Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why So Many Great Thinkers Have Been Vegetarians...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Why So Many Great Thinkers Have Been Vegetarians... Reply with quote

I personally think that it's practically a prerequisite for greatness in fields where creativity and "high thinking" is essential.

Out of a couple lists of "famous vegetarians" I picked out the most prominent names that I was familiar with - or at least have heard of

I'll more-or-less list great philosophers and scientists (and spiritual leaders) first, followed by literary giants, business whizzes, and famous entertainers, artists and musicians (obviously, I've included names of prominent entertainers and celebrities who would not be considered "great thinkers" in any academic sense ...)

Jesus, Buddha, John the Baptist, Confucious, "Rteacher", Gandhi, Plato, Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Edison, Carl Lewis, Benjamin Franklin, Issac Newton, Immanuel Kant, Voltaire, Albert Schweitzer, Socrates, Diogenes, Heroditus, Hesiod, George Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy, Franz Kafka, William Shakespeare (with some lapses...) H.G. Wells, Pythagoras, Nikola Tesla, William Blake, William Wordsworth, Alan Watts, Jean Jacques Rousseau, Mary and Percy Shelly, Mark Twain, Charlotte Bronte, Hans Christian Anderson, Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Will and Ariel Durant, John Robbins, Peter Ha, Harriot Beecher Stowe, Jeremy Rifkin, Alice Walker, Stephen Clark, Berke Breathed, Allen Ginsberg, Susan B. Anthony, Chelsea Clinton, Dennis Kucinich, Caeser Chavez, Clara Barton (founder of Red Cross) Bill Ford (CEO), Steve Jobs, Michael Eisner, Robert Kennedy Jr., Dr. Benjamin Spock, "Red dog" (on a short leash...) Jane Goodall, Henry Heimlich (famous maneuverer) Adam Smith, Charles Darwin, Hitler, Russell Crowe, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John and Julian Lennon, Ringo Star, Christian Bale, John Cleese, Willem Dafoe, Cameron Diaz, David Duchovny, Michael J. Fox, Ed Asner, Dustin Hoffman, Richard Gere, Sir John Gielgud, Anthony Hopkins, Woody Harrelson, Toby Maguire, Sir Ian Mckellen, Ashley Judd, Hayley Mills, Demi Moore, Pamela Anderson, Paul Newman, Brad Pitt, Kim Basinger, Dennis Weaver, Kate Winslet, Reese Witherspoon, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Barker, Milton Berle, Kevin Eubanks, Fred (Mr.)Rogers, Lisa Kudrow, Issac Bashevis Singer, Lisa Bonet, "Lisa Simpson", Danny DaVito, William Shatner, Peter Max, Joan Baez, John Cage, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Carlos Santana, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Grace Slick, Tina Turner, "The Smiths" Ray and Dav Davies (Kinks), Mick Jaggar, Alanis Morisette, Linus Pauling, Steve Perry (Journey), Eric Johnson, "Meatloaf", Whitney Houston, Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders), "Boston", Jeff Beck, Bryan Adams, Fiona Apple, "B-52's", Michael Bolton, Anne Lennox, Boy George, Bono, Kate Bush, Kurt Cobain, Peter Gabriel, India Arie, Joan Jet, Nelly, Pink, K.D. Laing, Bif Naked, "Rage Against the Machine", Joey Ramone, Stevie Nicks, Natalie Merchant, Nick Rhode (Duran Duran), Albert Schweitzer, Justin Timberlake, Shania Twain, Eddie Vedder, Vanessa Williams, Bob Weir, Ron Welty, Dwight Yoakum, a Weird Al Yancovic, "Bramble" (borderline) "hater depot", "kermo", "oni" , Chris Martin (Coldplay), Carrie Underwood (American Idol), Prince - and Alicia Silverstone...

( I'm not even getting into classical musicians, visual artists and sports celebrities who are/were vegetarians...)

Last edited by Rteacher on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:07 pm; edited 11 times in total
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why are so many not vegetarians?

And, not looking past the first name, Jesus ate fish, so scratch him off the list.

Sit on your floor and chant some mantra or something.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, Beaver. Vegetarian Supermen are our superiors. Sad
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was a vegetarian........ I could be a great thinker like Chelsea Clinton or Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran........ Rolling Eyes

......Oh yeah! I forgot! Meat tastes great!!!!
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beaver" person - I'm no Bible expert, but I don't think it definitely states that Jesus ate fish - and the word commonly translated as such in the "fish and loaves" episode can also be translated "cakes with honey"

Mr. Guru - I think that you, in your eloquent albeit sarcastic way have neglected to mention vegetarian "Superwomen" who rule alongside their male counterparts...
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see with that list you go back 2000 years and list several prominent vegetarians. In rebuttal I'd like to offer a list of prominent meat eaters:

Everyone else.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
"Beaver" person - I'm no Bible expert, but I don't think it definitely states that Jesus ate fish - and the word commonly translated as such in the "fish and loaves" episode can also be translated "cakes with honey"

I doubt they'd broil cakes and honey:
Luke 24: 41~43 wrote:

41And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" 42They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43and he took it and ate it in their presence.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infamous Vegetarians:

Adolf Hitler

Joseph Stalin

Pol Pot

Fidel Castro

peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher,
speaking for the relatively level headed vegetarians out there: We don't want or need this kind of press. I'm tired of having to prove that I'm not a hippy dippy freak just because I don't want to eat something.

Besides, having even a vague similarity to William Shatner, or Michael Jackson is not something I'd care to broadcast. Razz
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
Rteacher,
speaking for the relatively level headed vegetarians out there: We don't want or need this kind of press. I'm tired of having to prove that I'm not a hippy dippy freak just because I don't want to eat something.

Besides, having even a vague similarity to William Shatner, or Michael Jackson is not something I'd care to broadcast. Razz

I have to be honest, the level-headed vegetarians I know are okay folk (although I hate going anywhere with them because it's always a bitch to find somewhere to eat), but what peppermint said: the freaky ones annoy me.
red dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheCat wrote:
Infamous Vegetarians:

Adolf Hitler

Joseph Stalin

Pol Pot

Fidel Castro

It's a myth that Hitler was veg -- I don't know about the others, but I'd like to see some proof.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beaver," what kind of "broiling" do you think was done 2000 years ago? Bread and cakes were cooked by the hot sun ... I doubt that "broiling" is even an accurate translation... In modern popular English versions of the Bible fourteen different words are loosely translated as "meat" when usually the meaning is "food" or "food-grains"...

"Demonicat" I don't think you could come up with a comparable list in terms of greatness (leaving out the entertainers) even if you searched through the anals (er annals) of history...

"Peppermint": I guess you'll just have to live down the shame of having vegetarians of my ilk posting on the net (kind of like that weird ol' uncle living in the attic no one likes to talk about ...)
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, your list may be outdated in light of recent reassessments.

Rteacher, I meant 'Supermen' as in Ubermensch, not Uberherren.

Anyway, I can't tell the "Supermen" from the "Superwomen" -- all vegetarians look alike to me. Razz
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red dog wrote:

It's a myth that Hitler was veg -- I don't know about the others, but I'd like to see some proof.

Lot's of proof. Statements of his personal attendants, the meticulous records of his meals kept by the Nazi government,

But the best proof of all is what is left of his skull that the Russians keep locked up in a filing cabinet in Moscow. It has the tell tale yellow tinge of a life long vegetarian.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
"Beaver," what kind of "broiling" do you think was done 2000 years ago? Bread and cakes were cooked by the hot sun ... I doubt that "broiling" is even an accurate translation... In modern popular English versions of the Bible fourteen different words are loosely translated as "meat" when usually the meaning is "food" or "food-grains"...

Your talking out of your ass -- or one cheek of it, anyway. The word we're talking about is 'fish', not 'meat.'

And does
Luke 5:4~7 wrote:
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. 6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. 7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
sound like the work of a vegetarian? I guess some people would think that it's possible that it was manna hovering underwater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: