Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also the overnight ferry..

leave 5pm arrive 8am (i think)..

ya can get different types of rooms.. i always get a private cabin..
2 beds, desk, tv, coffee, etc

to shimonoseki the ferry has a bathroom and shower but to fukuoka it only has a wash basin..

get yourself a 1 litre bottle of duty free 53% wylde turkey for 20 bucks before you leave and there you have it..

220,000 for a return much cheaper if you want to share some floor with koreans in a big room..

it is a relaxed way to do it if you have some time..
just because

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that ferry once and shared the floor.

NEVER AGAIN Very Happy

I'll stick the Beetle.
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rooms were good.. i'd never take the floor..

screw the boats altogether..

next week when i go i'll be flying from gwangju to pusan and from busan to fukuoka and the same way getting back..

does anybody know if the consulate still processes visas the same day?

last year i was able to drop it off before 10 and pick it up at 4pm.. that still happening?
just because

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylde wrote:
does anybody know if the consulate still processes visas the same day?

last year i was able to drop it off before 10 and pick it up at 4pm.. that still happening?

Last time i was there they told me that i had to pick it up the next day and i dropped it in about 10:30 in the morning.
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea.. there was a 10am deadline...

1 second after that and it was next day
manlyboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez I hate bloody typhoons! My flight got cancelled so now I'm going on Monday. Does anybody know of some good, cheap accommodation in case I don't make that 10am deadline?
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap+japan doesnt happen.
there is a youth house, but its always booked and it wont save you that much anyway.
youll drop 50,000 won a night on a room.
central fukuoka hotel is okay.
wylde

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylde wrote:
you might find a few other foreigners at the airport that are going to the consulate...

even if you don't just jump a taxi at the airport and get him to take you to the consulate.. not that expensive..

when you come out of the consulate gate turn right and a left at the intersection... walk about 1 kilometer or so and you should find a few motels for about 5000 or 6000 yen for the night....

airport or ferry terminal.. either one as they both aren't that from from the consulate...

the 1 kilometer or so could be 2 or 3 but it is an easy walk... it didn't seem too far when i walked it before... just keep walking on that road and they'll appear... then its just the same walk back to the consulate in the morning.

any cheaper than that will see you sleeping in a capsule..

a capsule is like a big coffin with a tv.. just for sleeping.. i think it 3000 or 4000 a night.

try the following link.. it lists what could be all fukuoka motels

http://www.fukuoka-now.com/hotels/index.php
manlyboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. I did the visa run on Monday and was able to get it all done in one day. Interestingly, there was no 10am deadline. I didn't make it to the consulate until around 11, so I was mentally rehearsing a "have mercy" speech, but the nice lady just said "come back at 4:30". I lost some time getting from Tojin-machi station to the consulate. The street signs don't include English so I missed the turn into Yokatopia-dori Avenue and then had to back-track. From the station take exit 1 then walk straight until another main street comes up on your right - that's Yokatopia-dori Avenue.
Here's a cool website on Fukuoka - www.rainbowfia.or.jp - it's a monthly newsletter with tons of info for visitors.
Thanks to wylde for the info. I owe you a beer and a sake, mate!
wylde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wuckers..

how did you get back?

or did you stay the night?

it seems to me the only way to get back on something that leaves after 5pm is 1 flight on jal or the overnight ferry with leaves at 5 or 6...

11am? nice 1. i had been refused at about 10.10am before.. she must of liked you Wink i've always had a hard assed guy when i go there. i'm going next monday.. hopefully the same will happen for me..
ladyandthetramp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went on a one-day visa run on Wednesday. No problems. I got to the consulate around 11:00 in the morning, and some people who showed up later were also on the same return flight as me.

The city is really boring, though.
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my monday flight was cancelled due to the typhoon

my thursday flight was cancelled due to fog

had to get the stupid beetle..

update on some info...

turn left and right when coming out of the consulate? NO.. it's just a left. walk past the hard rock and the dome and you will find the hotel twin after about 1 kilometer..

there is also another motel in tenjin called the 'riverside motel'.. it costs 4200 yen a night and it is a reasonable room. hard to explain where it is..

on the same day visa thing..

@ 9am the guy in front was getting the 3.30pm beetle from fukuoka.. he showed the guy at the consulate the ticket and the guy told him to come back at 2pm..

it seems they are being a little more flexible on the same day thing lately..

going to japan seems like a chore these days.. not as much fun as the first 5 times Rolling Eyes
matthews_world

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of remaining 2004 holidays in Japan and Korea. This is just a general list. Expect the Korean consulates in Japan to be closed. Check the date before departure.

REMAINING JAPANESE HOLIDAYS: http://www.shinnova.com/part/99-japa/abj04-e.htm

AUTUMN EQUINOX - Friday, September 24th and similar to the Spring Equinox in its festivities.

HEALTH - SPORTS DAY - Sunday, October 10th. To promote health and physical development. Also in commemoration of the 1964 Olympics which were held in Tokyo.

CULTURE DAY - Wednesday, November 3rd, established in 1948 as a day for appreciating peace and freedom and to promote culture.

LABOUR THANKSGIVING DAY - Tuesday, November 23rd. A day to appreciate and thank all those who support society by their work. Originally, it was a thanksgiving for the harvest.

EMPEROR AKIHITO'S BIRTHDAY - Thursday, December 23rd, the birthday of the present Emperor.

O-SHOGATSU - New Year's day and the first few days of the New Year are the most important Holidays of the year. They are filled with customs and traditions to make sure that the year ahead will be a good one.

****It should be noted that holidays may not be observed on the actual date, and for example, if the holiday falls on a Sunday, it may be observed on the Monday following.

REMAINING KOREAN HOLIDAYS: http://www.wbkenglish.com/holidaydates.asp

FOUNDATION DAY - Sunday, October 3 (The founder of ancient Korea, Dangun, founded the nation on October 3, B.C. 2333.)

CHRISTMAS DAY - Saturday, December 25

NEW YEAR'S DAY - Saturday, January 1st and Sunday, January 2nd.
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sticky guide has not been much help for those of us not taking a ferry from Busan. Though I have done this trip many times, it's still nice to have a refresher course before going out. I'm leaving here on Thursday this week via Asiana Airlines.

I usually have taken the subway, but does anyone know if I can just take a bus from the domestic terminal to near the embassy?
Little Laura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawner88 wrote: This sticky guide has not been much help for those of us not taking a ferry from Busan. Though I have done this trip many times, it's still nice to have a refresher course before going out. I'm leaving here on Thursday this week via Asiana Airlines.

Just what I was thinking. My question is: is it possible to fly to Fukuoka from Seoul and back on the same day? My travel agent is telling me it's not...but I think I've heard people say they've done it.

Last edited by Little Laura on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: