Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylies99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChinaBoy wrote:
I'm not sure why any non-Korean would be working at that school.

There are plenty of illegal "teachers" who will take ANY job for money.
Beeyee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylies99 wrote:
ChinaBoy wrote:
I'm not sure why any non-Korean would be working at that school.

There are plenty of illegal "teachers" who will take ANY job for money.

Quite, but many mugs at this place are actually legal long termers. Ignorance (to them at least) is bliss.
joshuahirtle27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why.

대한민극 is watching us all.
martinpil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuahirtle27 wrote:
You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why.

Santa Claus is coming to towwwwwn
carrotjuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Little America Iksan Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

nformation about a school before coming here, I hope that if someone contacts you regarding Little America you will make them aware of this situation

Before coming to Korea our school send us our contract. It stated that we had 35 teaching hours per week. It also said that overtime would be paid for anything in excess of that and the workday was Monday through Friday. Upon arrival, we came to an apartment that was completely disgusting. It was mid August and we had no air conditioning. We had to purchase our own air conditioner. ( It cost 700,000 won) We had our introduction meeting and they told us we were expected to work 2 Saturdays a year and three nights per month calling the students. We agreed to it, but not for free. When we received our first paycheck the overtime was not there. Afraid to cause a stir in a strange country, we didn't say anything. They also added extra work ( time tables and report cards that we were required to do in our free time- they gave us no planning time) Things went somewhat smoothly for the first year. Basically, I was busting my ass for them but enjoyed the students and enjoyed teaching. When it came time to renew, we had the meeting. At this time I was pregnant but did not know. Most schools give you round trip airline ticket when you renew since if you did not renew they would have to send you back to your country and pay for the new teacher to come there. We did not get. This choice to renew is one I came to regret. During the time I worked at Little America my aunt, my great grandmother and my grandma's husband died. I did not get to go home for the funerals.

When I found out I was pregnant , it was because I had been so sick. I told my school and I had no idea that my sickness would last the entire pregnancy. I had extreme morning sickness that lasted for four months. I also had several months of extreme bladder pain and my bladder would have spasms. During the end of my pregnancy, I would have practice contractions which felt like a knife stabbing me in the girl parts
The morning sickness was very extreme. The doctor gave me pills to take but I couldn't keep them down. The only thing that worked was an IV drip that lasted about an hour and a half. The hospital opens at 9 am so after the IV is finished I would go to work. The earliest I could get there was 1045 am. My start time was scheduled for 945 am. Betty, the head teacher, and the director, Ms. Lee brought me in for a meeting. The explained that I was not just a mother I was also a teacher. If I was sick I should not go to the hospital, I should tough it out. After all Ms. Lee had sprained tendons and she was still going to work. Mommies and daddies would be angry if I didn't come to work. I said that mommies and daddies would be more angry if they had to bring a change of clothes for their child because the teacher vomited all over them. Also, that Ms. Lee did not have a fetus in her tendons. My doctor said that it is important that I have the IV because afterwards I am able to eat, and I must eat to give nourishment to my baby. They said that many schools would fire teachers for being pregnant and I said go ahead and I would be happy to find another job. The continued to argue with me and I continued to go to the hospital.
In September there was a holiday on a Thursday and the director wanted to close the school on the Friday. Instead of just giving us the day off, she swiped it from our vacation day bank. Also, she paid me late a few times and since my bills are withdrawn automatically, this caused my account in the USA to be overdrawn. She refused to compensate me for the overdraft fees. Also, She lost my original diploma. I had to order a duplicate and she did not pay for that. I explained that I want to show my diploma to my children one day and now it is gone. She did not apologize. Also, she was so cheap that she refused to heat the class to an acceptable temperature and I had to wear long underwear, two pairs of socks two shirts a coat and hat in the classroom ( not to mention I was pregnant which my fat stomach should have given me more insulation)
In October we had a meeting, and I said that after my baby was born, I would find another job. They screamed at me and called me names ( You are just like a child, you don't care about the children of this school, you only care about yourself) I said that I do care about the kids and that is why I was telling them 6 months in advance. I said that it was not ok for them to talk to me that way.
In December I had a horrible experience with one of my friends in a large city. He stayed with me and I wanted to take him to the doctor on Monday. I told them I was not able to attend the meeting at lunch ( its all in Korean any ways) because I needed to take him to the hospital. They told me that was not acceptable and I could not go to the hospital. I told them my friend was very sick and I needed to go during lunch cause this doctors office was closed in the evening. They told me that they did not care about my friend that he did not work at Little America. The said I only care about Americans. I said my friend was not American and that I have all kinds of friends from all over the world and that the foreigners are much like family. The said �You are terrible person, like a child �� I said that she should not talk to me that way , that it was rude. She said �When you must prove to me you are not a child, then I will treat you well� I said I don�t care if you like me or don�t, you will treat me with respect because I am a person. I also said it was not good for them to be yelling at me and getting me upset all the time because I am pregnant and stress hormones are bad for my baby and could even cause my baby to be to small. She said �I don�t care about your baby, it�s not my baby I have never seen it. How can I care about someone I never saw� I told her if she ever said anything like that to me again, I would walk out and they would have no teacher.
In February, they called me in for a meeting and said that they had many job applicants, but would like me to stay at Little America. I could have less hours flexible schedule, etc. I said that too much damage had been done and I wanted to finish my time there and move on with my life. The next day, they called me into the office to say that after my last day, Feb 28,2009 they must report me to the immigration office for the taxes and I would need to leave Korea within two weeks. I said that I had spoken to a lawyer and I knew my rights, They were obligated to give me 60 days maternity leave with pay and my airfare home. If the refused I would report them to the labor board for those things in addition to over $2000 of unpaid overtime. I also needed to receive a release letter so I could get a new job. They screamed and yelled at me and demand that I write a letter of resignation ion by the next day. I said I was not writing anything until I got what was mine. They screamed and yelled at me . I reported them to the labor board. The labor board said they were obligated to pat those things.
After that, the next payday they withdrew 540,000 from my paycheck for sick days. I explained that they should not withdraw my money. They never paid my overtime that was $2000 and since I was working extra there should be a balance and I was not working any more overtime for free if my salary was being cut for days that I missed.
We were entitled to some kind of rebate for taxes, but it was in Dave's name . I asked the director where the money was and she told me to mind my own business that it was Dave's money. I said that Dave's money was my money and never speak to me that way again ( is a sugar daddy just an American concept?)
Then they called me into the office and said that since I wasn't� going to work there anymore, I should pay the deposit and rent for the new teachers apartment ( My apartment is for two people- larger than most and instead of moving Dave into a one room we choose to keep this one) I said that there was no way I was paying a deposit for someone I had never met, and even if I wanted to, I had no money. She said that I should get my things and move out, and they would move the new teacher in with Dave. I said that I was not leaving I was his wife and we needed to live together so he could take care of me ( 8 � months pregnant) Also, I could not move out because I was not able to lift and move any furniture or boxes. They said they would just move the new teacher in and I said If you do that I will walk around the apartment completely naked and it is not the most beautiful sight at 8 � months along.
Then they said I couldn't have money,airfare or maternity. I reported them to the labor board. Then all of a sudden they wanted to meet. We made an agreement. I gave up claim to overtime to avoid drama.( I was having problems with my cervix dialing- necessary for delivery of baby- and was going to be admitted into the hospital in two days for a special procedure. I just wanted it to all be over and not having this drama hang over my head during the most important time of my life- my babys arrival) They agreed to pay maternity leave, release letter and would give me the cost of a one way air line ticket. We signed an agreement and it was given to the labor board.
They paid me maternity leave as agreed. I found a new job and contacted them regarding my release letter. I said that that I need the date on the letter to be April 25 and he said OK. I told him that I needed it within a week and he said OK. I told my new boss that I could start on that date. When I asked where the letter was, they said I could not have it until May 1st. I said that this could cause me to lose my new job and they said that was not their problem.
The last payday- April 30 I reminded the director that I needed the money for the airline ticket. She said did I book an airline ticket and I reminded her that we had agreed to the money and she said she didn't agree and I could not have the money. That I needed to come in and have a meeting. I said I wasn't going to have a meeting because I had a binding contract that obligated them to pay me. On May 14,2009 I called and told them that they were two weeks late on the airfare and she told me What is your point? I said that the money was mine and I needed it by tomorrow. They sent a note home saying that I could have only � the price of a round trip ticket ($600) not the price of a one way ticket (962). I explained that that was not what I agreed to and the director hung up the phone on me. I called back and the owner told me that if I called there again they would call the police and I said go ahead. Then Betty called me and told me that I was a horrible, greedy person and why do I always try to steal from them. I said that if I did not receive the money I was going back to the labor board for that money in addition to the overtime that I had previously forfeited.

Of course I did not get the money, so the next day I went to the Labor Board. They called Little America and Little America paid the airline money.

There were a few times when I needed to speak to Dave. For example, one time I was extremely sick and could not stop vomiting. I was home alone with Max and I need Dave to come home to take care of the baby. I would call the school and ask to speak to him and Ms. Lee would hang up the phone on me. This happened several times. Even when I told her that I was having an emergency and Dave needed to leave class, She refused to let me speak to him.

Because of these reasons Dave choose not to renew his contract with them. He worked there for 3 years.

After all that was said and done I found out that Little America had been stealing money form our pension account. They did this by inaccurately reporting our income to the pension, tax and insurance offices. The amount stolen from both Dave and I was 6 458 040. They also stole from the government ( 5 808 790) TOTAL OF 12 266 830 We sent them a certified letter ( no response)

[email protected]

Kari Hart 010 5641 0729
TheresaTheresa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodgood wrote:
Picture please!!

Not because I don't believe it, I just wanna see it! Sounds crazy.

Laughing Laughing
TheresaTheresa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Little America Iksan Reply with quote

carrotjuce wrote:
Evil or Very Mad

nformation about a school before coming here, I hope that if someone contacts you regarding Little America you will make them aware of this situation

Before coming to Korea our school send us our contract. It stated that we had 35 teaching hours per week. It also said that overtime would be paid for anything in excess of that and the workday was Monday through Friday. Upon arrival, we came to an apartment that was completely disgusting. It was mid August and we had no air conditioning. We had to purchase our own air conditioner. ( It cost 700,000 won) We had our introduction meeting and they told us we were expected to work 2 Saturdays a year and three nights per month calling the students. We agreed to it, but not for free. When we received our first paycheck the overtime was not there. Afraid to cause a stir in a strange country, we didn't say anything. They also added extra work ( time tables and report cards that we were required to do in our free time- they gave us no planning time) Things went somewhat smoothly for the first year. Basically, I was busting my ass for them but enjoyed the students and enjoyed teaching. When it came time to renew, we had the meeting. At this time I was pregnant but did not know. Most schools give you round trip airline ticket when you renew since if you did not renew they would have to send you back to your country and pay for the new teacher to come there. We did not get. This choice to renew is one I came to regret. During the time I worked at Little America my aunt, my great grandmother and my grandma's husband died. I did not get to go home for the funerals.

When I found out I was pregnant , it was because I had been so sick. I told my school and I had no idea that my sickness would last the entire pregnancy. I had extreme morning sickness that lasted for four months. I also had several months of extreme bladder pain and my bladder would have spasms. During the end of my pregnancy, I would have practice contractions which felt like a knife stabbing me in the girl parts
The morning sickness was very extreme. The doctor gave me pills to take but I couldn't keep them down. The only thing that worked was an IV drip that lasted about an hour and a half. The hospital opens at 9 am so after the IV is finished I would go to work. The earliest I could get there was 1045 am. My start time was scheduled for 945 am. Betty, the head teacher, and the director, Ms. Lee brought me in for a meeting. The explained that I was not just a mother I was also a teacher. If I was sick I should not go to the hospital, I should tough it out. After all Ms. Lee had sprained tendons and she was still going to work. Mommies and daddies would be angry if I didn't come to work. I said that mommies and daddies would be more angry if they had to bring a change of clothes for their child because the teacher vomited all over them. Also, that Ms. Lee did not have a fetus in her tendons. My doctor said that it is important that I have the IV because afterwards I am able to eat, and I must eat to give nourishment to my baby. They said that many schools would fire teachers for being pregnant and I said go ahead and I would be happy to find another job. The continued to argue with me and I continued to go to the hospital.
In September there was a holiday on a Thursday and the director wanted to close the school on the Friday. Instead of just giving us the day off, she swiped it from our vacation day bank. Also, she paid me late a few times and since my bills are withdrawn automatically, this caused my account in the USA to be overdrawn. She refused to compensate me for the overdraft fees. Also, She lost my original diploma. I had to order a duplicate and she did not pay for that. I explained that I want to show my diploma to my children one day and now it is gone. She did not apologize. Also, she was so cheap that she refused to heat the class to an acceptable temperature and I had to wear long underwear, two pairs of socks two shirts a coat and hat in the classroom ( not to mention I was pregnant which my fat stomach should have given me more insulation)
In October we had a meeting, and I said that after my baby was born, I would find another job. They screamed at me and called me names ( You are just like a child, you don't care about the children of this school, you only care about yourself) I said that I do care about the kids and that is why I was telling them 6 months in advance. I said that it was not ok for them to talk to me that way.
In December I had a horrible experience with one of my friends in a large city. He stayed with me and I wanted to take him to the doctor on Monday. I told them I was not able to attend the meeting at lunch ( its all in Korean any ways) because I needed to take him to the hospital. They told me that was not acceptable and I could not go to the hospital. I told them my friend was very sick and I needed to go during lunch cause this doctors office was closed in the evening. They told me that they did not care about my friend that he did not work at Little America. The said I only care about Americans. I said my friend was not American and that I have all kinds of friends from all over the world and that the foreigners are much like family. The said �You are terrible person, like a child �� I said that she should not talk to me that way , that it was rude. She said �When you must prove to me you are not a child, then I will treat you well� I said I don�t care if you like me or don�t, you will treat me with respect because I am a person. I also said it was not good for them to be yelling at me and getting me upset all the time because I am pregnant and stress hormones are bad for my baby and could even cause my baby to be to small. She said �I don�t care about your baby, it�s not my baby I have never seen it. How can I care about someone I never saw� I told her if she ever said anything like that to me again, I would walk out and they would have no teacher.
In February, they called me in for a meeting and said that they had many job applicants, but would like me to stay at Little America. I could have less hours flexible schedule, etc. I said that too much damage had been done and I wanted to finish my time there and move on with my life. The next day, they called me into the office to say that after my last day, Feb 28,2009 they must report me to the immigration office for the taxes and I would need to leave Korea within two weeks. I said that I had spoken to a lawyer and I knew my rights, They were obligated to give me 60 days maternity leave with pay and my airfare home. If the refused I would report them to the labor board for those things in addition to over $2000 of unpaid overtime. I also needed to receive a release letter so I could get a new job. They screamed and yelled at me and demand that I write a letter of resignation ion by the next day. I said I was not writing anything until I got what was mine. They screamed and yelled at me . I reported them to the labor board. The labor board said they were obligated to pat those things.
After that, the next payday they withdrew 540,000 from my paycheck for sick days. I explained that they should not withdraw my money. They never paid my overtime that was $2000 and since I was working extra there should be a balance and I was not working any more overtime for free if my salary was being cut for days that I missed.
We were entitled to some kind of rebate for taxes, but it was in Dave's name . I asked the director where the money was and she told me to mind my own business that it was Dave's money. I said that Dave's money was my money and never speak to me that way again ( is a sugar daddy just an American concept?)
Then they called me into the office and said that since I wasn't� going to work there anymore, I should pay the deposit and rent for the new teachers apartment ( My apartment is for two people- larger than most and instead of moving Dave into a one room we choose to keep this one) I said that there was no way I was paying a deposit for someone I had never met, and even if I wanted to, I had no money. She said that I should get my things and move out, and they would move the new teacher in with Dave. I said that I was not leaving I was his wife and we needed to live together so he could take care of me ( 8 � months pregnant) Also, I could not move out because I was not able to lift and move any furniture or boxes. They said they would just move the new teacher in and I said If you do that I will walk around the apartment completely naked and it is not the most beautiful sight at 8 � months along.
Then they said I couldn't have money,airfare or maternity. I reported them to the labor board. Then all of a sudden they wanted to meet. We made an agreement. I gave up claim to overtime to avoid drama.( I was having problems with my cervix dialing- necessary for delivery of baby- and was going to be admitted into the hospital in two days for a special procedure. I just wanted it to all be over and not having this drama hang over my head during the most important time of my life- my babys arrival) They agreed to pay maternity leave, release letter and would give me the cost of a one way air line ticket. We signed an agreement and it was given to the labor board.
They paid me maternity leave as agreed. I found a new job and contacted them regarding my release letter. I said that that I need the date on the letter to be April 25 and he said OK. I told him that I needed it within a week and he said OK. I told my new boss that I could start on that date. When I asked where the letter was, they said I could not have it until May 1st. I said that this could cause me to lose my new job and they said that was not their problem.
The last payday- April 30 I reminded the director that I needed the money for the airline ticket. She said did I book an airline ticket and I reminded her that we had agreed to the money and she said she didn't agree and I could not have the money. That I needed to come in and have a meeting. I said I wasn't going to have a meeting because I had a binding contract that obligated them to pay me. On May 14,2009 I called and told them that they were two weeks late on the airfare and she told me What is your point? I said that the money was mine and I needed it by tomorrow. They sent a note home saying that I could have only � the price of a round trip ticket ($600) not the price of a one way ticket (962). I explained that that was not what I agreed to and the director hung up the phone on me. I called back and the owner told me that if I called there again they would call the police and I said go ahead. Then Betty called me and told me that I was a horrible, greedy person and why do I always try to steal from them. I said that if I did not receive the money I was going back to the labor board for that money in addition to the overtime that I had previously forfeited.

Of course I did not get the money, so the next day I went to the Labor Board. They called Little America and Little America paid the airline money.

There were a few times when I needed to speak to Dave. For example, one time I was extremely sick and could not stop vomiting. I was home alone with Max and I need Dave to come home to take care of the baby. I would call the school and ask to speak to him and Ms. Lee would hang up the phone on me. This happened several times. Even when I told her that I was having an emergency and Dave needed to leave class, She refused to let me speak to him.

Because of these reasons Dave choose not to renew his contract with them. He worked there for 3 years.

After all that was said and done I found out that Little America had been stealing money form our pension account. They did this by inaccurately reporting our income to the pension, tax and insurance offices. The amount stolen from both Dave and I was 6 458 040. They also stole from the government ( 5 808 790) TOTAL OF 12 266 830 We sent them a certified letter ( no response)

[email protected]

Kari Hart 010 5641 0729

I am so sorry to hear about the many ways Little America Iksan harassed and mistreated you, your unborn child, and your husband. I hope you are doing much better now and kudos to you for standing up for yourself.
enchoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Was the anti-foreigner signs posted? Why don't you just r Reply with quote

Was the anti-foreigners signs posted? I will send the boys to personally rip them down!!!! Please tell me where they are posted!!!!
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Was the anti-foreigner signs posted? Why don't you ju Reply with quote

enchoo wrote:
Was the anti-foreigners signs posted? I will send the boys to personally rip them down!!!! Please tell me where they are posted!!!!

You'll need a time machine.

This thread was started in 2007.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sending the time travel car from back to the future to you enchoo.

Get in it, go back to 2007 and rip those signs down.

Beware of what you could do to the time continium however!

When you get back, be extra vigilant for the Wayguk Grabbing Bongo Trucks that patrol those neighborhoods infested with foreign teachers. These trucks are conveniently disguised as produde selling trucks driven by "farmers".

If you are not careful, they will grab you, gag you and drive you to a re-training camp where you will be chained in a "classroom" and forced to "teach".

Stay aware out there, know your exits and always have an escape route planned!
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrotjuice,

you should post your story on some of the various blacklist sites around, but I suggest that you somehow summarize it, pear it down or do something to make it more readable.

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/

http://eslwatch.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=1&Itemid=5

http://hagwon.reliableteacher.com/

http://hagwons.com/find-a-hagwon-reviews.php?Form_ID=180
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the ironic think about one of the schools that put up the signs. I knew somebody that worked illegally for them for a month and THEY KNEW the teacher was illegal.

Hypocrites.
TheresaTheresa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Carrotjuice,

you should post your story on some of the various blacklist sites around, but I suggest that you somehow summarize it, pear it down or do something to make it more readable.

True. I took the time to read because I like reading and I am a feminist who cares about the discrepancy between the amazing thing mothers do bringing children into the world and the total lack of substantive respect and consideration they receive. For the average person, this would be way too long but perhaps she needed to get this experience out in detail for her own peace of mind.

Nonetheless, I agree that if Carrotjuce wishes to publicize her ill-treatment by Little America Iksan, she should summarize it in order to receive maximum consideration from readers.

Best wishes to you, Carrotjuce and congrats on becoming a mother (again?)!
sojusucks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheresaTheresa wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:
Carrotjuice,

True. I took the time to read because I like reading and I am a feminist who cares about the discrepancy between the amazing thing mothers do bringing children into the world and the total lack of substantive respect and consideration they receive. For the average person, this would be way too long but perhaps she needed to get this experience out in detail for her own peace of mind.

Nonetheless, I agree that if Carrotjuce wishes to publicize her ill-treatment by Little America Iksan, she should summarize it in order to receive maximum consideration from readers.

Best wishes to you, Carrotjuce and congrats on becoming a mother (again?)!

Thanks to Carrot Juice for posting what can happen at some of these bad schools. She deserves kudos for going to Labor to get what she earned.
enchoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: i have no time to invent a time machine or to read 33 pages Reply with quote

If there are signs still up I will send the boys.
Since I am not the guy ripping or tearing down the signs, I am not worried about the KCIA reeducation bongos that are driving around Daejeon and Iksan. Yes several Iksan hagwons have HUGE problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: