Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how dumb is he?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

George W. Bush - how dumb is he?
Dumb like a rhino. You know, like something that just breathes a lot and wrecks stuff. Really, rhino dumb is like when you're too dumb to survive without the help of people who like rhinos.
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
$#!+ dumb. Like when you're dumb as $#!+.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Carson Daly dumb. Dumb as dirt, but through a bit of undeserved good fortune you come into a position of influence, except you're too dumb to seize the opportunity and maybe prove that you're not as dumb as people think, because you really are that dumb.
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
He's not dumb. You are. But not as dumb as me.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this post was about DW when I saw the title Embarassed
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:

At last Bush appears to be less of a snob than DW... Wink

Bush is dumb and an incredibly easy target for centre political types and great material for satirists. I think the smart rightwing folks love defending him because it is such a challenge. If you're a smart person you love challenges and defending an idiotic, lying, deranged moron must be a challenge. Lawyers must love their jobs, especially the ones who defend right wing liars.

Being a rightwinger doesn't make you dumb, but it certainly helps.
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:

At last Bush appears to be less of a snob than DW... Wink

Bush is dumb and an incredibly easy target for centre political types and great material for satirists. I think the smart rightwing folks love defending him because it is such a challenge. If you're a smart person you love challenges and defending an idiotic, lying, deranged moron must be a challenge. Lawyers must love their jobs, especially the ones who defend right wing liars.

Being a rightwinger doesn't make you dumb, but it certainly helps.
sundubuman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush is president of the most powerful nation on earth.

His GENIUS is that he convinced 16,000,000 Texans that he wasn't too smart and uppity.

Now, ironically, the Euros (and Canada et al) have bought his own self-deprecating marketing campaign.

George Junior would love this thread.

He's so dumb. Really really dumb. Borderline retarded he is!! I swears its da truff. He be the dumbest pezzdent are nation eber did see. weerey... he be ceptionally tupid.
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

He's proven that high school jock-lunchroom etiquette can pass for international diplomacy:

"Saddam has WMD. I'm 'unna kick his ass.

OK, I kicked his ass. Now just wait...

Oh he doesn't? That's OK. I was just defending the UN."
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundubuman wrote:
His GENIUS is that he convinced 16,000,000 Texans that he wasn't too smart and uppity.

Now, ironically, the Euros (and Canada et al) have bought his own self-deprecating marketing campaign.

You must be one of the people who chose option number four.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo wrote:

Quote:
OTOH you think that they think of themselves as being unethical?

No, I don't. But a person can still do unethical things without realizing that they are unethical.

I realize I might have opened a whole philospjical can of worms here.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that no one could possibly be that stupid.

It almost seems as if he(Bush) is deliberately trying to disgrace the office of the president, so as to have people lose faith in the democratic system.

Globally, we see investors losing faith in the American currency and turning towards the Euro............ is this an accident or another hidden agenda of the Bush administration?

Bush seems intent on bankrupting America so as to usher in a new era of European domination. What's going to happen to America when it has to start paying back all those debts?
Alias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nowhere Man wrote:
He's proven that high school jock-lunchroom etiquette can pass for international diplomacy:

"Saddam has WMD. I'm 'unna kick his ass.

OK, I kicked his ass. Now just wait...

Oh he doesn't? That's OK. I was just defending the UN."

Or his infamous challenge to Iraqi insurgents. "BRING IT ON"
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
I'm starting to think that no one could possibly be that stupid.

It almost seems as if he(Bush) is deliberately trying to disgrace the office of the president, so as to have people lose faith in the democratic system.

Globally, we see investors losing faith in the American currency and turning towards the Euro............ is this an accident or another hidden agenda of the Bush administration?

Bush seems intent on bankrupting America so as to usher in a new era of European domination. What's going to happen to America when it has to start paying back all those debts?

you should ask the Europeans how they are going to pay back their debts. What they have to pay in entitlements is far more than what the US is going to have to pay.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not a hidden agenda at all. The US is deliberately trying to weaken the dollar. It makes good short-term sense. Borrow your friend's Nikes and then return a pair of Mikes (my attempt at a humorous name for a Korean rip-off brand of cheap shoes).

You have forgotten a basic law of finances. Borrow $5,000 from the bank and the bank OWNS you. They can do almost anything they want to get their money back, including selling your house out from under you. Borrow $500,000 from the bank and YOU own the bank. They will work with you in any way they can to help you repay the loan. Bush knows this. China, Japan, Taiwan and S. Korea have billions and billions of dollars. They cannot afford to let the US go bankrupt. It would wreck their economies.

Bush is also an optimist. He believes that free market capitalism will come up with a new market, a new product, a new something that will make the US economy boom again, like in the 90's and the debt will be managable. The latest example was the dot.com boom. An earlier example: cars.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting argument. I've certainly never heard that one before.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush is not an idiot. He's not a genius, either. I have a lot of sympathy for OTOH's portrayal, especially since I used to be of that view myself. But the truth is a little more complicated than that (although OTOH's stance has the advantage of getting past the blundering and really old, done, and tired 'W. is stupid line.')

What Bush has is what I think of as moral courage. I hear the chuckles and snorts already. Fine, but let me refine that statement by reiterating what OTOH said above,

OTOH wrote:
But a person can still do unethical things without realizing that they are unethical.

Indeed. I'd even give some of history's monsters some credit for moral courage. But let me caution anyone from thinking I'm putting Bush, Osama, or Lincoln in remotely the same category as each other.

Anyway, I'm grateful for Bush's moral courage. It's one of his prime virtues, even though he's sadly in need of a lot more (virtues, that is). Is Bush a brilliant strategist? No, but I think he is able to make decisions other Presidents would shrink from (although, by the way, Clinton claims to agree with the invasion of Iraq, even though he doesn't endorse all the particulars of the Bush 'plan'). I am no fan of Bush. I think as a President he is a bane for domestic policy and a fiscal nightmare (all due respect to Ya-Ta's assessments, which I think are yet rather profound). But he does have moral courage. Brains? Perhaps not so much.

Jack the Cat wrote:
A stupid President is not necessarily a bad, or ineffective, President.

Look at Ronald Reagan. Not the sharpest tool in shed, but he was a very effective President. He had clear goals and surrounded himself with smart, focused people.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good edit of my quote there kuros.

However, George W. is more Calvin Coolidge stupid than Ronald Reagan stupid.
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ. It looks like I'm with Sundubuman. I don't think he's naturally stupid, I think he chooses stupidity. I also think he benefits hugely from reduced expectations due to this stupid act he puts on.

Quote:

As long as leadership IS smarter than me, I have no problem with them THINKING they're smarter. I don't know what that says about Texans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: