Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should I go to Japan or S.Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raymie wrote:
um, I'm a girl. Not interested in 'trolling for other' girls as you so eloquently put it!!
But thank for the advice!

Well, there's always the black dudes they got selling hip-hop gear there...
Mr.NiceGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Teacher wrote:
matko wrote:
The standard Hagwon job in Korea offers 2 weeks vacation. The standard eikaiwa job in Japan offers 4 weeks.

Good point but in Japan, everybody in the bleeping country gets vacations at the same time. It becomes a travel nightmare. Overseas fares double.

I have worked in both countries at length. Y250,000 a month is chicken feen in Japan. After rent and tax and deductions you will see W170,000. That might sound like a fair amount but Japan is REALLY EXPENSIVE. Things like going to movies, taking taxis anre eating in restaurants must be very carefully considered in Japan.

While Japan might appear to be less xenophobic that Korea on the surface, in my experience it was even more insular. Also, the chances for advancement are waaaaaaayyy better in Korea than Japan.

Working for a Japanese company was not the best experience of my life by a longshot. I have done much better in Korea.

I agree with this Canadian teacher. Japan is insular. It's almost mind-controlling, it's so insular.

I lived there for a few months, worked a little, left. Didn't want them taking so much control over my self-autonomy. . . had to pay obeissance to the boss, treat the kids like kings, act like a fool. Main thing not being able to express yourself like here in Korea. . .everyone so damn self-conscious and QUIET!

Money ain't all that great Japan now in a slump. Missiles pointing at its back side. Women moral-less as mud.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.NiceGuy wrote:
Women moral-less as mud.

Bless their dear hearts...
UncleAlex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Japan vs Korea Reply with quote

Indeed, the average salary in Japan is about 2.5 million in Korean won, whereas
the average salary in Korea is 2.0 million. But in Japan the foreign teacher
is responsible for paying both the rent and utilities, unlike in Korea where the teacher
just covers the latter. Further, rent is higher in Japan by a good 200,000 Korean
won at least; so coupled with the utilities and property tax to boot, a hefty chunk
of the monthly salary simply disappears. In Korea the teacher pays no more than.
3% income tax each month and often pays nothing at all. In Japan it must be at
least 10%, if not more. On the peninsula I can easily save at least 1K US a month
and still enjoy a lot of spending power. In Japan I had to stay home most of the
time and tighten my belt in order to save that much. The environment and standard
of living is much better in Japan, but my social life there was dreary because
I couldn't afford to go out on a regualr basis. I ended up a 'homebody' in Japan.
For financial and economic reasons and to better my social life, I returned to Korea.
If the value and power of money is your chief concern, then come to Korea.
But if you are more concerned about the standard of living, the environment,
and the civility and honesty of the natives, then go to Japan. Your immediate
work experience should be better there. Cool
westonw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: life in Korea Reply with quote

wow, some of these posts are real old. personally, i can't comment on the difference between Korea & Japan, but for those of you interested on info about life in Korea you can refer to my extremely generic website below. good luck!
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Japan vs Korea Reply with quote

UncleAlex wrote:
Indeed, the average salary in Japan is about 2.5 million in Korean won, whereas
the average salary in Korea is 2.0 million. But in Japan the foreign teacher
is responsible for paying both the rent and utilities, unlike in Korea where the teacher
just covers the latter. Further, rent is higher in Japan by a good 200,000 Korean
won at least; so coupled with the utilities and property tax to boot, a hefty chunk
of the monthly salary simply disappears. In Korea the teacher pays no more than.
3% income tax each month and often pays nothing at all. In Japan it must be at
least 10%, if not more. On the peninsula I can easily save at least 1K US a month
and still enjoy a lot of spending power. In Japan I had to stay home most of the
time and tighten my belt in order to save that much. The environment and standard
of living is much better in Japan, but my social life there was dreary because
I couldn't afford to go out on a regualr basis. I ended up a 'homebody' in Japan.
For financial and economic reasons and to better my social life, I returned to Korea.
If the value and power of money is your chief concern, then come to Korea.
But if you are more concerned about the standard of living, the environment,
and the civility and honesty of the natives, then go to Japan. Your immediate
work experience should be better there. Cool

These exchange rates are really old. Korea is Now much more profitable then Japan for ESL teachers.
Today exchange rate is 2,100,000 won = 2,260.00 us.
240,000yen = 2010.00us.
kenners

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started a thread, but maybe in here would be more suitable.

Quick question re JET and then wanting to move to the city post-JET.

do many people do it? would the experience through JET be enough to land you a job in the city or would employers look for CELTA? If that's the case do you reckon doing saving for a CELTA is plausible on the JET wage or not?

JET, for me, certainly seems like the best way into Japan (that saying I get onto the program!). Learning Japanese will be one of the first things I'll (try) to do but within the enxt few years I know I'll want to be living in the city, or something.

I'm sat humming and harring the options of the dubious Korea vs Japan debate and whether to postpone Japan for another year and go work in Korea to save and get experience. The other side of me thinks to just sack it off and just go straight to Japan! Oh, decisions.
Iamronin11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN. Dont even think twice about it.
Street Magic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamronin11 wrote:
JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN. Dont even think twice about it.

Aren't teaching jobs pretty hard to come by in Japan right now? I mean, they're kind of hard to find everywhere lately, but last I checked the general consensus was that Japan has had a surplus of foreign teaching candidates for a while now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: