Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea Burn Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amorphous154

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:

"And things have gotten worse than when I left in 2015. So…may stay here a while longer before returning to China or trying somewhere else."

Can you elaborate on this? Things have gotten worse where?

"That’s the top of the pay scale. The only way you get more is by getting recontracted with the school or if you stay in the same program (G/EPIK) for subsequent years after Level 1."

If I had 2 years of teaching experience already, would they be offering me level 1 pay, i.e. 1.8 Million won?

Hi issits. Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I know chronologically or physically I may not be old, but sometimes I feel a bit older. I remember when I first went to Korea around 2009-10 I was pretty gungho, open minded about everything. But now almost a decade later, I sometimes feel a bit more hesitant or overwhelmed at times. I guess I’m pretty battle worn by all the cubicle environments I’ve worked with in the past. I do have faith in my abilities and work ethic though especially in IT.

That’s awesome you have been able to teach in multiple countries. I think part of my hesitancy is because I only taught in Korea a long time ago, and now the standards seem a lot higher to get in then when I went. For instance a lot of the recruiter applications ask for things I never heard before like recommendations or referral checks from past schools. As far as Korean referrals, I do not remember many of my past teachers, and I am not sure they remember me. I also taught in two different provinces, one of which was in gyeongnam. I at least know that Gyeongnam school may not have the most glowing recommendation either. The school was extremely traditional even having student punishment in the hallways and whatnot. My apartment was subpar and I got sick a lot the first year. They liked me enough to ask me to renew but I chose to transfer to a province closer to Seoul and weren’t the happiest to hear that but got another NET soon after. I am guessing that any application with Epik would want all previous schools taught at listed right even bad experiences? My other school was better, but upon completion I moved back home for family reasons. I don’t remember anyone at that school. I had a good Korean-American program coordinator who would be great for a reference, but from what I last heard she has since moved on to the states in a different career.

When you moved back to Korea, did you have to get past Korean referrals? How big of a part of an application is this for consideration? Could I apply just as a brand new teacher? As for American referrals, I guess I’ll have to track down one of my old IT managers but I have no other referrals besides them.

When I went the first time, everything seemed pretty straight forward and easy, I think there was only one video interview I needed to do with a recruiter, send all the documents and then it was off to Korea. I think I am going to try to call a couple of the recruiter offices and just get more information that way as their applications require a lot more than what I was used to.

As far as China, I guess I don’t know a lot about it, I was there for like 10 days in like Shanghai, Beijing, Nanking, etc. The trip was kind of a snap decision, I did not even have a smart phone or laptop with me. I felt at that time that Korea was a lot more westerner friendly. So I guess my opinion on it currently is not very valid. Is the process to get there a lot easier, or would I need to get American and Korean referrals as well? Do they have like coteachers and coordinators to help you out to settle in like they do Epik? What are some good recruiting companies that can help walk someone through what to expect? Are there any problems with China and western countries now that might cause issues for NETs (off the top of my head Tariff wars and the Huawai executive)?

Anyways I’m appreciating all the input here, even though I probably sound a bit like a fish out of water! It’s helping me try to decide if its worth it to try abroad or if I should just get a bank loan or something and move out of the rustbelt to a growing American city! I wonder also if I can apply through these recruiters and also apply here at home, and how far along in the process I would be able to cancel if I decided to stay here in the states?
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a pm
OopsIMadeIt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like nothing but a hijacked conversation to unlighten us with egotistic epiphinots equated as success.

Sorry guys, heard it all before.
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OopsIMadeIt wrote:
Sounds like nothing but a hijacked conversation to unlighten us with egotistic epiphinots equated as success.

Sorry guys, heard it all before.

Interesting take.
I can't speak for the others, but I wasn't equating my experience with 'success'. I was trying to illustrate that, for some, the experience in Korea does matter. It was a means to an end, that brought lasting friendships and great memories. I put the experience to work for me, to improve my life and to widen my perspective. I'm a different person, having lived there.

I'm sure the average immigrant with poor English skills living in your country feels the same way as you felt in SK. Maybe you felt like it was a vapid treadmill existence because you let it be that way. What exactly did you expect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: