Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in small companies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oatmeal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Teaching English in small companies Reply with quote

I'm thinking about teaching english at some small local companies/businesses in my area. It's my first time considering doing this. I was wondering what the rates I should offer them?

My guess (please feel free to adjust if I'm way over or under):

One on one: 50k/hour

2-4 employees in a small class: 75k/hour

5-20 employees in a small class: 100k/hour

Does this sound about right? Competitive? Too high or too low?
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the rates are these days, and it's been a LONG time since I taught small business classes. Back around 1995-1996, I charged 80K/hour for a class of about 10 (two days a week for 1.5 hours a pop). That was straight up spoken and written business communication.

I had a class of two executives at a large company, who mostly wanted to discuss global business trends, and they paid 120/hour (one two hour class per week) Very kicked back, and most days included a lunch with makoli. Ah, the good ol' days.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that sounds amazing...yes, good ol days (even though I've never lived here back then). I really need to try and start this for myself. I'm both scared and stressed but also exciting to see what I can experience and gain from this.

It just seems that nowadays there is more competition (from apps, and tutors that charge way cheaper from the philippines, that westerners could never compete with even though our english is "native"). I don't know many westerners who would accept $5/hour wage but I think something like that, even $10/hr is golden for an english tutor living in the philippines. Still, nothing beats face-to-face, in-person teaching and experiencing the cultural benefits of a native speaker versus just talking over an app on the phone with someone.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should go without saying, but show up, dress the part, act professional, and do a great job. If you're not going to take pride in what you do, don't bother doing it. Referrals should take care of themselves. Why?

I was always amazed by those who showed up late, looked like crap, acted like the world owed them a living, and then tried to cut corners and/or do obviously substandard work. And then they were surprised when the phone stopped ringing!

I'd strongly suggest having the right visa. You could play it a bit loose way back when, but less so these days.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good points! yes, I agree.
Would most of these places just pay you privately / under the table or my guess is if it's a company class, it will be on the record and they would use funds from the company (recorded for audit later)? I'm wondering if they would ask me for my ARC number or passport / other personal information?

I suppose if they have my information documented, then I'd have to be legal to teach and get paid AND/or start paying taxes for whatever income I'm getting from these privates or classes? Do I need to register myself as some sort of "business" with a registered business number?

What do I call myself? English Instructor? Consultant? Freelancer? I'm looking for a nice wordy / professional title to give myself rather than to walk in and say, "Hi, I'm an english teacher and I would like teach anyone in your company english" lol.

Maybe make a nice business card with my fancy title "English CEO Manager Private / Global Consultant Instructor.....(?)"
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was back in the time of the magic white envelope. Companies could play loose and fast with the money and weren't so concerned about declaring taxes.

Not now. Most corporate jobs will insist on paying to your bank account. One option is to work through an agent. The company can pay them 'on the books', and then they might agree to pay you under the table. Don't know. Been out of the game a while and have had permanent residency for a long, long time.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with Consultant, Corporate Communications' or something like that....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: