPA.

I expect that Kennedy and Thomas, Reagan and G.H.W. Bush appointees respectively, may side with Obama. Justice Roberts almost certainly will. The grant of a standing injunction will then appear to be a grievous wrong in retrospection.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas's injunction was affirmed by an equally divided court.

Here, I am going to actually post the opinion. Please read it in its entirety.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-674_jhlo.pdf
GENO123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:
Curious, what is your opinion on visas for families, which must be a major source of legal immigration, and the way in which I have contributed to bringing non-white people to the states?

I am against all immigration and forced integration, Leon. People have a right to make their own choices, but they also have a right to protect their own genetic future from dilution and extinction. It’s only in the last ~50 years that people in the West have been brainwashed by a powerful megaphone media narrative that claims “progress” means forced integration with other groups and wiping out your genetic lineage. This is the historical deviation, it’s in need of a correction. What I’m saying is normal and common sense, and kept communities strong and safe for thousands of years.
trueblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:
Curious, what is your opinion on visas for families, which must be a major source of legal immigration, and the way in which I have contributed to bringing non-white people to the states?

I am against all immigration and forced integration, Leon. People have a right to make their own choices, but they also have a right to protect their own genetic future from dilution and extinction. It’s only in the last ~50 years that people in the West have been brainwashed by a powerful megaphone media narrative that claims “progress” means forced integration with other groups and wiping out your genetic lineage. This is the historical deviation, it’s in need of a correction. What I’m saying is normal and common sense, and kept communities strong and safe for thousands of years.

Geno-Beno,

It seems the verbage was too much for you to take in. So, perhaps you jumped the gun and decided to throw in the towel?

...and yet, with all of your animosity towards Swartz...you live in Korea (do you?)...
GENO123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:

Geno-Beno,

It seems the verbage was too much for you to take in. So, perhaps you jumped the gun and decided to throw in the towel?

...and yet, with all of your animosity towards Swartz...you live in Korea (do you?)...

Trubeblue wants to protect the nazi.Cause true blue is a nazi sympathizer
trueblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
trueblue wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:

Geno-Beno,

Rolling Eyes

How many bottles have you had, Geno-Beno?

Sober up, madam.
GENO123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
trueblue wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Swartz wrote:
Leon wrote:

Geno-Beno,

Rolling Eyes

Sober up, madam.

Being a drinker or loving nazis

Who is going to be more ashamed?
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
GENO123 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Sober up, madam.

Oh, I know! Insinuate he is female next! Because girls are icky and gross!

Or you can mature out of a middle school mentality. Your choice.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller v Acosta

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-J4FvxtD9I

Transcript: http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1708/02/cnr.07.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: