Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay in Korea, or flee to Japan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Stay in Korea, or flee to Japan? Reply with quote

I am losing hope in Korea.
I have been here for 8months and now my boss is giving me the shaft.
I can stay in Korea, but now that I have teaching experience should I be considering Japan?

Please list reasons to stay.
Or reason why Japan might be better.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your boss giving you the shaft? You can shaft him/her back if you know how.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been in Korea for 8 months and you need us to tell you reasons to stay, maybe you just don't want to be here. If you're not happy in Korea, why not try somewhere else?

I've never been to Japan, but I keep hearing that it's much harder to save money without constantly watching what you spend. I like the low cost of living, free housing, and low taxes that let me save half my paycheck every month while eating out and going out on the town whenever I feel like it. From what I hear, you just can't live as freely and still sock money away in Japan like you can in Korea. The outrageous cost of living is the number one reason I chose Korea over Japan to begin with. Now that I'm here, I like it.

I'm with Manner, how are you getting the shaft? If you give more details, maybe we can help.

Do you think your boss will screw you out of severance? If not, that's another reason to at least stick out your contract.

As for staying here past your one year contract, I guess you should ask yourself this: Are you "losing hope" in Korea because you don't like Korea, or do you think your unpleasant work situation is what's making you unhappy?
matko

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never been to Japan, but....

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The outrageous cost of living....

Rolling Eyes
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
Quote:
I've never been to Japan, but....

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The outrageous cost of living....

Rolling Eyes

It's common knowledge that Japan is the most expensive country in the world to live in. You'd have to be living under a rock for the last 15 years to not know that.

That, and the Japanese forum occasionally has people saying "damn it! I'm not able to save any money in Japan!"
matko

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to my bank account.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
Tell that to my bank account.

That's lovely.

Details would certainly be nice. Where do you live, what is your cost of living, what does your rent cost, how much do you pay in taxes, how many hours a week do you work, how many extra projects do you have outside of work, etc.

Then we can start comparing apples.

If you are saving $1000 a month living the life of a playboy in a super apartment while working 3 hours a day, then we would be impressed. If you live in a jail cell living off instant noodles while working 9 hours a day with a 2 hours of commuting time to save $1000 a month, then we won't be impressed.
matko

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, Captain er I mean Gord,

I get over 3 months off a year.

I'm at school 7 hours or less, teaching an average of 4/45 minute classes a day. I usually leave after 6 hours (elementary school, no splits).

I teach 2 private lessons a week both on Tuesdays at my apartment 45 minutes a piece.

I have a 2 bedroom apartment (1 year old) that I share with my Japanese gf. If I quit my job, my boss can lick me because it is mine. He doesn't own it and he doesn't own my visa. I can teach privates without fear of deportation.

Between me and the gf we save over 3,000 Can a month. We don't travel much but we go out together twice a week and I go out with the boys about once a week.

Japan is not a great place to save money if you are here for only one year. The start up costs are kind of expensive. However, if you are proffesional and want to teach for an extensive period of time, Japan is well worth the investment and, in the long run, better for your sanity.

Just my opinion though...and my bank accounts.

BTW, I live in Nagoya, the fourth largest city in Japan.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried Japan, and had a great time.

But, I am finding it easier to save money here than in Japan.
willgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I getting the shaft.

It is a long story. But basically the business is going down the tubes.
And I am being forced out. The Boss yelled at me enough,so I quit.
I am lucky to be out.

He is letting me out of the contract early.

Dont get me wrong I like the money and the drinking.

But are all working situations hell. Everyday someone is quiting our school, the boss yells, and everyone is on nerve.

Are all schools this bad? Will I get out of this school and be in the same situation?

I am disillutioned with Korean working environments.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naahh, not all situations in korea are as bad as that. it depends on the staff. first, the boss. his example sets the mood. and he does all the talking up with the parents. if the boss doesn't have a good attitude and proper wherewithal then chances are 'you're at sea'. when things go wrong he will yell down the ladder at the underlings. but it's all related. whether there's competing hagwons (a whole slew of them down the road), etc. etc. Be polite and break off well, then try again at another school. Eight months is a long time. some good money made up.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no, listen to matko. everyone should go to japan and never look back
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stay in Korea, or flee to Japan? Reply with quote

willgreen wrote:
my boss is giving me the shaft

How rude Shocked
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makto, I am glad that Japan is working out for you but I lived there for three years and I never even got close to the standard of living I get in Korea. Right now I work 27 hours a week, have a free apartment, get four and a half months off a year and make W2.7m a month. My commuting time is about five minutes a day. I never leave before 0900 and never get home past 1800h. I could make much more but I want the free time with my family.

What is more, you are only in your first year in Japan. In year two, all kinds of little taxes pop up and if you are on the national health scheme, it will be 11% of your previous year's pay.

No matter what anyone might say, Japan is horribly expensive. Last night I had BBQ pork for four people, beer, coke and rice and the bill came to W25,000. Try that in Japan. The bus costs W800 anywhere, taxis are W1500 for 2km. In Japan, triple that.

>We don't travel much but we go out together twice a week and I go out with the boys about once a week.

That is because going anywhere in Japan costs an arm and a leg. So does going out.

>Between me and the gf we save over 3,000 Can a month

If I had two incomes here I would be saving a whole lot more than that.

Japan is not the land of milk and honey. After a year with Interac, you might find their ethics leave a little to be desired.

Glad you are getting long holidays, Makto. Is Interac paying you during them?

And why are you on the Korean board if the land of milk and honey is so great?
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Teacher wrote:
And why are you on the Korean board if the land of milk and honey is so great?

Cos he's worked in Korea before and has friends here you silly ****.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: