Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rent in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seamstressfortheband

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Rent in Seoul Reply with quote

Hello!

Just been offered a job in Seoul and my housing allowance will be 950,000 (however, it's actually just paid with salary and thus irrelevant - total inc housing is something like 3.6 or 3.7)

Just wondering how much I can expect to pay in rent? I'll be working in Jamsil area but thinking of living somewhere like Kondae (but open to other locations as well and suggestions very welcome!!). I keep seeing rent has gone up a lot lately, wondering how much I'll have to shell for a one-bedroom apt (not a one room but a loft would be fine)? They also provide 15 million key money but I have some savings and could add to this, if necessary. Not sure how much of a difference key money still makes (if any).

I lived in Seoul 2007-2011 and lived in shared apts in HBC area where I split 3-bedroom apartments for about 1-1.2mil between 3, but I'd like my own place.

Thanks Smile
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends in Itaewon in smallish 2 bedroom places that are paying ballpark 1-1.2 million a month with little down (maybe 5 million?). They travel a lot, so they're not concerned with convenience, though, and their places are WAY up hills. If that doesn't bother you, you can probably get a one bedroom even cheaper. Best thing to do is go there and ask at a few real estate places.

Best bet is to get a Korean friend and head to the neighborhood you're thinking about settling in, for example the Konkuk University hood. Kondae is pretty cool, actually, with lots of ammenities and decent social life prospects.

Good luck! Let us know what you find. I'm sure others will be interested.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Seoul EPIK people now get like 700k-won. And that's barely enough for a 1-room (loft/bachelors pad). So, a mini-two room, or 2-room might be within that 900k-won range on some areas.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
I believe Seoul EPIK people now get like 700k-won.

Only 500k. And they no longer get the renewal bonus.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still hash out this attitude on their application 'only the perfect'. They are starting to screw those that work hard to get a teaching job in the Korean public schools. Reminds me of another cockroach group,who could that be? The Saudis?
seamstressfortheband

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just a heads up, I found a 3 room (kitchen/living area, 1 big bedroom, 1 small bedroom, bathroom - with bath! Very Happy) place in Kyungridan for 800,000. It's not huge, not tiny- I believe 22 pyeong? Don't really understand pyeong but then sq.m or sq.ft doesn't mean a lot to me either! Deposit I think was 10 or 15mil (company provided it, so not sure) - this includes internet and maintenance fee but I had to furnish it myself (except for a bed, fridge, washing machine, stove). I might get a roommate at some point, not decided yet - also that second bedroom is kinda small and dark. Happy with it so far though.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 pyeong = 3.3 sq.m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: