Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Degree Reply with quote

My boss told me last night that she needed my original degree, something to do with INS, whatever that is. Problem is, it is safely back home, as for obvious reasons, it's not what you pack for a jaunt overseas. What does she need it for??? She really doesn't speak english, so I can't ask her. To be honest, I don't want to get it sent over, being expensive, and also, I don't want it ruined, which it could be. Plus, I don't just want to hand it over to someone to do god knows what with. I have a photocopy of my degree, that has been notarised by the Korean Embassy in Wellington, which is what i needed for my E2 visa, so why can I not use that instead??
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any viable reason why your boss would need your degree. Unless you are intend in brushing up on your hostage negotiation skills.

CM
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might know what she is talking about. What she needs is a copy of your degree issued by your school with its seal on it. That is it. She doesn't really want the the one up in the frame. What I don't know is if you can do this from Korea, or have a proxy do it for you back home. I really have no idea.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copies (notorised) are all that is generally required once the E2 is issued. Maybe you could get a high resolution colour scan of the original emailed (or sent over on cd rom/floppy etc) to you then print it out on some good quality bond paper using a photo type printer. Looks and feels like the original and if you throw in the Notorised copy (copy of it anyway) it may save a lot of hassle. Just an idea! Getting a copy of your degree from the uni usually has to be done in person, is expensive, and takes more than five minutes.

Still crazy, still here.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what does she need it for? Surely immigration don't need it. It's just bizarre. But thanks for the info.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably needs it for the Tax Dept. or the Education Dept. but copies of the Notorised Degree should suffice for these people. My boss asked me for my original, but I gave him a scanned copy to use as he pleased, no problems at all. They just need to see the document. Thats why it is always best to use colour copies or reprints.

Cheers, I am makjued out at the moment, so enjoy.

Still crazy, still here.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: bro Reply with quote

na bro, tell your boss NA cant do it aye!
tell her its at your house back in welly, and you aint taking it down from the top of mums fireplace...
just say I already have a visa it has been approved by the embassy, so just give her the scanned one you already got! and say sorry thats all I can give you... unless you fly me back to NZ and then I will take it from my mums house, ohh naa say its in storage, yeah yeah, then I will take it out of storage ONLY I CAN DO IT! cuz my parents live in Auckland and I live in wellighton, so if you pay for the return flight then sure I will give it too you...
hahah free flight home bro...of course she wont send you, but if she does , man can you bring me back some VEGEMITE , ohh and a KEBAB, oh and a pie, and some fish and chips! ohh *beep* just ask your boss if she will shout me too!!
hahahahah laters man, give her nothing!!!
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: I think I know what your talking about Reply with quote

From memory your boss needs to register you with the education department. If you already have an e2 visa that's the only thing she would need it for. My boss did the same thing with me last week, your alien registration card + your notarised degree should be fine for the process.

CLG
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue flower,

I happen to know you're from NZ. I wonder if this request for your original degree is a hangover from about 2 years ago when Korean immigration got it into their heads that degrees from NZ were dodgy in some way.

I remember hearing many applicants for an E2 from NZ were denied because a few were found to be fakes from maybe Thailand.

I'm sure about this but it's possible they have decided to do an authenticity check on your degree.

But don't worry. Your degree is real. Right?
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is for the Ministry of Education. Again this gets into the location. Every consulate, every embassy, every immigration office they always just seem to work on some random whim.

In my current mindset I would have it sent by DHL, and I would insure it for say several thousand dollars and pray that they lose it on the way. Just kidding (in part) just have whoever sends it save the tracking number ( a seven digit number) on the side of the red address label (usually just airport codes), they will put on the cardboard envelope.

You should be able to get it back from any agency that is "viewing it" the same day.

Japanese immigration lost my original years ago and what seemd like a nightmere, turned out to be a tempest in a teapot really. You get a new one sent to the embassy after going in and swearing that you are who you claim to be.

A worse problem is being careless of who you send scanned copies to. Some Canadian guy is wandering around claiming to be me ( A very poor choice! My Life! Good Luck Fool!) by posting a bogus ad on Tealit.com in Taiwan.

I might note that a previous poster perhaps has some expertise in this regard.

Oh immigration at least, will also take faxes as long as it comes from the University itself, and this includes transcripts.
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
But don't worry. Your degree is real. Right?

I guess so, I did get to wear that pretty black gown, and that lovely black hat, and have photos, and cake .... and it did cost me close to $50,000 so I guess it's real. Though on the other hand it is from the University of Waikato, which is hardly the most illustrous campus in the country. Maybe thats why?
paulc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original masters degree certificate is currently in Korea, and I am in the UK awaiting my visa - and about to fly out in two to three weeks.

I wasn't concerned at the request to send my original document, as I actually have two degree certificates - the second was issued to me by mistake.... so I figure what does it matter if anything happens to that, since I still have another original?
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I ask why you had to send your degree to Korea? I just had to send mine to the Korean embassy in NZ.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDR-
Thankyou for your kind words (?), assuming they were directed at me. I merely offered a suggestion that may have saved a lot of time, hassle and expense, let alone disappointment should the original go missing. Hence the scanned method.
Before my first trip to Korea a few years back I was told that my original was ONLY acceptable for the E-2 process, but after checking I found that a notorised copy is perfectly legal. But to be on the safe side I went to my uni a got a copy of my original degree issued with transcripts etc. Lucky I did, because they lost the damn thing, but I had the foresight to have a high resolution scan on my laptop available. This was simply printed out and was accepted as a legitimate replacement. I was luckily given two sets of transcripts and handed over the second set, they did the calls and checks and were happy as. Low and behold shortly after the paperwork was completed the damn copy was lost as well (for all I know, someone is now running around using my degree to bankroll an ESL lifestyle). When I went home for a short break, I went back to the uni and got another copy.
It took me too damn long and a lot of cash and no sleep to get that original one, and no-one is getting it from me.

Still crazy, still here.
mulletlvr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: oh no Reply with quote

I recently sent a notarised copy of my degree and it was rejected in korea. When I was given instructions I wasn't told to also get it notarised at the korean consul down here (my stupid mistake), so anyways, my visa was denied and I have to start the process all over again.
My contact there told me to speed the process up to send my original degree and all my other forms to the school - but now I am getting worried. I hope I didn't have to get that one notarised by the korean consul down here? I sent my transcripts and everything along with it but will it just get rejected again? Should I just tell her to send it back to me before it is lost in the process and go to the consul here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: