Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gold hits all-time high
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chellovek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
chellovek wrote:
I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree Laughing

Hmm, true gold can't be printed, but nor can any other metal you choose to name.

I think tyranny in a greater or lesser form is part of the human condition whether it is perpetrated by the state or not. As such that's why I'm not convinced by libertarianism and the free-est of markets, it's another utopian vision to me. I'm also not necessarily convinced that libertarianism is compatible with the high degree of regimentation and organisation required in complex industrial socieites. Organisation is necessarily a form of control, so some people will be free whilst others are not.

Actually you make a valid point - lesser forms of tyranny will most certainly always be around in one form or another, it's up to individuals and communities to work to limit the scope of it (part of why we have the 2nd Amendment). But I would counter that only a centralized government is capable of enforcing tyranny over society as a whole.

In regards to money, centralized governments enable and are funded by central banks. Hence the need to end the Fed.

Quote:
Libs always strike me as having their views culturally rooted in the early American frontier spirit of rugged individualism, but those days are long gone and I don't think they will come back. I also think that is why most libertarians seem to be American.

This is also what made America the most enterprising and prosperous nation in history. The bigger our government's grown of the years, the more our country has gone downhill.

I agree with you that these days the central state is one of the only agencies able to operate tyrannical control over a whole society, but smaller communities and individuals can be equally oppressive in a social sense. J.S.Mill has a good chapter about that sort of thing in On Liberty, it almost reads like an angsty nerd's rant against the injustice of jock-dom.

With regards the frontier spirit and American prosperity, I really admire it. That time and place is one of my top 5 answers in "if you could be born in any time and place, where/when would it be?"

I'm not convinced by your argument about the negative effect of the state and decline though. I am a productive and giving member of society (I flatter myself to believe). The British state raised me. When I was young it schooled me, when I was sick it healed me, when the IRA routinely tried to bomb one of my local train stations it sent people to get them away..etc. I followed the rules it set and in return it has to-date taken care of me.

The state is an important piece of society and a collective expression of nationhood. Albeit I still see it as a 'necessary evil'.

Edit-

That is to say, given the unfortunate lot of humanity over the past 10,000 years of civilised history, the British state has given me things most couldn't even hope for.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Gold hits all-time high Reply with quote

Thread resurrection. Spot gold = USD $1051.74 at last quote. Let the speculation on pricing futures continue.
chellovek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5mOT57ghM
sirius black

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'cheap' way of investing in gold is to buy gold mining stocks. They usually mirror the price of gold. Newmont is one such company.

There is a law that was enacted not too long ago that required Americans to register any gold purchases over a certain amount. I think its 1,000 dollars. The conspiracy theorist in me says its to know where to take it when they want it. I wouldn't make any big purchases within America. I'd buy it in Canada or Mexico or some other locale.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fmcmpr wrote:
Gold could easily go up to $3,000 in a year, and $5,000 to $10,000 in the foreseeable future.

Good thing I didn't take the advice of Dave's ESL Cafe posters.
http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/gold.aspx?timeframe=4y
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Gold hits all-time high Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Good thing I didn't take the advice of Dave's ESL Cafe posters.
This. Indeed, for financial investments especially, I second this assessment.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 advice;

invest in gold

get an online English Certificate

learn Korean
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Exigente wrote:
$1,300 today.

$1300 (today in 2010)

$1271 today (in 2017)
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invested in property> doubled in value over the past 7 years

Saved the expense of folly of an online certificate

Still haven't learned Korean to any real measure; used that time to earn extra income
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: