Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Positions in Smaller Cities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: University Positions in Smaller Cities? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was browsing through the forums and saw Pragic mention that you may be able to "slip into a university slot" if you're enrolled in an MA program. My contract will be complete next September and I'm already kind of rolling around options in my head. I have an unrelated BA (history), a cheap online TEFL cert, and by the time my contract is up two years experience at Hagwons and I'll be a year into my distance MA program.

I'm wondering if anyone with similar credentials has managed to get into a university slot. My MA is in linguistic anthropology/applied anthropology (my thesis and fieldwork will be on the endangered language documentation/revitalization side of linguistics though, so unrelated to ESL). Has anyone managed to slip into a small town university like this? Is a BA, TEFL, two years experience, and being halfway through an MA enough to get into a place like Dongguk University in Gyeongju or something? I don't care about being in Seoul, Daegu, or Busan, or any place like that.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's advertising? Shoot them all an application! Never know until you try. I've had friends over the years even at universities in Seoul who worked with a BA while enrolled in distance or local MA programs. Again, you never know!

Best of luck with it!
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Who's advertising? Shoot them all an application! Never know until you try. I've had friends over the years even at universities in Seoul who worked with a BA while enrolled in distance or local MA programs. Again, you never know!

Best of luck with it!

Thanks! I suppose I'll just give it a shot when the time comes! This wouldn't be happening until my contract is up next September. I saw some university ads on the job board and I saw that Dongguk University in Gyeongju was hiring via a local foreigners' group on FB. It got me curious. I'd rather be teaching adults and the 2-3 months vacation, free rent, and 2.8+ million won per month I'm seeing in ads is enticing. Much better than my Hagwon gig. I figure if being halfway done with an MA is potentially enough to get in, why not try?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: