Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use a KORAIL Pass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GirlyGal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Can I use a KORAIL Pass? Reply with quote

I am an American living in Korea. Does anyone know if I am able to purchase and use a KORAIL Pass? I�ve checked the website and it seems that I can�t (since I�m living in country), but I�m not entirely positive. I�d appreciate anyone�s feedback on this. The last time I headed to Pusan, I drove and it was exhausting. This time I�d simply like to kickback and relax. Hopefully, someone can share their knowledge with me� Very Happy
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not worth it, even told that to people coming over for the world cup last year. They are only good for 7 consectutive days max and the price you pay in dollars in way out of line when you convert it over to won. Max fare is like 35-40,000 won each way for Samaeul first class

Besides unless you are trying to leave Seoul on a Sat there are usually plenty of seats available. If not the first class buses are pretty good.

The KORAIL pass is the Korean way of gouging foreign tourists
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're staying in Korea for a while, you might want to buy a Barota card (see www.barota.com), which allows you to reserve tickets online far in advance, and pay upon pick-up.

It costs 20,000won, which I believe is refundable upon return of Barota card.
elmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IconsFanatic wrote:
If you're staying in Korea for a while, you might want to buy a Barota card (see www.barota.com), which allows you to reserve tickets online far in advance, and pay upon pick-up.

It costs 20,000won, which I believe is refundable upon return of Barota card.

true true.
and you get a small discount (2%, I think) and you get "train miles" that add up if you travel a bit.

highly recommended. The web site is in Korean (there's English too, but I don't think you can make reservations from the English part), but after you learn once you can do it by yourself later.
GirlyGal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: I'll Check It Out... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice... I will definitely take a peek at www.barota.com. It sounds like a good deal. Hopefully, I can still read Korean... took a year at Yonsei, but slowly I'm forgetting it all. If I have more questions, you just might be hearing from me again! Laughing
magill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: barota card Reply with quote

There is an English web site now

http://english.barota.com/eng_main.htm

Easy to use, go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: