Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea or Taiwan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itchy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Itchy!
I do have a question, is there a big difference between to money to be made in Taiwan and the money to be made in Korea? Unfortunately I also have to consider this as I have a HUGE student loan to pay off. Thankyou for all the other info, I think it may be very helpful.

Bubbliee
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, just make the move and get out of Canada. You'll love some things about wherever you land, and hate some others. Just be of good cheer, make some friends, drink some beer, and everything'll be right.

And if it's not, you can always move on.

/my two bits
itchy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0-0-0-

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain kirk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got back from taiwan, and was there working once before that. so i've been there, working, twice altogether. i have been in korea longer.
as i think most working in korean hagwons would agree the koreans kids can be highly energetic in a threatening to be unruly if not already there kind of way. so it's important to keep aware of when it's looking like they figure they have an open road to anarchy, like, 'looks like teacher is slack today'. pop goes the loophole and class is a squirming, screaming situation fit to be tied, and hauled back into line. discipline methods being stand in the corner arms up. on the floor in push up position. and so on.
but taiwan is more subtle, with bosses who are not so outright as koreans, i found. the taiwanese hagwon bosses can be really 'slippery'. but in a 'never a voice raised' way with autocratic slippery sleeziness, all the time coming across as 'civilized'. head over to tealit.com, as well as the dave's taiwan form. the forums aren't so busy in taiwan. but you can 'hear' people talk about how difficult it can be sometimes, in slightly different ways than korea. also, there is competition for wages. particularly in the south there are low wages, reduced by teachers who will take less. i have nothing against south africans, but they do seem to be accepting less. and hagwons, called bushibans, aren't as fussy about the accent/nationality thing. another thing about taiwan is that you will arrange your own place to stay, and the key money arrangments are expensive and up front.
i prefer korea because i have an expressive, 'blunt', sometimes bullish manner. and this fits in with korea. but i found that in taiwan it's more of a tightrope and keeping in line on minding p's and q's. it's a lot easier to get fired there, IMHO. not that it happened to me a whole lot, but from what the forums tell. extreme cattiness with autocratic, oppressive, and slippery managment on a high horse. and really picky and demanding.
and, get this, it's not uncommon that parents come to watch class. i mean IN class, with you. or there are 'parent volunteers' who show up to 'help you out'. or other things that seem intrusive, such as preparing dramas for parents' day, and so on. doesn't happen in korea.
in some ways, i found, the esl thing is a lot more organized over there.that is with the chain/franchise schools that have worked up a curiculum that's good, HESS in particular. but there are some flakey hagwons to be sure.
in short it's necessary to be understated, polite, on your best behaviour, and highly respectful towards autocratic bosses who just might fire you at the drop of a hat. because foreigners prefer taiwan, and they are easier to hire. it's not as easy to get a job in taiwan. and the bosses know that. so there's a lid to their cooker you're signed up for. a lot of teachers have two jobs and hustle to pay the rent. a boss can hire another teacher as a temp if they find that teacher more attractive. compare this with korea; in korea there's a loyalty that may be based on a leash, but korean immigration demands it. you are tied with guaranteed monthly salary. not so in taiwan. it's more fickle, freelance. and there's that rent to pay.
re; stuff other than work, which is exploring, i prefer taiwan. it's subtropical, and the mountains are amazing. why? lots of weird vegetation and big old rainforest-type trees. there are aboriginals in the mountains, and they're funky. so i enjoyed motorcycling into the mountains as a nice contrast to the workweek.
if you are full of social graces, tact, subtlety, and have a good appearance (barbie and ken are VERY popular there) i would go to taiwan. it's got more 'colour'. if you can fit in by being smooth then I imagine it's a very smooth ride. if not then bumper-cars in korea slamm-dammin could be better for you. i like these jerks Wink (takes one to know one)
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Kirk

Thanks so much, your description of life in both places is going to be extremely helpful when I make my final decision. I too am a little on the blunt side, tell it how it is type of person. I also have a problem with people that can't be honest with me. I am definitely leaning towards Korea. Out of all the students I have taught here in Canada, I like the Korean ones the best. I really like their personalities and sense of humour.

Here is one more question for everybody. One of my favourite students will be going back to Korea on July 21st. He has offerd to act as a bit of an agent for me. Scout out some schools and let me know which ones I should apply to. Does this sound like a good idea? Do you think that it would be helpful or proabably just a waste of time? If you think it would be helpful, what sort of things should he look for?

Again, thank you in advance

Bubbliee
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Taiwan... I'm going to make a couple of HUGE freaking generalization based on personal experience and there is no scientific evidence to back this claim up, but....

I've never met a Taiwanese / Chinese adult who wasnt nuttier than a fruitcake. If you think the ex-pats here are unwilling to accept another culture's way of doing things, you've never seen a Chinese up to a full head of culture shock.

Koreans are just rude. But you can learn to ignore that.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
itchy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0-0-0-

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea... It will change you... for the better..
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Japan, JET, Student Loans Reply with quote

I think it was Anda who suggested Japanese aren't as friendly as Koreans. If so, he must have lived in different Japans and Koreas than the ones I've lived in. Bubbiliee: JET certainly IS a great programme, but you should consider 2 things: 1.The earliest you could become a member of it is July 2004 2. You say you have a huge debt. Japan is expensive,anyway you slice & dice it, and even on the JET gravy train, it can be a struggle to make payments. Very possible, but limiting in your lifestyle. The cost of living is WAY lower in Korea. My 2 cents worth. Never lived in Taiwan....
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now made my decision after extensive soul searching, talking with other teachers, and taking in all the info from boards like this. I will be coming to Korea. I plan on arriving in the last week of August. So now all I have to do is find a job...... *sigh*

I'd like to thank everybody for all the great advice I received from the people on this board.

Bubbliee
pagehamilton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: man, Taiwan was HELL Reply with quote

Noisy is the word. They're impervious to noise pollution.

There's always some sort of drilling going on somewhere. They tear the inside of the old buildings down in three seconds flat and then throw everything back up again as cheaply as possible before morning sunrise.

The food is just awful, far too oily, even if you choose something western like spagetti. And they drive beyond thunderdome. I saw some entertaining drunk at the wheel stuff in Seoul, but Taiwan really is just like Mad Max.

You'll see stray dogs and roaches in Taiwan. you won't in korea. You'll have to share an apartment in Taiwan and take the trash out to be recycled yourself by Mr Beethoven. You won't in korea.
Taiwan has a relaxed, slightly 'lawless' feel to it. (Double check that the school you work at is actually the one mentioned on your ARC. Often they aren't, but you'll never know that until you're deported for it). Its chintzy and tacky. Korea is more reliable, modern but super conservative. Taiwan was at times like dissapearing into a timewarp culturally. However, some people love the feeling of being in a less "westernised" environment, so it depends where you come from and what you're looking for. Personally, i felt like i had left the real world behind for a scary little non country where all anybody listened to was Michael Bolton (and that was in Taipei).

Korea has ridiculously spicy food. Be ready for that. If you're a girl, there's more protocol to follow. Everyone has to dress in order to reflect their status and respect for themselves and each other. Its a bit more uptight. But on the plus, its a real country and part of the real world.

Sorry if you live in Taiwan. no offence.
McLovin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in both TW and Korea...

TW beats Korea:
* friendliness
* warmer winters (although with constant drizzle)
* the high speed rail, which makes getting around the island very easy
* easier and cheaper to flights to SE Asia (where you really want to travel)

Korea beats TW:
* girls, girls, girls
* beer, beer, beer
* clubs, clubs, clubs
* most schools help with accomodation

Its a tie:
* dishonest cram school owners
* dishonest landlords
* abundant, affordable taxis and public transportation
* western tackiness mixing with local tackiness
* potential cataclysmic war that could destroy the entire society in a matter of minutes
* salary relative to living expense
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Japan, JET, Student Loans Reply with quote

Hi, Never been to Korea, have to china and Taiwan. I get the impression on this forum that people are really comparing places in one country with places in another country and dressing it up as Taiwan Vs Korea. I considered how laid back and friendly people were in Ghent, Belgium compared to the more blunt, aggressive people of Antwerp,Belgium. So comparing Antwerpians with Amsterdammers would not give a fair national comparision between two countries likie Belgium and Holland anymore than say Taiwan and Korea?

[quote="Mosley"]I think it was Anda who suggested Japanese aren't as
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: