Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The End of English
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperfuzzBigmuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: The End of English Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
goat wrote:
It looks as if English Education, in Korea, is doomed. It's going to be brought to an end through Elementary 2.

What's your Plan B as the market shrinks?

I'd teach somewhere else. I taught in China last year. Wasn't bad. A few inconveniences (internet, sending money home), but ultimately, I could go back if things shrunk too much here. Some schools pay better than here and the vacation is way longer.

There are a few other places I'd check out, too.

Anyway, yeah. Plenty of other countries in the sea.

Really? Given I want a $2800 min salary; not paid hourly; non-related BA and CELTA

Japan - market flooded
Vietnam - no easy getting well-paid FT gigs
Cambodia - a joke
Indonesia - a joke
Thailand - a joke

Where should I go? I've heard first-hand the ME isn't what it used to be.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's far from doomed.

I was here for quite a few years before public school jobs even existed and the English education business was doing just fine.

Public school jobs are the reason why the mega hagwons disappeared. When I came to my city it had a population of roughly 500,000, The largest hagwon had 1200-1300 students. And there were quite a few hagwons with 700-1000 students.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one could say less profitable than before, generally speaking?

I remember you were bragging about making 20 million a month profit minimum from your hagwon and recruiting business. Still pulling that? I doubt it. But I could be wrong. Am I?
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Maybe one could say less profitable than before, generally speaking?

I remember you were bragging about making 20 million a month profit minimum from your hagwon and recruiting business. Still pulling that? I doubt it. But I could be wrong. Am I?

I stopped the recruiting when my son was born. It's too time consuming and I prefer to spend that time with him.

As for making that kind of money. I'm making quite a bit more than that these days. My hagwon is triple the size now with well over 300 students.
goat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be depressing for anyone not bringing in 4 million a month NET Profit.

Sad
isitts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The End of English Reply with quote

SuperfuzzBigmuff wrote:
Really? Given I want a $2800 min salary; not paid hourly; non-related BA and CELTA

Japan - market flooded
Vietnam - no easy getting well-paid FT gigs
Cambodia - a joke
Indonesia - a joke
Thailand - a joke

Where should I go? I've heard first-hand the ME isn't what it used to be.

You’re not making that with most jobs here. In China I was making 15,000 RMB which is about 2.5 million won. Housing allowance was an additional 3,000 RMB (515,000 won). Cost of living is less there. Add private lessons and your $2,800 is fairly easy to attain.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:

Sad

It could/can be, especially for those on an F visa. Most Fs can make 4-5 monthly fairly easily if theyre not completely lazy aSS3s. An E2? Busan has 2.1-2.3 for the norm still these days. Nothing to be ashamed about. The market has been stagnant, at best, for LOTS of years.
goat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
goat wrote:

Sad

It could/can be, especially for those on an F visa. Most Fs can make 4-5 monthly fairly easily if theyre not completely lazy aSS3s. An E2? Busan has 2.1-2.3 for the norm still these days. Nothing to be ashamed about. The market has been stagnant, at best, for LOTS of years.

You're right. Heck, 2.0 is a good salary in this economy.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the market is going in Korea, in that because of fewer jobs, hopefully more qualified people will be hired. If you are having trouble finding jobs, perhaps China or Vietnam could be better (or the Middle East if you wanna make big money). Thailand is nice to live in but hard to survive in without the right connections or conditions.
weigook744

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
denverdeath wrote:
goat wrote:

Sad

You're right. Heck, 2.0 is a good salary in this economy.

In this economy? Not sure what you mean. The US economy has recovered and is doing quite well. The market is much less flooded with foreign teachers than it was 5 years ago. I'd say from 2009 to 2014~2015, the market was really flooded. Now not so much. Also, China has opened up a lot of teaching positions. So, it should be easy to get a job. Now, the pre 2009 work conditions here in Korea were really awesome. It is not as good as that now, but currently better than 5 years ago.

Lots of Facebook groups have jobs in the 2.5 million range and many on here too. If anyone is nickle and diming for 2.0 million or 2.1 million, you either negotiate for more or tell them to piss off. You're a patsy if you accept 2.0 million won. Remember, they also pay one way flight. So, now you demand an extra 100,000 a month to compensate you for not paying the return flight. So, instead of 2.5 mil, you ask for 2.6 mil or maybe even 2.7 mil and let them beat you down to 2.6.

Ideally, for those making 2.1 in 2007, you should be up at 2.9 or 3.0 with inflation. With huge minimum wage hikes coming, you should be up even more than that by 2020 or 2021. Will wages go up to 3.5 or even 4.0 by then? NO, time to plan to move on by then. Costs are going up. In the meantime, if you have experience, you should be negotiating for the upper 2's even if you are still behind inflation these past 10 or 11 years.

Accepting 2.0 or 2.1 means you have no self respect and that you also have no respect for the rest of us as you keep wages low for everyone by accepting. Anyone who accepts such a low ball offer should be shunned and avoided until they start demanding higher wages. If we all demanded this, then we would all be in a better position.

Anyways, those ASAP if you have your documents ready are the best way to throw your weight around. Also, friendly reminder, check your contract carefully. Some like Slave Labor Program try to vaguely define a contact hour and have you working crazy amounts of time.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
goat wrote:

Sad

Accepting 2.0 or 2.1 means you have no self respect and that you also have no respect for the rest of us as you keep wages low for everyone by accepting. Anyone who accepts such a low ball offer should be shunned and avoided until they start demanding higher wages. If we all demanded this, then we would all be in a better position.

The same goes for people accepting silly hourly paid rates like 20-40 an hour. I can kind of understand fresh out of college newbies taking jobs for 2.1 million but most of the hourly paid jobs are for F visas - people who should have been here long enough to know better.
recessiontime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an acquaintance that wants to teach for a year or two. Is S.Korea still viable in 2019?

I did some teaching in Japan 7 years ago and it was a complete joke in terms of earnings. Those were the days.

Also I noticed there is virtually nobody on this forum anymore. Almost deserted. I remember back in 2010 this place was teeming with people.
amorphous154

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im interested too, is Korea still viable now or did people move to another board for esl discussion?
creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I saw this posted on another board and I tend to agree.

Would YOU consider spending money to learn another language now?
I know I wouldn't. There is a ton of material on youtube. I watch "chinespod" or I will watch a Chinese show with and without subtitles.

There are also apps around. There is technological advancement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exNlD17wcVQ

This may not be satisfactory for everyone but technology is coming on in leaps and bounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: