Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visa question-teaching in 2 locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howie2424

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: visa question-teaching in 2 locations Reply with quote

I was wondering if any experts on Korean Immigration law can help out with this one. My director approached me the other day and said the local elementary school had lost it's native speaking teacher and was having trouble finding a new one since it's out in the boonies. They have asked if my hagwon would farm me out to them to teach their kindi class in the morning. I would be paid seperatlely for this work and am mildly interested.

My immediate response was to point out that my E-2 does not permit this but they just kinda laughed and said sure, but you'll never get caught. Of course they balked when I said, OK if you'll agree to pay the fine if I do get caught.

My question is this. Is there a way to do this legally? Can my existing E-2 be amended to permit teaching legally in 2 locations or can the elementary school arrange for a seperate visa? Is there a way to do it and remain in compliance with those wonderfully fair and impartial Korean immigration laws? Any help would be much appreciated.
DHC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching in two locations Reply with quote

You can legally teach at the other school provided your employer gives you a written letter of consent and you go to immigration and fill out the correct forms and pay the required fee. Immigration will stamp your passport and you are then legally able to work at the second school.

Your employer probably doesen't want to pay the fee.
howie2424

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx, I'll check into it. I don't think the fee is the problem, they just don't know about the rules. Hell even the guys at Ujuengo Immigration don't know them. I'm constantly having to explain it to them and I'm not even a freakin citizen of this place!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the rules myself, but at one point I was teaching at three different institutes. I think I had a different situation, though...I had been subcontracted out by my school to the other institutes, and didn't receive any extra pay. I just got my hours at the hakwon cut back(definite plus)...

...maybe your situation is different.
howie2424

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Zyzyfer that's exactly my situation except they can't cut my hours back (I'm the only foriegn teacher) so they gotta make a seperate deal to pay me or I'll just say no. It will be a subcontract arrangement though, just like yours, what did they do to make working in 3 locations kosher with the immigration people?
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I had been subcontracted out by my school to the other institutes

Sketchy!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sketchy it may have been, but the experience in hindsight was useful, netted me my current job with one of those subcontracters, and it was done by ECC, though it was a franchise. Generally, they did everything legitimately.

howie: Nothing was done, as far as I was made aware. But, like Icons said, I guess it's sketchy or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: