Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kwanju protests this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masty

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Kwanju protests this weekend? Reply with quote

I'm on my way to Kwangju this weekend and it is the anniversary of the 1980 massacre. I heard there are annual protests and I was wondering if anybody knew the where and when. Also any suggestions, of where we should stay/eat and what we should do while there, would be appreciated. Thanks.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Kwangju, though my knowledge of the actual street names etc is virtually non-existent(and I speak no Korean). Last year, there was a few days of celebration(yes, it was an actual street festival)held on the main street near the downtown, near the government building known as Provincial Hall. Ask someone for directions to the downtown YMCA, and you should be right there(I believe they call it the YMCA in Korean). Right in front of the Provincial Hall is a plaza of some sort called Democracy Square. Also, the Catholic Centre, which played a major role in the uprising, is on the same part of the street. I thnk both the YMCA and the Catholic Centre are known by their English names.
Also, the event last year was quite nationalistic in orientation, f*cking usa and all that, and while I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS being accepted into the crowd(they even good-naturedly encouraged me to enter this mock police state prison cell they had set up), it might be a good idea to go along with a Korean friend if you can.
I know there are actual memorial commemerations for the dead, one at a cemetery I believe, but I don't know much about them. Anyway, hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand has it all right. Bring a camera and a note book, collect the pamphlets for you are in for a great history lesson. Current fashion in thinking amoung the students who put on this show is that the that the US of A is wholy responsible for ordering US troops into Gwangju to run wild and kill at will on that 18th of May and there after. (Of course they know this isn't true, but their contextualization of the issues and near belligerence with which they deliver their message, makes it seems so.) Oh, wait, that was General Chun with Korean troops? The organizers go after the US and not once do they look at themselves in any of this. It is a complete orgy of ethnic nationalism and diatribes about the US of A, at least in the downtown. If you want something more dignified, go to the memorial serve at the May 18th cemetery, at least you can feel the honor, and purpose of why 5.18 happened.
Alias

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
On the other hand has it all right. Bring a camera and a note book, collect the pamphlets for you are in for a great history lesson. Current fashion in thinking amoung the students who put on this show is that the that the US of A is wholy responsible for ordering US troops into Gwangju to run wild and kill at will on that 18th of May and there after. (Of course they know this isn't true, but their contextualization of the issues and near belligerence with which they deliver their message, makes it seems so.) Oh, wait, that was General Chun with Korean troops? The organizers go after the US and not once do they look at themselves in any of this. It is a complete orgy of ethnic nationalism and diatribes about the US of A, at least in the downtown. If you want something more dignified, go to the memorial serve at the May 18th cemetery, at least you can feel the honor, and purpose of why 5.18 happened.

There is an interesting article in today's Korea Herald by Cho Sy-eon(sp?) concerning the revisionism of Korean history which is being done by ethnic nationalists. As you may of heard, if it was not for the US, the two Koreas would be united today in peace and harmony.
The Gwangju revision is totally pathetic. It dishonors the memory of those who died.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Last year, there was a few days of celebration ... held on the main street near the downtown, near the government building known as Provincial Hall. Ask someone for directions to the downtown YMCA ... Right in front of the Provincial Hall is a plaza of some sort called Democracy Square.

This guy is generally right. The YMCA is a longstanding KJ landmark and everyone knows where it is. In Korean, it sounds more like "YM-She-A".

I had to laugh - in front of provincial hall is a plaza of some sort called Democracy Square? I wonder how it got that name?

weatherman wrote:
Current fashion in thinking amoung the students who put on this show is that the that the US of A is wholy responsible for ordering US troops into Gwangju to run wild and kill at will on that 18th of May and there after...

Anti-Americanism may be hip these days in Korea, but its a way of life in KJ for years. In fact, "Anti-American Day" is May 21st. I'm assuming your post is a little sarcastic, but the truth is not so clear-cut:

http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/korea/story/kwangju/
http://www.kimsoft.com/2002/anti-US.htm

An interesting thing to do is take the walk to mangwoldong, the cemetary where the known dead (and subsequent martyrs) are buried. It will take about an hour and will be easy to find, as the highway will be full of people. Its a great way to spend the day.

Oh yeah, and check this out - if you don't know anything about 5-18, this site has good info in English

http://168.131.50.85/kcs/book/book.htm
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, Kok, I actually live right in that 'hood, so I cannot plead foggy recollections or anything like that. Foggy awareness of the world around me, perhaps.
Last year, I did think the ceremony was somewhat debased by an incessant focus on the speed-skating atrocity(they played the incriminating video on a big screen over and over, to the thrashing tune of you-know-what). I mean, I'm more than willing to accept the reality of US involvement in the massacre, but doesn't it sort of trivialize the whole affair by suggesting that this act of mass murder was on the same par as a bad reffing call? Ah, nationalism.
I saw the piece in the Herald. Cho is a major right-wing anti-MDP type, who nonetheless manages to make the occasional good call. I did think that he somewhat skirted around the fact that many innocent people apparently died in the Che-ju suppression, and instead focussed on the fact that they were in revolt against the government, and so should not be honoured by that same government.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Believe it or not, Kok, I actually live right in that 'hood, so I cannot plead foggy recollections or anything like that. Foggy awareness of the world around me, perhaps.

By 'hood, do you mean KJ or mangwoldong? There was no ceremony at the cemetary last year?
On the other hand wrote:
I saw the piece in the Herald. Cho is a major right-wing anti-MDP type...

I took a quick look for this, but couldn't find it. Is it online?
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kok:

By "ceremony", I meant the street party. Yes, I'm sure there was a ceremony at the cemetery last year. I live in Kwangju, near the YMCA. A year and a half so far. Don't know the what the actual address is.

OTOH
Dugstool

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Masty, I can't let you go experience this America Bashing Bash on your own. I suppose I will tag along. The bottle of Absolut I am bringing for the train will no doubt raise fear and anger in the koreans that will be sitting around us. Looks like we are on the lookout for the YMCA. I hope we can get some more info!
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to Kum-jung-lo yesterday to check all the action. As usual it was a lot of anti-american dogma, but I didn't stay around too long. Once I saw a father taking pictures of his two sons throwing darts at a cardboard painting/mock-up of the statue of liberity painted in a pretty twisted way, I knew I saw enough.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
Bring a camera and a note book, collect the pamphlets for you are in for a great history lesson.

Did you get any pic's ?
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really that political and I don't really care, kind of thought it was funny in a very dark way, but with my quoted commit I was kind of hoping that my suggestion might motivate somebody to record all the hate going on down there. I don't like any of the students c ra p that they pull, but I really can't do much about it, and honestly it has never been shoved into my face, so I kind of see it all as if I am looking through a glass window, watching something that is totally removed from reality, and in truth, the funny thing it is.
Dugstool

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down there this last weekend. There wasn't much Anti american stuff on Saturday, but there sure was on Sunday. Including a huge burning american flag on stage with school children dancing in front of it. For the most part, people were very friendly and excited to see foreigners at the event. We got interviewed and our photos taken quite a bit. Especially when my friend got on the bus and the mock soldiers came and beat him. Also, water balloons being tossed at us standing behind an american flag with a skull and cross bones on it prompted about 10 minutes of pictures. I took about 3 rolls of pictures. I didn't use my digital camera though. DOH!! When I get back to teh states next week, I can scan my pics and share them though.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely people aren't they? Just mindless robots who follow whatever the nuts in charge say to do...don't let the facts get in the way...just like Americans blindly following W , see were not too different. Hope Rummy does convince W to pull the troops, then we'll see how anti US they are then.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the way many Gi's behave I'm not entirely surprised that Koreans dislike them. But anyway, I happened to walk around the prostitute red light district at cheongnangni (Not shopping, just curious to see how a place like this exists in Korea) . Me and my two american pals resemble soldiers because of our haircuts and bodybuilder phsiques. We didn't attract much hollering from the girls..one of my mates said that the working girls hate the GI's because they got such a tough time from them. I can believe it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: