Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodations in South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corey Walker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Accommodations in South Korea Reply with quote

Hello again:

I was rather disturbed when I noticed that under the contracts assigned by some Korean Schools, a person is responsible for maintenance, part of the utilities and that apartments are usually shared with up to two other people. I am a Christian and a member of the Salvation Army, so sharing an apartment with a female could get me in big trouble. Do all schools offer shared accommodations, where you pay maintenance and utilities or are there good schools that offer you rent like you get in Canada, where I pay my phone and extras, and change light bulbs etc., but repairs are done by the landlord and utilities are part of your rent (which is supposed to be free). Any information people could provide in answer to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey Walker
Prince George, B.C.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many schools will offer single accomodation if you ask for it.

The usual arrangement is for the school to pay for the rent while you pick up all the extra costs. In many places this will include an administrative/maintenance/security fee of 70 000 -120 000 won a month. Utilities are pretty cheap. If you are in a single apartment the fees will be lower.....more like the 70 000won.

Many schools will be happy to give you a monthly housing allowance if you prefer to go that route. There are real estate places that can offer service in English or you can get a Korean to help you. The reason that his is not a very popular route to take is becuase of the "Key Money" that is required as a deposit. It usually amounts to several thousand dollars depending on the quality of the place. You get the Key Money back when you move out but most people don't have that kind of cash laying around.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask for a studio, a lot of people live in them.
You may want to make your beliefs known when you apply, so they won't promise you a studio and give you shared.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many jobs out there advertisting single accommodation. There aren't many of us here whoactually want to share, given all the horror room mate stories we've heard or experienced. I don't think you'll have a problem with this. Your accommodation may be pretty small, but comfortable enough for one person. One thing I've learned since being in Korea is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Stipulate single accommodation as a requirement on any letters you send out.
Cheers, WB.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small studio provided by my university. I pay for the utilities (hot water, heat, electric and gas, the maintenance, and I have premiun cable.) My utilities never exceed 50,000 for everything. My expenses in Korea are minimal, and I am saving $1,000 U.S. per month. I'll use about 1/4 of my savings for travel. At the end of a year I should have 7-8 thousand in the bank (not counting pension and severance) and will have had at least two good trips. I will be spending a month in Australia in July.

Get a studio and watch the savings pile up. Don't worry about utilities. Honestly, I think that they charge us for all of the utilities and maintenance to make up conserve. It works.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought, I'm wondering if the OP means "having to pay for a new hot water service if it blows up" kind of maintenance, rather than the maintenance/apartment fee we're familiar with. Might just be a mix-up of terms. The apartment fee is to cover things like taking care of the rubbish, external lights, , gardens, security services etc (bit like body corporate fees). I don't know of anyone who has ever had to pay for something (like plumbing) when it goes wrong...
desultude

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are responsible for paying for repairs in our apartments. The apartments are new, so the infrastructure (pipes, electricity, etc.) is new, but we are ultimately responsible. That being said, the charges for things are quite reasonable, and I don't think that we would be paying Stateside prices for repairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: