Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday night news show on Illegal ESL teachers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Sunday night news show on Illegal ESL teachers Reply with quote

This sunday, one of the Korean news programs are doing a show on illegal teachers here in Korea. It's on MBC at 9:45 pm. Should be worth checking out, even if you don't understand everything being said.
just because

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it will change anything?????

Anyhow....I'll be watching.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Korea title is something along the lines of "Bad Foreign Teachers Caught On Tape"

I agree that they need to crack down on illegal teachers, but at the same time, a program like this makes EVERYONE look bad.

That's just what we need.

You can thank the Korea media for their biased reporting.
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:
I'm sure the Korea title is something along the lines of "Bad Foreign Teachers Caught On Tape"

I agree that they need to crack down on illegal teachers, but at the same time, a program like this makes EVERYONE look bad.

Let's watch it first before we decide they're all bad...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:

I taught parttime in a kiddie hogwan once that broadcast live the teaching into the teachers lounge.. Shocked

I wonder how many countless other teachers have been filmed and kept.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiiigooo! if this is aother "Typical Korean media" who wants yet another slice of "those bad foreign people" coverage" they need to get a life and film something worthwile. It might provoke those stupid college students and bitter ajeoshis in another laughable protest outside City Hall to deport those "illegal bad, bad teahcers" Rolling Eyes
My God, hopefully it's not another bad documentary after with that-one-website talk.
I say if they do that...then it would be funny to "videotape" Koreans in their unfashionable behavior (ajeoshi's going to the red rooms, so forth)...wouldn't that be fun to send that to Western media...of course they would probably try to sue us or hold another mindless riot because we are making their hermit, xenophobe kingdom look bad.
This is truly ridiculous...it seems like they are trying to pick up ANY bad thing about foreigners...next documentary will be about those "bad" foreigners who don't like gimbap, or don't hold a glass with two hands when being offered a drink.
Blind Willie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be the devil's advocate or anything, but those MBC documentaries are also filled with Korean people being bad to each other as well.

Last time I watched one, it was about grown men who abuse their parents... usually to the point where you have an 80 year old woman in the hospital with broken bones and very ugly bruises on the side of her head.

Sensationalism sells commercials.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just in case anyone in Korea missed all the internet stuff, this filled them in.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't as bad as i expected.

it did make some good points about illegal teachers and how they need to get the system cleaned up.

Couldn't help themselves showing these pictures of Hongdae though.

The poor ol Canadains got an absolute roasting, and made out to be some shocking teachers.
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just watched it. Surely put us in a bad light. Did you notice how all the recruiters identities were not revealed, but there was no reason given why the newscast protected their identity? I believe recruiting is illegal here. Nice of them not to mention that in the newscast.

Feel bad for the foreign guy who showed his face. He was as nervous as hell, and didn't really say anything shocking.

Oh well, I guess it's going to be a crappy year here.
McNasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkoreaforgood,
Quote:
Feel bad for the foreign guy who showed his face. He was as nervous as hell, and didn't really say anything shocking.

How about the guy whose name appeared on the immigration application form. Pretty sure that was illegal(to show his name and DOB) and that job site(on the the program) is sure to be getting plenty of hits for a while.

As for the phony degrees, the employers should share the blame with the people pulling the scam(guilty by association).
The recruiters play a major role in bringing in illegal teachers and should pay a price for it as well.

Also, according to their recruiter source the demand calls for 30,000 teachers a year, which they claim is an impossible number to acquire legally(qualified teachers). So, they HAVE to bring in illegals to reach the quota. What a bunch of crap!

Did anyone notice that according to the news source recruiters get a mil for male foreigners and 1.2-1.5 for females. Ouch! Crying or Very sad
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
The poor ol Canadians got an absolute roasting, and made out to be some shocking teachers.

inkoreaforgood wrote:
Well, just watched it. Surely put us in a bad light. ...
Feel bad for the foreign guy who showed his face. ...
Oh well, I guess it's going to be a crappy year here.

Caught bits of it myself. Well, I hope you ESLers and Canadians won't take this too hard. You've joined the illustrious ranks of U.S. GIs, American skaters & gymnasts, China, Japan, and ex-pat bankers as the newest boogeymen on the block.

I think the only "foreigners" who'd stand a chance of being cast in a favourable light by the local media these days are Iraqi insurgents and North Korean border guards. Rolling Eyes
bosintang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this program helps expose the underbelly of the ESL-industry and helps clean it up, that's a good thing. If it makes young ESL-teachers look like a lame scapegoat, well, all I will say is that this country gets the education they ask for, and if fastfood education is what they ask for, then fastfood education is what they will receive.

Anyways..I didn't see this program so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting here, but I guess I feel like being a loudmouth today.
ChooChooPongPong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'cellphone" said in a deleted thread on the General Topic Forum:

Watched on channel 11 MBC the 16 minute news scoop tonight that aired at 9:46 pm. It started with footage and undercover 'investigations' on Hongdae, in the middle they were talking about some 'illegal, child molesting, law breaking' esl teachers, they interviewed some 'do-good' foreign teachers, one who announced 'it is my moral obligation to report any law breaking foreigner' or words to that effect, and the end of the report was rapped up by more footage outside nightclubs.

Look in all honesty. I have to say. After watching it, I am truely sick to my stomach. I don't just mean taken aback perhaps intellectually, but this disturbs me. Perhaps I am still rather new, only here about a year and don't know a heck of alot of stuff about Korea the way (a) you guys here a long time and (b) you guys or girls who speak Korean fluently.

I mean wow, even our sex lives aren't private here? Should I really be bothered by this? Is this at all a big deal? Please chime in why or why not, not just 'yes' or 'no.'

What do you make of this news report? Look I am not calling on people looking for an 'opportunity' just to knock about, nor equally so the guys who just try to speak only good about Korea, I'm asking the guys who speak Korean fluently and those here a longer time that have a well rounded view. Speak out on behalf of us newer guys that don't know what to make of this. I am truely sick, and shocked. I've heard about the tank driving incident a few years back, but how does this latest one play out?

I don't know really, maybe it's just me, but I regard sexuality to be an ultra-private matter except for those gifted people who openly show theirs, which I'm fine for them. But to me, it's almost unbelievable that a country would view it's visitors based on their sexuality. I'd like to hear well rounded, experienced, inciteful commentary to help us newer guys see this for what it's worth, while leaving out just puns or over-pro statements.

Again as one of my first times to really see something quite like this here, I am a bit confused.

A side question. On the flip side, I wonder if anyone thinks this will actually make things better in any way? Perhaps like in the West in which negative news reports often allow the society to accept it better and adapt to it, could something similar happen in this one? Could I at all make something positive about this news case?
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...what one could Derrek be talking about. (no, don't say it, I know just being a smart***).

I didn't see the MBC show, but I don't think I would have wanted to. It's clean that there are a group of Koreans that are out to make foreign teacher's lives hell, untill they get rid of us. Yes, I know it would never happen, but it's still wrong.

Maybe a well staged sit in would help....anyone have a take on it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: