Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go after Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did spend the majority of 2004 in Spain.

Lots of Brits down there.. I met one working in a pizza restaurant.. so either he just got lucky.. or Brits can do more than just teaching English.. I am not sure which.

Then again I also saw quite a few Colombians and Romanians as well.. who were working or running small businesses here and there. Chinese too. So difficult to say whats up with that.

Anyhow, Spanish is essential for Spain. I met few people who spoke English where I was living anyways (in Castellon, Spain - just north of Valencia). Not only that, but they speak a very rapid Spanish (unlike Mexican and South America which I'm more familiar with).

Spain is a good country for living. Tons of Holidays.. the cities are quite convenient.. people often drink their beers in the streets (so you don't really need to buy your beer in the bars, yet can still take part in the bar scene). Everything just spills into the streets everywhere - and tons of alleys with businesses set in them like bars and restaurants and such.

Life is really easy there.. things are more focused on the outside.. like outdoor restaurants, festivals, beaches, etc. Good climate, good people, good place.
adventureman

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay for teachers in Prague is very low. You can live on it, but if you want to travel (and Prague is well-situated for travel), you need to bring extra cash. I DO know of several teachers who've worked there for quite some time. They do privates (which pay VERY well and are NOT illegal), and make enough to travel.

Your question (if I remember correctly) had to do with where to do your CELTA. Do it in Prage. You sound pretty interesed in the place and this would be a great chance to check it out!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, Prague is absolutely over-run with non-Czech all looking for business opportunities, a new life, a TESOL career, and on and on and on and on.

If you have EU citizenship.. I'd definetely choose elsewhere.. Spain would be good.

I remember about 10 years ago.. watching some news show in the US which mentioned something like thousands and thousands of young Americans made Prague home.. and I'm sure its the same for most western nationalities. Its been a huge hot spot.. definetely over-saturated.. and it probably would take a few years of living there to invest the time and groundwork to get something good there. (I think I'm more of the immediate gratification type for that).

There are so many good cities in Europe.. although Prague is an extremely popular one.. seems like Spain would be a lot better though.. you'd have EU citizenship, Spanish is much easier to learn, the coastal cities have great beaches, its a fun culture, and on and on.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from Prague if they are really interested.. but there are countless other options throughout Europe too. Spain is a really good one.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree about Prague...but outside of the citycan be good if you're there for the Czech experience and not the money-making/ex-pat life.

BUT if you ARE planning on doing the CELTA ANYWHERE, I would plan to see the sites either before or after the course. You won't have much time while it's in progress!
stumptown

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who taught in Prague after doing the CELTA program. Yes, it's true that you won't have much money, but that's based on the standard of living. In Korea, the average annual income is 2 million won per month, so what we (most of us) make here is standard. I would assume that in Prague it's the same situation, you make the average salary that the middle class makes. Personally, after the student loans are paid and my credit is restored, I'll work another year here for extra money then hopefully make the transition to Thailand or Vietnam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: