Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best bank in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite bank in Korea?
Woori Bank
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
KB Bank (Kookmin)
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
KEB
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
CHB
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Lighten up, guys.

All I did was say Uri = we, our.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Woori back when it was Hanvit, my account is with Nong Hyup now (more convenient branch). Cool when you cash out an account, they calculate the interest down to silly little fractions (I know, interest on savings is a joke) & you get 5-won & 1-won coins -- talk about flimsy funny little coins.

Nong Hyup (farmers' co-op) has a cool line of health food on sale in each branch -- brown rice, honey, teas, condiments, etc. Their ATMs have a convenient english menu now.

I've wired/transferred money through a number of different banks, never a hitch. ("Trans-fah" is the operative term.) The form is almost self-explanatory. For some reason they require the receiving bank's mailing address. Also the address & phone number of the recipient (if I dont know I just make something up). Safe & fast, it seems -- gets there in a matter of hours in my experience.

You gotta go to a larger bank with a foreign exchange department to do international transfers. In-country transfers you can do at any branch -- dont mess with the forms, just hand the teller a scrap of paper with the amount, recipient's name, & acct number & she'll take care of it easily & efficiently. If you get a Korean friend to help you, it takes about 5 times longer.
thorin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kyongnam Bank and I can't use the ATMs at Familymart etc. Is anyone else annoyed by the lack of 24 hour ATMs (this probably doesnt apply to Seoulites)?
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
homophonophobic

That is a truly awesome neologism. Gracias.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTM wrote:
Quote:
homophonophobic

That is a truly awesome neologism. Gracias.

De nada.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
I've been with Wooribank for over two years. They try very hard but some of their staff seem poorly trained.

For instance, sending money home as an account-to-account transfer takes the clerks in my local branch about 45 minutes!!! They spend sooo much time clicking on the computer obivously looking for what to do next.

Ditto on my KB Star (previously just Kookmin Bank) in Mokpo. The branch I go to now used to be the 'International' Bank too. I can't really understand why it takes so long.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the (full-page?) ad in the Korea Herald yesterday, explaing to you all that "Woori Bank" means "our bank"? They also used the 'oo' to make an 'infinity' symbol. Not sure what that's supposed to mean...This bank will go on forever? Your deposits will be multiplied by infinity? You will be infinitely frustrated?
steve902

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems out of date. Can anyone offer updated info about banking in SK? I'd be especially interested in info about English services and transfers of money back to the USA.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much has changed since 2002.

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one seemed to have mentioned shinhan yet.

solid bank with a ton of locations. no problems with atms and i can use other banks atms with no service charge. transfers are easy, they have a dedicated english service center page on facebook where they prompty respond to questions and they have multiple english speaking centers.

i have used their debit and credit cards in many different countries with no problems. in fact i ordered something from a canadian website last week and literally 15 seconds after the order was completed someone from shinhan called me to confirm that it wasn't fraudulent because i never buy things from canada.

the only two downsides that i can think of are that their credit card perks aren't quite as good as some others like keb if you really pay attention to things like that, but that's not a huge issue because i got a hyundai card to compliment my shinhan card due to much better card benefits. the other downside that i can think of is that much like every other first tier major korean bank, their savings accounts don't offer great rates so you have to go to secondary savings banks.
mandrews1985

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a credit card here. Been here for 2 years, will be in Korea for atleast another year.

I've heard KEB are pretty good. How would I go about getting one? I've been with Daegu bank for these 2 years but willing to set up another bank account to get a credit card.

Does anyone know the hoops I need to jump through to get one?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandrews1985 wrote:
I'm interested in getting a credit card here. Been here for 2 years, will be in Korea for atleast another year.

I've heard KEB are pretty good. How would I go about getting one? I've been with Daegu bank for these 2 years but willing to set up another bank account to get a credit card.

IF you are an average E2 teacher you will need to set up an interest earning time deposit account. Typically that will be for 1 million won or more.

They will then use that account as collateral to secure your credit card.
Your credit limit will be 90% of the time deposit value.
All the major banks will have a similar option.

It typically takes about a week - 10days for your card to appear.

Do be aware that Korean credit cards are NOT the same as back home.
Unless you make prior arrangements you will need to pay the balance in full each month (more like an AMEX than a VISA c/c.

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandrews1985 wrote:

many foreigners have also had success getting cc's that have pretty high credit limits without the time deposit account requirement from the adjummas who hock lotte cards and samsung cards at homeplus and emarts.

if the place you work at makes enough money you can also get one using them as a referral. how much your company is worth and makes is a factor for getting cc's here unlike in the states.
mandrews1985

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful information guys.

@Ttompatz I am on a regular E2 visa. So what you are saying is that I must deposit a set amount (say 1 million won) into an interest earning time deposit account. This would then enable me to get a Credit Card for about 90% of what I deposited into the new bank account. (say 0.9million won)

The 0.9million won credit limit is seperate to the deposit account. So could I then withdraw that 1 million won in put it back into my other acount, or is it stuck there like a safety deposit? Is it possible to dip into the 1million won or is it untouchable until I close the CC (when I leave the country)

And finally, if I use 300,000 won on the CC it would be expected to be paid in full at the end of the month (without previous arrangements being made)

@Wishfullthinking how would I go about getting a referral for a CC? Is that them being a guarantor? If I don't pay it back they would be liable?

Realisitcally I was only looking for a card that would cover me 1-2 million won, just as a back up.
mandrews1985

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: