Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Visa runs Reply with quote

On the subject of Fukuoka visa runs - just in case you've had to check out of your hotel, there are lockers in the mall opposite the Korean consulate where you can leave your stuff... near the Nike shop.

There are also lockers in the Fukuoka tower, which seems a bit strange to me - potential terrorist target??

Anyway hope this is useful and you don't have to spend all day carrying your stuff around like we did Evil or Very Mad

Another thing I forgot:
It's been mentioned that you might not be able to get a visa in one day in Fuluoka, but we had no problems picking it up at 4.30pm when we handed over our documents just after 9am.

Last edited by Wildman on Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa runs Reply with quote

Wildman wrote:
There are also lockers in the Fukuoka tower, which seems a bit strange to me - potential terrorist target??

Fukuoka Tower a terrorist target??? Jesus youve been watching too much CNN....
grinchly1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: ferry packages Reply with quote

Daami wrote:
For some fairly decent round-trip packages from Busan to Fukuoka, try a place in Busan called Kangsan Travel. (kangsantravel.com) They cater to foreigners (english speakers anyway), and I got a round-trip, one night hotel package, for 190,000won. Not sure if it's just the time of year or not, but I figured that wasn't a bad deal. Going from Seoul, you can now get the really fast express train to Busan and then the ferry to Japan - a cheaper option than flying and you can do it in 2 days.

I just bought a ticket this week from Incheon to Fukuoka. It is on Japan Airlines and it cost me 255,000 (including tax). If you are going to Fukuoka from Seoul (and by boat) then you need to buy a ticket from Seoul to Busan. On the KTX this will cost 90,000 won round trip. If you add this to the 140,000 won cost of the boat from Busan to Fukuoaka, then it is practically the same price to fly...... and it's less than an hour flight time.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ferry packages Reply with quote

grinchly1 wrote:
Daami wrote:
For some fairly decent round-trip packages from Busan to Fukuoka, try a place in Busan called Kangsan Travel. (kangsantravel.com) They cater to foreigners (english speakers anyway), and I got a round-trip, one night hotel package, for 190,000won. Not sure if it's just the time of year or not, but I figured that wasn't a bad deal. Going from Seoul, you can now get the really fast express train to Busan and then the ferry to Japan - a cheaper option than flying and you can do it in 2 days.

I just bought a ticket this week from Incheon to Fukuoka. It is on Japan Airlines and it cost me 255,000 (including tax). If you are going to Fukuoka from Seoul (and by boat) then you need to buy a ticket from Seoul to Busan. On the KTX this will cost 90,000 won round trip. If you add this to the 140,000 won cost of the boat from Busan to Fukuoaka, then it is practically the same price to fly...... and it's less than an hour flight time.

Kangsantravel's boat deal is including hotel. Remember that you are going to be hit with a minimum equiv of 60,000 Won for hotel in Fukuoka. You're going to top out, if you're lucky, at 300-310,000Won, excluding visa fee and food/expenses. Kangsan's deal, with the KTX trip, tops out at 280,000Won, with a guaranteed hotel rate (no post-arrival hotel hunting surprises or cheap suite overbookings, which tend to happen.) and the flexible option of taking the cheaper mugungwha train (42,000Won roundtrip) or bus to Busan (34,000Won roundtrip), if you wanted to reduce costs further. So, technically, you can bring it down to the 230,000Won range, if you wanted. The boat trip thru them still looks better financially.

Besides, they always have deals going on. For example, they have a deal right now for boat and hotel for 159,000 Won, if you go on certain days for the remainder of this year. So that's like 240K with KTX, or 200K with the slower train. You could've saved yourself 70-100,000Won, depending on where you end up, hotel-wise. More money for Crazy Cock or Happy Cock. Smile
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On other note, here are my two bits on what I've been picking up on cheap Fukuoka accommodation.

For those of you that are into using 24hour saunas w/sleeping quarters, for ultra-inexpensive travel within Korea(usually around 7000Won/night, give or take), you'll happy to know that Japan's onsens(saunas) have a similar set-up. A lot of the onsens have sleeping quarters there, but the only one that I know for sure that is 24hrs in Fukuoka is:

Manyo No Yu
092-452-4126
Yutaka 2-3-66, Hakata-ku
Exit city expressway Domestic Airport ramp, turn right
http://www.manyo.co.jp/hakata/index.html

The rate is 1890Yen (19,500Won), but if you show up after 3am, they only charge 1570Yen (16,000Won) for the night.

Next cheapest is probably the Dazaifu Hostel(I think might be mentioned in the LP guide) which is 2800Yen (29,000Won), but they can only hold 24 ppl. So, you might be SOL once you get there. And it's a bitch to get to, or so I've heard.

1-18-1 Sanjo
Dazaifu City, Fukuoka-ken
818-0111

Dazaifu's number is +81-(0)92-922-8740, if you want to call ahead. I've never called, but I'm sure that they speak enough english to give directions or whatnot. It's a traveller's hostel.

Next up from that, and you're looking at capsule hotels, like:

Capsule Inn Hakata
4-56 Gion-machi
Hakata-ku
Fukuoka City
812-0038
Gion-machi
+81 (0)92 281 2244

Large, sleeping coffins with mini-TVs start at 3160Yen (32,000Won). It has a spa/sauna.

If you are a private teacher doing tourist visa runs(or if your E2 sponsor is being cheap on the visa run allowance) on your own dollar, but plan to stay overnight, then the above info is more relevant to you, than an E2 teacher who is being properly covered by the school. If your school has given you, preferably, 350K+ to work with, then look up a cheap 5000Yen hotel at http://www.fukuoka-now.com/hotels/index.php You can do better than the oft-mentioned Green Hotel, IMO. I went there on my last run and I know I can do better than their 6000-6500Yen/night. (I actually saw a c0ckroach in the lobby, last time. Mind you, the 7-11 down the street totally kicks ass for 3am munchies Smile )Hence, why I'm looking into this further and sharing my research.

No matter where you end up, make sure you carry the phone numbers with you and utilize the cute english-speaking Japanese girls at the info kiosks at the ferry terminal, and get them to hit the phones for you, assuming that you're not booking online, in advance.
just because

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronicpride wrote:
Next cheapest is probably the Dazaifu Hostel(I think might be mentioned in the LP guide) which is 2800Yen (29,000Won), but they can only hold 24 ppl. So, you might be SOL once you get there. And it's a *beep* to get to, or so I've heard.

Just a heads up on Dazaifu.

Don't waste your money, it is SOOOOO boring. You might as well just spemd the extra 3000 Yen in Fukuoka.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to Fukuoka, you might as well stay in Tenjin or near by... Dazaifu is about 20 or 30 minutes out on the train (400 yen each way???) and theres nothing out there but a temple and some rice fields.
The Manyo No Yu place is out by the airport so if your going out to tenjin at night keep in mind that youll be paying for the taxi ride home...probably 2,000-3,000 yen.
The Capsule Inn Hakata is in Gion, which is walkable from Tenjin, but kind of far.
Spend the extra cash and stay somewhere close. Thats my advice. Whats 2,000 yen anyways??
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, my friend and I are going to Fukuoka on Thurs, Dec.2 and coming back on Sunday, Dec.5. In addition to clubbing in Tenjin, we will also be taking a train on Saturday to Beppu, Japan's hot-spring capital. We'll be back on the Beetle to Busan on Sunday. PM me, if anyone is doing the run that week and wants to come along.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: shared accomodation? Reply with quote

Last edited by wanderer on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
dford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: this weekend Reply with quote

Anyone on a visa run to Fukuoka this weekend? Or even better...someone on a visa run who knows the city.........
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dford,
i'm in fukuoka right now, and i'm bored to tears. i don't know the city from a hole in the ground, but if you're around, we might as well not know it together. i'd like to further extend that invitation to anyone else who is going to be in fukuoka at any point during this week. i'm staying at the Heiwadai Hotel, right next to the korean consulate. the phone number there is (092) 732 5000 ext. 405. my korean mobile phone doesn't work here, so that's as good a plan as i can come up with right now for you to reach me.

also, i'd like to add that i had a hell of a time trying to hunt down an internet cafe. turns out there's one within a ten minute walk from my hotel, called Cybac.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet cafes in Tenjin:

Cybac located on Nishi Dori - cant miss it...theres a yellow Porche hanging from the side of the building. 8th floor.

Giga Tenjin located below Junkudo book store - this is the cheapest one in Tenjin. From the underground shopping area in Tenjin, pass through Core and Vivre buildings. Youll get to a music store which is on floor B2. Giga is on floor B1.

An internet cafe whos name I cant remember right now is located on Meiji Dori - its got a big red and grey sing and is the closest to the bar district on Oyafuko Dori. If you dont have a hotel for the night, get a booth here and spend the night for a few thousand yen.

By the way, I live in Fukuoka so if anybodys coming over and would like to get a beer or twenty pm me and Ill show ya around.
ookpic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Great trad Guesthouse right downtown Reply with quote

There's a great little Ryokan right dowtown . To get to the hotel, take the subway from the airport to the downtown. Get off at the "Gion" stop. Take exit #2. Turn left at the first corner. Walk 2 blocks and turn left. The Kashima Honkan Ryokan is 2 doors up on your left. It has a nice courtyard, complimentary tea service, traditional bath and restaurant. They also have a small map of the area. From here, its a ten minute walk to Canal City. Phone ahead for reservations and price: 092-291-0746 address: 3-11 Reisan-machi.
The same subway gets you to the Korean Embassy which is close to Fukuoka Tower and Hawk's Town, another mall complex with a Hard Rock Cafe.
Finally, along with free subway and city maps you should pick up a free "Welcome Card" discount booklet at the airport or at the Tower. It gives discounts on food, hotels and admission prices. Restaurant food and drinks are double the Korean price, supermarkets (24 hour one close to Canal city) are cheap.
Check out things to do and pics at http://www.travelsongs.com
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I might have to do a visa run to the city.

Is the Korean consulate open on Saturdays? Will they be open the day before or day after the three-day Lunar New Year holiday? Is there a contact phone number and/or email someone could post?

Thanks in advance.
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatthefunk wrote:

An internet cafe whos name I cant remember right now is located on Meiji Dori - its got a big red and grey sing and is the closest to the bar district on Oyafuko Dori. If you dont have a hotel for the night, get a booth here and spend the night for a few thousand yen.

that's no lie. if you come here on a limited budget, the internet cafe is the place to sleep. not only is it so much cheaper than a hotel, but it's comfortable, quiet, private (you have your own little cubicle), and of course you get to use the internet the whole time. i just woke up after a solid night's sleep in one, and i wish i had been clued into this earlier. they even have a shower room here! i love japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: