Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get a University job with no teaching experience?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liebenrw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Can I get a University job with no teaching experience? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Korea but don't want to be part of a Hagwon or part of the EPIK program. I'd love to get a university job, but I don't have any teaching experience. I do have a BA in Media Arts, 160hr TEFL certificate, and loads of volunteer experience w/ youth organizations here in the states. Just looking for whether I should spend my time applying to a university position, or if I need to get my foot in the door through a public school or private school organization first.

Any useful advice is appreciated.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Universities usually ask for a masters plus two years university teaching experience. It's possible to get in with a BA and several years experience out in the sticks but with a BA and no TEFL experience you'll be bottom of the pile.

There's probably around 20,000 hagwan and PS teachers already here with experience who would all prefer to be teaching at a university. Also looking at it from a student's perspective, would you have been happy on your Media Arts course being taught by someone with an unrelated degree, no experience, and a 160 hour online cert in Media Arts? I assume not.
goat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I get a University job with no teaching experience? Reply with quote

liebenrw wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Korea but don't want to be part of a Hagwon or part of the EPIK program. I'd love to get a university job, but I don't have any teaching experience. I do have a BA in Media Arts, 160hr TEFL certificate, and loads of volunteer experience w/ youth organizations here in the states. Just looking for whether I should spend my time applying to a university position, or if I need to get my foot in the door through a public school or private school organization first.

Any useful advice is appreciated.

The best bet would be to get some experience first.

The millennial approach might have you waiting too long for a Uni job.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have what it takes to get an E2 you can get a job teaching EFL at a university in a tier 3 city in China.

With the credentials and experience that you have you will NOT be getting a job at a university in Korea. YOu MIGHT get a unigwan position. They are usually less fussy.

Don't be thinking that Asia is so 3rd world. Korea is a G20 country. The money is here and they do have what it takes to attract MAs and PhDs to university programs.

As an applicant with an unrelated degree, a cheap on-line TEFL cert, and no classroom experience ... you are certainly well down the list for anything but entry level at EPIK or a hagwon.

I am the kind of guy you are competing with for those university jobs - MATESOL, M.Ed, 16 years of classroom experience, conference presentations, and academic publications on my CV.

Good luck in your job search.
sigmundsmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 years experience with almost 8 years at university level. MA TESOL with Thesis (topic: Korean University students anxiety of learning English in the classroom).

You have to be realistic. Someone said a unigwon gig. If you're young, blonde and a women from the States, that might be your only option.

But like 99.9% of us, you have to start at the lower end and work your way up the ladder.

I would love to be an International trader - I have a semester studying this at university - but have no experience. But I don't want to start at the bottom. I want to go right up the ladder and bypass a lot of knowledge and experience I would gain.

And you are outside the country (I assume) as well. So, the chances are SFA IMHO.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to take a public school job and work on a distance MA. If you're in an MA program (related major...AL or TESOL), you might be able to slip into a university slot.

Try to get a 3rd tier university position, which will most likely be outside of major city areas, and to accumulate the two years requisite experience. A two year college might also be an option.

Once you have that degree and the experience, try to work your way up the food chain. As you do so, consider knocking out some certs (CELTA and DELTA), as many of the uber qualified have these in addition to related MAs and experience.

In brief, Korea is a fairly mature market so there's no shortcut to a university position; put in the time and get the right degrees like most everyone else. If you're just looking to do a year or three here and don't think you'll be teaching ESL longer term, stick with the public schools and don't waste your time on a teaching related MA or the certs.

Just my 2 cents, but this seems to echo the sentiment expressed by others on the board much more knowledgeable about the field here. Best of luck no matter what you decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: