Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: OCD Reply with quote

This is an offshoot of my post on 'The Aviator'. Watching that film, which portrays the life of Howard Hughes, who had severe OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), I began thinking about the miniscule things I obsess over to varying degrees. I'm interested to read what strange obsessive quirks other posters have. Here are some of mine:

1) I can't sleep unless the bed covers are turned the right way. For a long time, until about 3 or 4 years ago, I was unable to sleep unless I wrapped the covers around my head.

2) I can't stand having any dust or dirt on my feet. And I can't stand wearing socks while I'm at home. This causes me to clean the floor and vacuum like a madman; and I get annoyed because my feet still get dirty.

3) I hate eating around others. If I do, it messes up my digestion. My wife, understandably, hates this, because I will only eat meals with her and the little girl on weekends.

4) Another sleeping quirk: I can't fall asleep if there's a light on in the hallway/room outside the room I'm sleeping in, even though it doesn't make the room I'm in any brighter. This makes sleeping in hotels very difficult.

5) I will never, under any circumstances, use a urinal.

6) If I watch a sporting event, the team I'm rooting for will invariably lose if I don't either put my feet up on the sofa, or, if I'm not at home, take my heels out of my shoes.

BTW, I've always wondered this:

What do hardcore germaphobes do when they take a dump? They have to wipe, right?

Sparkles*_*
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know I have none.
jajdude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: OCD Reply with quote

Tiberious aka Sparkles wrote:

4) I can't fall asleep if there's a light on in the hallway/room outside the room I'm sleeping in, even though it doesn't make the room I'm in any brighter. This makes sleeping in hotels very difficult.

5) I will never, under any circumstances, use a urinal.

6) If I watch a sporting event, the team I'm rooting for will invariably lose if I don't either put my feet up on the sofa, or, if I'm not at home, take my heels out of my shoes.

Sparkles*_*

Glad to know I'm not alone in being a little strange. I knew that anyway.

If number ^6^ is true, you could make a fortune gambling.

What's wrong with urinals. You don't need to touch anything.... except the main thing...
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get in a certain mood, not exactly depressed, but something like it, I have a compulsion to buy books. In a good bookstore I start at one end of the shelves and tour every shelf, top to bottom, making a stack of books to buy. At some point in the shopping the mood disappears. Unfortunately, I buy all the books in the stack. That wouldn't be bad, but I have another episode before I've finished the first stack. So it can take years before I've gotten around to all the books from one shopping spree. Booksellers love me.

BTW, isn't #6 a delusion of reference rather than a compulsion?
plokiju

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised I don't have as many quirks as I thought I would have.

I chew my nails to the point that I have none. I could try to scratch something all day and it's no better than using just my fingertip. Actually, if I were to be viciously attacked they'd never be able to find any DNA under my fingernails.

I can't fall asleep until everyone else is in bed. I'm not sure if that's because I need it to be quiet or that I'm paranoid of what someone might do to me in my sleep.

I can't look anyone in the eye when I take a bite of something or drink something, or when swallowing. Chewing though, I'm fine with.

The only other thing I can think of is when I clean something it needs to be absolutely spotless. I'm not a neat freak or anything though. Dust could pile up for weeks but if I'm going to clean it I need to find every speck. That's probably my only really unhealthy one because it leads me to hardly clean.

I used to have a strange habit of dancing to printer or photocopier noises. Actually, I might still do that but just not notice anymore. It is kind of rhythmic you know.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to physically touch my wallet and keys to believe I put them in my bag. This is repeated several times over a day. Drives some friends crazy.

If I am stressed I have some OCD problems they nicely medicated out of existence nowdays.

1. used to do everything in groups of five. checking locks, stove, shoes everything...made getting out of the house a night mare.

2. all money in my wallet had to face the same direction and divided into numerical denominations. Cashiers hated me as I would stand there and rearrange when the change arrived.

3. socks had to be changed 5 times a day.

4. Clean freak....would wince when someone would sink and not wipe down with windex to remove fingerprints. Would hope for their hasty retreat so I could clean said fingerprints.

thank god for shrinks! pretty much OCD free now! wooo hooo fingerprint up my sinks all you want sucker...I could care less....

Crap where is my wallet.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have my chin covered to sleep. With a blanket or sheet or, if napping on a park bench or something, my arm.

When very tired, like in the morning or at night, I have to look at a photo album, or like ALL the albums from when I was in China, or every teaching review I have ever received, or the scrapbook of my brother's incarceration...when I should be sleeping or going to work.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaderedux wrote:
I have to physically touch my wallet and keys to believe I put them in my bag. This is repeated several times over a day. Drives some friends crazy.

I do the same thing, only with my zipper, to make sure it's up.

Quote:
2. all money in my wallet had to face the same direction and divided into numerical denominations. Cashiers hated me as I would stand there and rearrange when the change arrived.

I do this, too. At least I don't iron the wrinkles out of the bills.

Sparkles*_*
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: quirks Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't call it OCD, but I have a few quirks.

Razz I'm not a fan of kissing with lipgloss on. Lipstick, yes. Lipgloss no! It's jsut ends up getting sticky everywhere.

Razz If I have a fight with a boyfriend, I will invariably find myself having an irresistable desire to go shopping.

Razz Here's a Korea-specific one: If I'm having a frustrating day with the Koreans I work with and Korea in general, I will not eat kimchi at lunch. I can usually handle a few bites of the stuff before not wanting anymore. But if I'm having a bad Korea day, I hate the taste/sight of it.

Razz I cannot eat a meal without having something to drink with it.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is OCD or some other pathology, but spending a long period of time in a bookstore or library, regardless of the time of day, causes me to have a large bowel movement. And I love books, so I don't think it's boring the s--- out of me!
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: the bathroom Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! This happens to me, too! Ever since I was a kid, the minute I'd enter the library, I'd have to RUN for the bathroom. I thought I was the only one. Very Happy
sparkx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oigirl wrote:
I don't know if this is OCD or some other pathology, but spending a long period of time in a bookstore or library, regardless of the time of day, causes me to have a large bowel movement. And I love books, so I don't think it's boring the s--- out of me

Maybe this explains why Chiaa craps like a barnacle goose with amoebic dysentery.
winnie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some weird quirks...

My main one now is hand washing. I wash my hands before I go to the washroom and after....it's the first thing I do when I arrive anywhere new...someone's house, my house, a restaurant. I cannot eat anything without washing my hands first.

I keep hand sanitizer at work, and use it after every class. But I cannot wait to get home, and wash with real soap.

I try not to touch anything after washing my hands....this is mainly when I am going to go eat though. I always open the washroom door with TP or paper towel too...living here has helped me to deal with this somewhat...sometimes I have to do without....it's HARD!!!

I also put toilet paper on the seat(love the toilets that have the plastic on them, and you push the button for a clean piece to sit on!!!)....or I hover above if its a squatter, or I am crunched for time. Sometimes I just look at the squatter, and if it's gross, I just hold it. I even put paper on the seat in my own apt.... Shocked

I used to set the alarm clock at home as a child, and the minutes always had to correspond with my grandmother's age at the time. So when she was 55, I had to get up at 6:55, or 7:55.....I was very close to my grandma and didn't see her often. Now that I think back, it was a very freako thing to do.

I also count things....mainly students these days, and stairs. When I get to class, I often count them several times in my head.

Wow, I am a weirdo!
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winnie wrote:
I used to set the alarm clock at home as a child, and the minutes always had to correspond with my grandmother's age at the time. So when she was 55, I had to get up at 6:55, or 7:55...

Ten years later, did you have to set the alarm for 7:65?

Laughing

Sparkles*_*
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to organise in order of tongue-lengths the human heads i keep in the freezer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: