Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleven Months-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Eleven Months- Reply with quote

I

Last edited by Keepongoing on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details, please. Name of school! Where are you located?

All we can say is fight it out. Go to the Labour Board. You will find lots of advice in previuos posts on ESL cafe also.

But get over the feeling of rejection. The odds are it is NOT you it is THEM. They are likely the bastards here.

Besides your school can not fire you without just cause. And the usually need a months notice.

Any people who can help MASH?

Skippy
bap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because you've been here for over six months i think you have some rights.
this includes 30 days notice or 30 days pay if they want to fire you. and i think i've seen another post similar to this where the person managed to get their severance pay as well.
you should take it to the labour board.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Typical Hakwon BS Reply with quote

The others gave you good advice.Take it to the labor board.I hope you get your bonus out of the b------s!

Do not take all that "bad teacher" crap personally.If you were a "bad teacher",why did they take eleven months to get rid of you?It is obvious the sleazy,sorry little place is just trying to beat you out of your bonus.Hell,they are not even half-way subtle about it! Reasons not to work for hakwons..................ad infinitum.
Good luck.I hope you get your money.Please post their name so nobody else goes to work for them.I hope they go out of business.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with the people at EFL-Law. They'll give you some good, solid advice. [email protected]
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strike the midnight hour!
this is a notorious thing,happens all too offen! good way to save money for the school. you see the nature of these people! dont trust your boss people!! they may come across all nice and stuff, deep down they will sell their own mothers!!!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta fight!
For your right!

For Bo~~~~~~~~~~~nus!

Anyway, fight it out. And please, give names if they don't come through.

AND..let them KNOW you will give names if they break your contract.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Is this a weird response or what: Reply with quote

After having come to that great day for the "bonus" only to see a tear form in the owner's eye (Yes- I have seen it) and then the "bad news" I'm sick of even expecting it. I finally decided- some of you migh thate me for this- to request not getting a bonus. I don't know what kind of response I'll get. However, I'm sick of the stress it causes every one to guess- about the 9 month mark- how things will go. I like my life under control more than dreaming of something that might or might not happen.

Also- depending on the power one has at immigration- you may find yourself getting the bonus and banned from Korea for two years under trumped up charges. Anyway- perhaps I'm cynical- I just want to tell them all off the bat- just forget it. I give me an extra month of work- the month I would have been fired or accused of some atrocity and save so many head-aches. My good buddy and I in Seoul eventually concluded that this was the best route to take. Just aim for 100,000 won a month more than waht you wanted and there you go- your bonus.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it so difficult to not post the name and address of the school?
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Labor board is good for a sympathetic ear. Not much more. Provided you have a Korean friend who will take off work to help you. Again and again, and again.
I suggest watching "Taxi Driver" again and again. I would suggest taking things in your own hands.
Yours sincerley.
Travis
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I just see Mysteriousdeltarays?
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
strike the midnight hour!
this is a notorious thing,happens all too offen! good way to save money for the school. you see the nature of these people! dont trust your boss people!! they may come across all nice and stuff, deep down they will sell their own mothers!!!

Man, Itaewon, why you got it so bad for K bosses and recruiters??

If you're gonna troll, why don't you backup what you are saying instead of just cheap shots at the aforementioned.

Sad Sad Sad
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Can They Easily Ban You From Korea??? Reply with quote

This worries me because I am appying for University positions and if they get nasty and do the "ban" thing that of course will really mess me up? VERY WORRIED!!!!!!
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: We had something like this here not long ago. Reply with quote

We had something like this not long ago. So- I perfectly understand your worries. You're in the mud up to your knees and the only way now to stay clean of an "offence" is to get a lawyer for 100,000 won to communicate on your behalf as a figure-head (evidence) that you won't be leaving the school on illegal terms. The way to do that is to have the lawyer write up a letter requesting the opportunity for you to pay all bills that are yours:

eg. water/power/phone/oil.... That way- you have the perfect witness that your intent wasn't to break any laws and it scares the crap out of the owner to the degree that they can't use anything to get you black-listed because they'll have nothing legally binding on you. It's likely not a good idea to do it yourself because it's so easy to have some bill come a couple weeks after you go and to use it as evidence against you.

Perhaps you're right- cut some losses if you want back in- however this is the chink in your armor- if you leave even one penny of outstanding bills- that could go to immigration. Also, disconnect your internet service yourself, cell phone service, and close your bank account after you get all your cash (I've heard that it's not legal to leave it open if you are out of country. Sounds funny- but that's what I read somewhere.)

It has to be done before you're finished. Yes- they will be offended- but- hey, this is YOUR future we're talking about. It doesn't hurt them one bit getting that letter. Do it before your clock ticks down to zero.
jamesH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT WHAT WAS THE END RESULT? Please finish the thread you started - a million people are probably wondering !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: