Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay in Korea, or flee to Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazel03

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bf is Korean but moved to Australia when he was small.

after graduating from an Aussie university, he stationed in Japan for his first job. he has also got work experience in other countries including Korea. from his experiences, Japan is far more expensive than Korea. when he worked in Japan, he worked for a big name company that provided him with pleasant accommodation in a posh area and some other competitive benefits package. otherwise, he would not find it "okay" (money-wise) to live in Japan.

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting itchy feet to go to Japan, but the Korean girlfriend has kept me anchored here.

Not to mention I'm too old for a working holiday visa. I forgot that Japan is the place where Logan's Run began. Wink
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in both places. To me, Japan is a far more pleasant place to live. But as far as saving money goes, Korea wins hands down. People in Matko's situation tend to be the exception(and power to him, BTW). You CAN save money in Japan but for most it requires a constant watch on finances. I'm in Korea now and this month I put away $1600 CDN and never gave a budget a first thought, let alone a second one.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaffy wrote:
Canadian Teacher wrote:
And why are you on the Korean board if the land of milk and honey is so great?

Cos he's worked in Korea before and has friends here you silly c*nt.

Attention moderator, is there any reason for name calling and swearing on this board?
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm at school 7 hours or less, teaching an average of 4/45 minute classes a day. I usually leave after 6 hours (elementary school, no splits).

I teach 2 private lessons a week both on Tuesdays at my apartment 45 minutes a piece.

I have a 2 bedroom apartment (1 year old) that I share with my Japanese gf. If I quit my job, my boss can lick me because it is mine. He doesn't own it and he doesn't own my visa. I can teach privates without fear of deportation.

Between me and the gf we save over 3,000 Can a month. We don't travel much but we go out together twice a week and I go out with the boys about once a week.

So, you're off with the orange/apple comparison. First, apples to apples.

Your standard contract in Japan for first timers is 250,000 Yen with a 50,000 Yen rent charge per month. Yes, there are places that pay slightly more, or charge slightly less rent, but we're just using a introductory average.

Korea, 2 million Won plus free apartment. Take home pay is the same at this point.

End of contract deals. Korea, 2 million Won. Japan.... 50,000 Yen at most places. A quarter the amount. Airfare, Korea is paid roundtrip standard. Japan: You get a trip home, cost to Japan is the teacher's cost.

So far, a teacher will make less money in Japan that Korea, and that's before we even factor in the cost of living. Korea, very cheap. Japan... THE MOST EXPENSIVE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. Your cost of living in Japan is something on the order of three times the cost of living in Korea at a minimum. Assuming the same lifestyle, a teacher working in Korea will make more money than working in Japan.

Now, oranges to oranges. Let's compare our jobs.

You cite that by sharing an apartment and limiting your outgoing activities (and perhaps cooking most of your own food), you are able to save money. How much money? You don't say. Between you and the girlfriend you combined save $3000CA a month. For all we know your contribution could be $250.

Now if I adopted your lifestyle and limited my outgoing activities and took in a roommate to share the rent with, I would save $4000 a month BY MYSELF in Korea. But I don't do either of those money saving options. So I only save about $2500 a month in Korea, again by myself. Plus I live in a brand new building (three months old), large apartment with a raised ceiling for lots of extra space, and I have three rooftop parks (one on the roof, one outside my window, and another on the far side of the building). I live in the middle of a commercial core so I can get everything I want within a block, including super nightclubs.

If I were to toss in the GF's income, together we would save upwards of $6000 a month with our current lifestyle. If we bunkered down, moved in together and limited out outgoing activities, we would be looking at $8000 a month in savings.

FYI, my apartment is also "my apartment", in my name and everything. Anyone can do that you realize. It's not like it's hard or impossible. Hell, most school would prefer if a teacher did do that, and they just gave them a housing allowance. One major chain (YBM?) even requires a teacher to get their own apartment within 3 months of arriving in Korea.

Wow. Your bank account savings certainly rock and is much more than anyone could possibly make in Korea. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Japan is not a great place to save money if you are here for only one year. The start up costs are kind of expensive. However, if you are proffesional and want to teach for an extensive period of time, Japan is well worth the investment and, in the long run, better for your sanity.

Just my opinion though...and my bank accounts.

Congratulations. You make less money than me while enjoying a lower standard of living. Woo.

Make no mistake, I would like to go to Japan one day just for the experience but I would be looking at a serious drop in my standard of living to pull it off at first. Your proclamtion only reinforces this perception.

Back to the original subject. Most people will make more money working Korea than in Japan. Japan was much more promising when the Yen was trading for 45 Yen per CA$., it's far less impressive now that it's trading for 86 Yen per Canadian dollar.

Had you been working in Japan in 1994, your base wage would have been $5500 a month, compared to $2900 CA$ these days. Stop living in the past when saying how much money you can make in Japan.
orpheusdown

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

down

Last edited by orpheusdown on Wed May 28, 2003 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
matko

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord,

When did I post that it is easier to save money in Japan than in Korea? This thread has become a savings topic when I in fact gave the Rolling Eyes to a guy who said that he'd never been to Japan and then said it was outrageously expensive. It is not outrageously expensive. It is very possible to save alot of money. So, Gordo, take your post to someone who thinks it is easier to save in Japan. I never said it and I also don't believe it. But , I do know many teachers in my position or better.
BTW, I contribute half

Canadian teacher, Yes, I get paid for vacations. August and December are 75% pay but the end of year bonus covers nearly all the difference.
Also this is my third year in Japan.

Just to clarify, IT IS EASIER TO SAVE MONEY IN KOREA. However, it is not that difficult to save in Japan either, especially after you've been here a while and do a few privates.

orpheus down,

I preferred it when you called me a fudge packer.

PS. even after the edit, I still prefered it when you called me a fudge packer.

Last edited by matko on Thu May 22, 2003 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
orpheusdown

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

down

Last edited by orpheusdown on Wed May 28, 2003 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful....

Last edited by Butterfly on Wed May 21, 2003 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
chi-chi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
a guy who said that he'd never been to Japan and then said it was outrageously expensive. It is not outrageously expensive. It is very possible to save alot of money.

The times I was in Japan I found the real expenses came with traveling around and arcades... not really with much else. Food was decently priced and clothing was reasonable. I never had to pay rent and utilities, so i cant comment on that, but Japan doesnt seem to be a place where it's impossible to save money.

Also, I see no reason for Gord and Matko to have a pissing match over who saved more money.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all boils down to where you really want to live and how good your job is. In my case, I would be totally insane to leave the job I have in Korea. The chances of scoring a university gig like I have here in Japan would be almost zero.

I also enjoyed living in Japan. I made a lot of good friends. However anyone thinking of going and looking for a job there should be warned that getting jobs in Japan is not as easy as in Korea and that start up costs are very high.

I also do not think working at Nova or Geos is any better than the average hagwan in Korea.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willgreen, I think you are in a brilliant position right now.

You are in Korea, almost a year's experience under your belt, you can now use your network of contacts to find a decent job, interview in person, really check things out before you commit - school, syllabus, other teachers, apartment etc. You're probably a lot more aware now of what pitfalls to look out for.

Not all hakowns are bad. Not all Directors are bad. If you hate Korea and have hated your time here until now, then go and check out Japan. But if you like Korea, I reckon you should give it another go. Just my 2c Smile
sickboy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matko makes money and is comfortable. Perhaps he is happy living in Japan and is comfortable with what he has. Maybe money isn't the driving issue in his life unlike other here.

That said. This is for the original poster.

My first experience in Korea was allright, but I got frustrated with the job and decided to resign. That worked out well, the school tried to one up me (I won in the end) and I beat my retreat to Viet Nam for two months well deserved holidays. I came back, enjoyed myself for a month staying with a friend before, when it looked pretty bleak (and Im certified) I lucked upon my job. Now I get three months off a year, a wage in USD, teaching 4 hours a day and a lot of other perks and things. So one can certaily find a job here, and if you like it, it may be worth giving it another chance.

That all said, I do have a (for the most part) *ideal* job, but nevertheless, I will pack it in for Japan in two years, because Japan is a hell of a lot more rewarding place for me to live.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a genius idea: write a list of pros and cons for each country. Whichever one wins, choose that country. You've got some capital now, so you wouldn't have any problem getting started in Japan.

Also think about what is making you unhappy in Korea. If all you dislike is your job situation, then hey, just get another job in Korea. If there is more to it, then you should probably head off to Japan.

And of course there is always Taiwan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: