Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlyboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fukuoka run advice Reply with quote

Little Laura wrote:
Shawner88 wrote: This sticky guide has not been much help for those of us not taking a ferry from Busan. Though I have done this trip many times, it's still nice to have a refresher course before going out. I'm leaving here on Thursday this week via Asiana Airlines.

Just what I was thinking. My question is: is it possible to fly to Fukuoka from Seoul and back on the same day? My travel agent is telling me it's not...but I think I've heard people say they've done it.

I did it six weeks ago.
Little Laura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manlyboy wrote:
Quote:
I did it six weeks ago.

Which airline did you fly?
manlyboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Air booked through Top Travel in Jongno (YMCA building).
just because

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine there must be flights from Fukuoka to Seoul.
There are 2 flights daily from Busan to Fukuoka so I'd imagine there would be even more from Seoul.

Pro Tip: Travel Agents speak a lot of crap, just go directly to the airline.
A good one is kangsan travel in Busan www.kangsantravel.com. They will send your ticket anywhere in the country and opeate like a western travel agency.
Little Laura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Hotel Information Reply with quote

Directions to River Side Hotel, decent room if you want to cut corners. Can't remember what the lady at the desk originally quoted me for a single, but she immediately said, "Discount - 4210 yen." First room smelled too smoky to me, then she showed me one that smelled less, though not without a bit of a musty smell. Bathroom and bedroom looked clean, but carpet slightly dingy.

From Hakata station: Find the adjacent bus terminal (actually, I took a shuttle bus there from the international terminal at the airport; costs 190 yen. Put two 100 coins in the box up front and it'll make change for you, then put the 190 in the bigger box up top.)

Anyway, at Hakata bus terminal, go to gate 12, then take bus no. 6 one stop to "Ekimae Sam Chome." 100 yen. You could walk it in 15 minutes or so - you go down the big street that's perpendicular to the train station (not the main street that the station is situated on) walking on the right hand side of the street until it ends at a big, odd-shaped T intersection, mentioned below, with a sky walk above and a fork in the road to the left. You're almost there, skip through the following directions by bus until you get to this intersection, then pick the directions back up.

I took the bus because I was confused about the street names and directions. If you take Bus 6, when you get off at Ekimae Sam Chome, walk forward in the direction the bus was headed. At the first traffic light, cross over to the other side of the road and continue in the same direction for one longer (than the first) block. You'll be at a big, odd-shaped intersection with a sky walk above; there will be a largish supermarket on the corner on the right, the corner you're standing on. Cross the street heading in the same direction, turn right and walk ten feet, literally, then turn left and head down that alley. After one tiny block the alley enters a well-lit arcade. The top of the entrance has yellow tiles, and four little arches. River Side Hotel is the fifth establishment on the left.

I stayed at a nicer hotel and was quite pleased with it, Chisan Hotel, alternate spelling: Chisun Hotel. The hotel desk at the airport made the reservation for me. It was 5775 yen. The room was super clean, not the faintest odor...clean wallpaper, clean carpet, pressed duvet cover over down duvet...and very good service. It was across the street from the bus 6 stop mentioned above, Ekimae Sam Chome. Also there's the Maruko Inn right there as you get off the bus at this stop; I think I was quoted 5200 by the airport reservation desk.

Last edited by Little Laura on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommynomad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from picking up my visa in Fukuoka (a potable bribe came in VERY handy). The adjosshi at the embassy asked me to pass along this titbit:

(Due to a recent increase in application volume) as of 01.11.04, visas will no longer be issued same-day at Fukuoka. All applications, no matter when submitted, will be ready for pickup the following day at 10 a.m. AT THE EARLIEST.

Wording mine. Half-weary, half-evil grin Twisted Evil his.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much is a one way trip on the ferry from fukuoka to busan? and how does it work with tickets? are there usually enough available that i could walk into the ferry terminal, buy a ticket and be on the next boat?
just because

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how much is a one way trip on the ferry from fukuoka to busan? and how does it work with tickets? are there usually enough available that i could walk into the ferry terminal, buy a ticket and be on the next boat?

90 000 won.
most probably on weekdays, not on weekends.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
I would imagine there must be flights from Fukuoka to Seoul.

Yes.

Sparkles*_*
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time wise, would it be realistic to be able to take the JR train from tokyo to fukuoka, ferry to busan and then KTX up to seoul, in one day?

would there be any visa issues when i land in korea? my teaching contract and E2 visa will be finished here in seoul october 31st. ill be flying to japan october 30 and then ferrying over to busan probably around november 5th.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohahkehte wrote:
time wise, would it be realistic to be able to take the JR train from tokyo to fukuoka, ferry to busan and then KTX up to seoul, in one day?

Yes I think so, but it is cheaper to fly between Tokyo and Seoul than to do that mission of a trip.
Quote:
would there be any visa issues when i land in korea? my teaching contract and E2 visa will be finished here in seoul october 31st. ill be flying to japan october 30 and then ferrying over to busan probably around november 5th.

Doubt it, your E2 visa is up so they should stamp your passport with a tourist visa. When they ask reason for visiting just say you are travelling and want to see more of Korea so they don't ask too many questions.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
ohahkehte wrote:

Yes I think so, but it is cheaper to fly between Tokyo and Seoul than to do that mission of a trip.

but then i dont get to see pwiddy sceneawee
susans70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: going on visa run Reply with quote

doing the visa run on monday oct 8-tuesday oct 9; i booked the package through kangsan travel in busan - though i am not in busan, you can pick up your tickets at the ferry terminal. if anyone else is planning on going then let me know!
one question though...if anyone knows...the ferry doesn't arrive until 12 noon - will that be a serious problem for drop off time at the embassy?? doesn't leave until 2:30 the next day so not a problem to pick up the next day. also, does anyone know how much it is for a canadian visa?? (or an easy place to find that out)
thanks for all the helpful advice that's been posted!
just because

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

susans70 wrote:
...the ferry doesn't arrive until 12 noon - will that be a serious problem for drop off time at the embassy?? doesn't leave until 2:30 the next day so not a problem to pick up the next day. also,

Should be no problem if you hot foot it over to the embassy(though I have always dropped mine off in the morning). If you don't have to pick it up until the next day then you should have no hassles.

Have fun.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not know if you all are doing a full run with the accommodations & nightlife, like in the Osaka thread, but thought anyone doing an overnight/weekend might want to know they have opened a Sam&Dave's meat-market (like Tokyo/Osaka chain) in Fukuoka now.

Regards,

Glen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: