Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out 50 mil. or a passport
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Out 50 mil. or a passport Reply with quote

Can you believe this MFin' crap - Today I went to immigration to renew my F-4 (kyopo/halfie visa) and get told that since my mom is now living in Korea, I'm no longer eligible for it. The fcat that she's a Korean citizen apparently doesn't matter. WTF??? Evil or Very Mad

In other words, there is no visa category for a half Korean individual whose mother is Korean, as I am not on her hojok (family register) due to my overseas birth (and since dad is white, no hojok).

I now have to turn in paperwork to become a Korean national and renounce my US citizenship, OR...become a foreign investor with the appropriate visa. Minimum investment 50 mil. (in other words, to set up an entity that is at least marginally feasible, it's more like 70.) I could also get a regular business visa from my employers but that would put me in such a restricted position (I'm kind of a Jack-of-all-trades) that it would not be of value.

God, I'm so pisssed as I'm writing this..... on one hand a passport is just a passport and it'd be quick and easy. On the other hand, I now have serious reservations about becoming a citizen of a country that allows for such archaic monkey laws. Sad

Guess I just made my decision. 50 mil. is a small price to pay to be able to proudly say, "No, assnuts, I'm NOT a citizen of this monkeyfarked country."

Jaded rant? Hell yeah. Sue me. Goddamnit. Evil or Very Mad

Seriously, this has been one of the saddest days in years (I freakin' love it here and to be 'turned away' like a 3rd rate refugee was enlightening) so bear with me. Just writing this rant helped..... Crying or Very sad
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's cut and dried but you might want to consider asking an immigration lawyer to be sure. It'll cost a bit for the consultation but far less than 50 million. A lousy deal in any event.

Or you can get lucky with your investment. At least it's an investment and not a tax. Smile
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bro.

Before I bother my ridiculously expensive Kim & Chang pals, any lead on a good immi lawyer? There's a beer in it for you. Wink
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know any myself but the guy who runs the EFL Law site is a lawyer and might have some ideas. If not he might at least be able to recommend someone. Might be worth checking out or dropping him an e-mail.

http://www.efl-law.com/
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx again...I'll write a few mails in the morning. Can't think straight now, need beer, let off steam...a drink on me anyway for the effort. Hold me to it if you ever run into me. Wink
Trinny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST,

I know of a Korean-Canadian lawyer with Ontario designation who might be able to help with your case. I will pm you, when I find her contact information.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Is there no way to get duel citizenship. It sounds from your post that you can't, but are you sure about that. I know some countries allow it while others don't.
Sorry to hear about the crappy news.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea here.

Go to immigration again, maybe another office, and try to renew your F-4. Don't tell them your mom is in Korea. Work some of the charisma stuff on 'em. Hell bribe 'em if you can ( a night out at a room salon ???)

Keep trying until someone gives in Wink
makushi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you invest the 50 million and then immediately sell of the investment once your visa is approved?

They used to have accounting companies that, for a fee, would loan you the capital requirements for a few days. Then you could simply take your bank book, get a statement of capital, get your biz license, and finally your visa. Then the money goes back to the accounting firm. Used to cost about US$ 2,000.

You might want to check it out.
helly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, if you are under 35, your Korean citizenship will earn you a trip the military. Something else to consider when giving up your US passport.

Dude, have your employers get an E7 visa for you. Doesn't matter if you're a "jack of all trades." If all those trades happen to be done within the same company, you'll have no worries. If you have multiple employers, try having your primary employer sponsor the visa and then work out an agreement that allows to work externally.

First time I've heard about an F4 coming back to bite someone in the A*SS. Not saying I'm happy about it or laughing in your misery but maybe it'll be fair warning to others to keep themselves prepared (not that you weren't. Sounds like you were simply a victim of "policy? what policies?)
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys.

Richinkorea - the fact that she's a resident here is stated on her hojok (and is also something that can easily be cross referenced with any Gu-chong or Tongsamuso), so unfortunately that's a no-no.

Makushi - Actually, money is not the issue. Time is, as well as the flexibility to operate independently. Did some research this morning. I can actually incorporate a consultancy, which will enable me to function as a completely seperate entity from my (multiple) employers, ie. they'll now have to outsource their needs to me via my ABC Inc.

Helly - As for the military issue, I briefly served in another country's military (long story), which exempts me from mandatory service here. Boohoo.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get an E2.. or if you are planning on staying here for a very very long time became a korean citizen but keep your green card...
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Hear ya, and then!... Reply with quote

SeoulTrader,

Dude, I hear ya, been fuming all day as well! Get this...

My wife, Korean national, is emigrating to the US. Not for good, just for 3 years (education and certification), but will come back to Korea. We've put in our IV paperwork with the US Embassy and have had to change her passport to indicate that she's emigrating. By doing so, her National ID Card has been revoked and taken!

She is now considered an alien! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

We are staying in Korea for atleast 6 more months, possibly a year, and she's seemingly no rights as a Korean! She can't have insurance, edit - she can, but must pay exceedingly higher rates. Also, she must register with immigration! WTBloodyF?!

Next is my visa status. I've a F2, but since she has no 'Nat'l ID' my F2 will be null and void. I've to do the same as you, or get back on an E2 or the like...kiss me arse, I say.

Ah, viva la xenophobia. Wife is saying piss on this country....bruhaha.

Shoosh,

Ryst
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hear ya, and then!... Reply with quote

Ryst Helmut wrote:
SeoulTrader,

Dude, I hear ya, been fuming all day as well! Get this...

My wife, Korean national, is emigrating to the US. Not for good, just for 3 years (education and certification), but will come back to Korea. We've put in our IV paperwork with the US Embassy and have had to change her passport to indicate that she's emigrating. By doing so, her National ID Card has been revoked and taken!

She is now considered an alien! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

We are staying in Korea for atleast 6 more months, possibly a year, and she's seemingly no rights as a Korean! She can't have insurance, edit - she can, but must pay exceedingly higher rates. Also, she must register with immigration! WTBloodyF?!

Next is my visa status. I've a F2, but since she has no 'Nat'l ID' my F2 will be null and void. I've to do the same as you, or get back on an E2 or the like...kiss me arse, I say.

Ah, viva la xenophobia. Wife is saying piss on this country....bruhaha.

Shoosh,

Ryst

Unfugginbelievable.

So she still has her Korean citizenship, but due to her intent to emigrate has lost many of the standard rights of a citizen? What the hell is this? Goddamn "Starship Troopers"???

You know what really tweaks my trunk? That 280,000 3rd world migrant workers who have been living here ILLEGALLY for years will now be given 3-year stays (we all know it's not the Korean people's feigned interest in human rights but rather the fear of DDD slave availability) while folks like us have to tread through the bureaucracy jungle.

How much time did they give you? I received a "generous" 30 days to change my status (either turn in paperwork for naturalization or different visa).

Bloody apes.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: