Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining Korean Citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tob55

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements made by the government are designed to provide what they believe to be a seamless way to achieve ciitizenship. That doesn't mean that everything about the rules are fair or equal to all involved parties, but no country on earth does everything fair or equal in most circumstances anyway.

F4 visa holders having to go through the regular process is just Korea's way of saying "you gave up your citizenship before and we want to make sure you really want to have it again." That is my opinion as someone that was never on that visa, but it does make sense in some ways.
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by this General Naturalization after 5 years option. Back in 2005 at the end of my first (successful) contract I read that these were the requirements for the F-5 (Permanent Residency). So, I buckled up and hit the books and saved my dough (won).

I checked it again a year later and the regulations were more difficult. The criteria became progressively more difficult every year thereafter. Last year, for someone my age, 38, to get an F-5 I had to hold 2 Doctorates and a few other nigh impossible requirements for a guy who came here on a Bachelor's at 30 and has been slogging away in the EFL trenches. I've been living in a perpetual haze of seething resentment towards the Korean government ever since.

Because, if I had opted for virtually any other country and worked and saved there for 8 years, I would be able to have something much better than the indentured servitude of the E-2.

So, please forgive me if I seem a little perplexed by this news. Did I miss something? I know SK is getting ready for a huge chunk of its population to retire and there aren't enough younger generations to fit the bill. Is this their solution, to let the waygooks in?

Or, in greater likelihood, is this just a means of keeping up appearances with the UN while in practice only those who have married into the culture can do this?

I hope I don't sound too cynical. I mean, it would be absolutely amazing if it were true. I would start to study Korean again and finally progress beyond the TOPIK level 1 that has served my purposes on the margins of Korean society. I could finally start to put all of my experience, wit and wisdom into recruiting a solid stable of eager and motivated private students... without fear of the Immigration gestapo.

Question
tob55

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz47, you have the right to be concerned. The Korean govt. does seem to change the rules at a whim on some things, but I do believe they are trying ot standardize their policies so that they are fair for everyone who genuinely has an interest in becoming a part of the country and culture. It is a shame when I hear of experiences like yours with the knowledge that my way to obtaining citizenship was made easier because of my marriage. However, this should not preclude others from having the same opportunities if they desire to have them. Hopefully the system is going to be fair to all as much as possible.
tob55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bit of discussion over the potentialy new language requirement for foreign spouses, so I thought I would post the requirements for all of those seeking naturalization. They are listed in the same order as is posted on the HiKorea website. All information is simply the "basic" requirements:

General Naturalization: more than 5 years of residence
    Must have had domicile address in R.O.K. for more than 5 consecutive years
    Must be legally adult according to Korean Civil Law
    Must have good conduct
    Must have the ability to maintain living on his/her own assets or skills; or is a dependent member of a family capable of the feat.
    Applicants must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture

Simplified Naqturalization: over 3 years residence
    Must be legally adult according to the Korean Civil Law
    Must have good conduct
    Must have the ability to maintain their living based on their own assets / skills, or be a dependent member of a family that�s capable of supporting itself.
    Must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture

Simplified Naturalization (marriage)
    Must be legally adult according to the Korean Civil Law
    Must have good conduct
    Must have the ability to maintain living on his/her own assets or skills; or is a dependent member of a family capable of the feat.
    Must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture

These are the three categories most likely to apply to any foreign residents currently considering naturalization. It is important to note that ALL types require basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture

The information in the above while specifically for naturalization should also be considered a general requirement for any individual who is currently on any F-visa, i.e. marriage visa F-6, single long-stay F-2, or the permanent residency F-5. The current talk is that while the latter is not yet required, it will be in the coming year, so anyone who is wanting to being the process towards naturalization should begin preparing so that this language requirement is not a shock or surprise.
chopstick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: From F5 to Citizenship Reply with quote

Does obtaining an F5 visa prior to citizenship help with application for citizenship or is it just as easy to go from F2/F6 to citizen?

How soon after receiving F5 can one apply for citizenship?

What level of Korean do you need and is it true that married applicants generally fail if they don't have children?
tob55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: From F5 to Citizenship Reply with quote

chopstick wrote:
Does obtaining an F5 visa prior to citizenship help with application for citizenship or is it just as easy to go from F2/F6 to citizen?

How soon after receiving F5 can one apply for citizenship?

What level of Korean do you need and is it true that married applicants generally fail if they don't have children?

Good questions,

The F5 visa may or may not make it easier for you. Some immigration offices are telling people it IS a requirement for applying for naturalization, but the government websites do not indicate this. The time requirement is more important in the eyes of the Korean goveernment. The reason for this is that the powers that be want to see that your are established in the country from the perspective of being a long-term resident.

Moving from the marriage visa to the F5 requires two calendar years, and the minimum basic requirement for applying for citizenship is three years and five years depending on the type of application you are making. So, if someone has been on a different visa for several consecutive years prior to applying for their F5, they may well have met the general requirement for applying without having to be on the F5 for any additional time. This unfortunately will be something left to the discretion of the individual immigration office taking the application. In my case the Chuncheon immigration office really wanted me to complete the KIIP program before applying, although it is not a requirement for applying.

The conversational level for the interview is more in line with everyday conversational Korean rather than academic Korean or Korean language for special settings. I would not consider myself to be fully fluent in Korean, but when going through the interview I simply used the level of Korean I am comfortable with and it was sufficient. I have never formally tested, but I am guessing somewhere around TOPIC 3 - 4 if I had to make a guess.

The final question concerning children refers to the fact that when the official interviewing you sees that you have children, it registers to them that the person applying for naturalization is actually committed to family and has made the decision to commit to Korea. Now this doesn't mean that people pass or fail based on having children, BUT it does make it easier. The waiting process for completing naturalization with children is usually around one year, the waiting time for people without children can be up to two years in some cases.

It is more important that you have your spouse involved in the whole process if you are married, otherwise the interview situation can become quite lengthy and require a lot of extra work. This doesn't help single individuals applying, but for married couples this is what I know.

Hope these answers help a bit. Cool
javis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Until recently even mixed kids weren't conscripted. I still don't think they are, they're only given the option of volunteering. A full blown non-ethnic korean likely wouldn't be conscripted any time soon.

Then how did that formerly Australian guy Sam Hammington end up serving in the ROK Army? Granted he is fluent in Korean, but he is actually serving; not just for the tv show "진짜 사나이".
tob55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javis wrote:
alongway wrote:
Until recently even mixed kids weren't conscripted. I still don't think they are, they're only given the option of volunteering. A full blown non-ethnic korean likely wouldn't be conscripted any time soon.

Then how did that formerly Australian guy Sam Hammington end up serving in the ROK Army? Granted he is fluent in Korean, but he is actually serving; not just for the tv show "진짜 사나이".

Conscription into the military is a very real possibility for men in the age bracket. Something young men should be aware of if they intend on seeking Korean naturalization. So, it is wise to never say "never" when it comes to issues like these.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javis wrote:
alongway wrote:

Where does it actually say he's really serving?
He seems to be involved in several TV shows these days, and I can't see any evidence that he's doing anything beyond the TV show.

Quote:
Conscription into the military is a very real possibility for men in the age bracket. Something young men should be aware of if they intend on seeking Korean naturalization. So, it is wise to never say "never" when it comes to issues like these.

they only recently, apparently, started conscripting mixed blood people. Is there any evidence that they've ever or even considered conscripting a full non-ethnic korean citizenship for regular military duty?
tob55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
javis wrote:
alongway wrote:

Where does it actually say he's really serving?
He seems to be involved in several TV shows these days, and I can't see any evidence that he's doing anything beyond the TV show.

Quote:

they only recently, apparently, started conscripting mixed blood people. Is there any evidence that they've ever or even considered conscripting a full non-ethnic korean citizenship for regular military duty?

I actually asked that question when going through my citizenship process. I am actually too old to be conscripted, but according to the immigration offical I worked with, no male within the age range for military service is exempt, except in cases for health reasons or other types of exemptions like the ones we normally see for celebrities in Korea and other countries. That's what I was told by the people who were helping me, so I suppose they either know or don't know what they are talking about. No one pointed me to a print copy of the law or anything, so I can't say for sure.
eumyang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:
F4 visa holders having to go through the regular process is just Korea's way of saying "you gave up your citizenship before and we want to make sure you really want to have it again." That is my opinion as someone that was never on that visa, but it does make sense in some ways.

Some F4 visa holders never had Korean citizenship in the first place, like me. I got my F4 as a son of Koreans who renounced their citizenships. They emigrated to the US before I was born and renounced their citizenships when I was a kid.

To further muddy the waters, my mother told me while I was researching the requirements for F4 that she and my father were going to become dual citizens (Korea & US). I don't know how far into the process they were at when I submitted my application for F4 at the Korean Embassy in DC. I don't know if what my parents were doing was even an issue when I submitted my application.

Now my parents are dual citizens, and it seems like the rules were different for them. Because they still live in the US about 8 months out of a year. (They would take two trips to Korea a year and stay two months each time.) How long they have been doing this, I'm not sure, but maybe at least for 5 years?

Dual-citizenship sounds intriguing to me, because I've thought of living in Korea indefinitely (currently I go to Korea once a year for the summer to study Korean at Sogang), but I haven't decided yet.
ampersandman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to do this?
tob55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampersandman wrote:
Why would you want to do this?

Unless someone really has a commitment to stay and make a life for their self in Korea there is no reason to go through the process. For me it was a reasonable decision since my daughter was born here and is a dual Korean-American citizen, my wife is a Korean citizen, and now I am a dual American-Korean citizen. The F4 process as I mentioned is more in line with the that of foreign residents, so it can be lengthy. However, I am guessing it is not as involved for F4 residents once the process begins. This is assuming that the F4 applicant has no problems with communication (I say that because some of my F4 friends actually cannot speak Korean), and they have no other issues that might prevent them from obtaining their citizenship.
tob55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some asking around and was able to secure the accurate information from someone who is quite knowledgeable on the subject. As far as consrciption is concerned, dual citizens will not be conscripted. This does not mean they cannot enlist on their own, but as far as the Korean government is concerned, they are not required to. Also, to clarify another post about who is eligible to apply for dual citizenship. Only four categories of people are considered eligible for dual citizenship:

1. Foreigners married to Korean nationals
2. Foreigners with Korean heritage
3. Foreigners making a major contribution to Korea (MOJ decision)
4. Foreigners with special talents and abilities (MOJ decision)

These were the guidelines listed and cited to me. Hope this clears up any confusion on some of the questions people had. Sorry for any miscommunication on my part.
chopstick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:
javis wrote:
alongway wrote:

What is 'the age bracket'?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: