Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I will never work for Gepik again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishead soup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Gout to me. Lay off the booze for a while and it will get better
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad-ish wrote:
i didn't realize it was going to be a lecture (it was only about 5 min.) because frankly i couldn't imagine what they could have to lecture me about. i thought the VP just wanted to make sure i was alright. naive, huh?

I can just imagine you walking down the hall blissfully unaware of what was about to happen to you. Koreans enjoy chasing each other around and they enjoy chasing foreigners even more. My Korean English co-teacher believes in dilligence and duty. I think, being a ten years experienced Korean elem school teacher, she's not alone in following the company line about being dilligent and dutiful. I'm virgin territory for her to convert in the dilligence department. Hey, I'm dilligent. I just don't appear to be dilligent. She sometimes puts a mirror in front of my nostrils to make sure I'm breathing. She's that nosy.
Bingo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they've come up with a 5 day 'retreat' for native teachers in some remote part of Gyeongido. We're supposed to leave our homes and bunk with strangers for five days.

Not gonna happen.
spliff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense you're not a team player....not good. Mad
SirFink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo wrote:
Now they've come up with a 5 day 'retreat' for native teachers in some remote part of Gyeongido. We're supposed to leave our homes and bunk with strangers for five days.

Not gonna happen.

LOL. All the people who have completely written off hagwons need to read stuff like this. All the negatives about teaching at a hagwon, at least you don't have to do crap like this.
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFink wrote:
All the negatives about teaching at a hagwon, at least you don't have to do crap like this.

I'm inclined to agree.
Otherside

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Clark wrote:
SirFink wrote:
All the negatives about teaching at a hagwon, at least you don't have to do crap like this.

I'm inclined to agree.

Right. Except that the hagwon will send you off on "orientation" during your weekend - unpaid. 5days during the week (instead of work and paid) vs saturday and sunday unpaid... The real kicker is the overnight thing...apart from that, if they want me to attend workshops, orientations, and training seminars during my 9-5 shift on their dime...they should feel free, (As an aside, I will have 7 days of orientation/workshops this month - the 5 day big one, a full day this friday, and half day next wednesday...It's absurd...)
mountainous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: I will never work for Gepik again. Reply with quote

philipjames wrote:
And it's not as if I'm missing classes. It's vacation time (for everyone except whitey). I'd simply be staring at the wall for eight hours. But, regardless of how sick I might be, that's what the vice-principle thinks I should be doing. Gepik, in my opinion, put those 15 sick days in the contract as a dishonest means of luring native teachers to the system. Then they do the old Korean 'bait and switch' thing, just like the hogwans.

Contract fraud committed by none other than the Korean Govermnent.

Keep in mind that the current President of Korea was nabbed for fraud PRIOR to being elected. So what does this tell you about the Korean Government and the people that elected him?

Your story is not too much different from many that I have heard. Many of these stories get deleted from the forum since they reflect negatively on the Korean ESL Market and the Korean Government.

Be sure to make a copy of your story in case that it does get deleted...you can repost it elsewhere and share it with prospective teachers. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience working in Korea.

Last edited by mountainous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
R-Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people don't know how lucky you are; I worked for a company in Korea and received exactly 0 sick days a year. If I was ill those missed work days came out of my vacation (20 days p.a.).
pkang0202

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R-Seoul wrote:
You people don't know how lucky you are; I worked for a company in Korea and received exactly 0 sick days a year. If I was ill those missed work days came out of my vacation (20 days p.a.).

You don't know how lucky you are. All my Korean friends who work for A Korean company don't get ANY sick days or ANY vacation days. They have to work for 3 years before they can get 7 days vacation.
mountainous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: I will never work for Gepik again. Reply with quote

mountainous wrote:
philipjames wrote:
And it's not as if I'm missing classes. It's vacation time (for everyone except whitey). I'd simply be staring at the wall for eight hours. But, regardless of how sick I might be, that's what the vice-principle thinks I should be doing. Gepik, in my opinion, put those 15 sick days in the contract as a dishonest means of luring native teachers to the system. Then they do the old Korean 'bait and switch' thing, just like the hogwans.

Contract fraud committed by none other than the Korean Govermnent.

Keep in mind that the current President of Korea was nabbed for fraud PRIOR to being elected. So what does this tell you about the Korean Government and the people that elected him?

Your story is not too much different from many that I have heard. Many of these stories get deleted from the forum since they reflect negatively on the Korean ESL Market and the Korean Government.

Be sure to make a copy of your story in case that it does get deleted...you can repost it elsewhere and share it with prospective teachers. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience working in Korea.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:
All my Korean friends who work for A Korean company don't get ANY sick days or ANY vacation days. They have to work for 3 years before they can get 7 days vacation.

And if any one of those people took their companies to court for labor violations, they would win. Vacation is mandated by law. A compnay can't just take it away. Vacation is not just some company perk.
nautilus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atavistic wrote:
I haven't had any problems taking sick days at my school. I mean, really, none.

OK, actually, I took a second day in a row once the my coteacher came to bring me food and check up on me the second day. I think it was spying, but I think she really just came over to ask if I was coming the next day cause I had a business trip.

Otherwise, no problems. I've never shown a note, either.

yeah, it totally depends on the school.

My previous one was fine about it. This one demands a formalised signing ceremony just to go to the bathroom, so I'm not sure how they'll react to the common cold.
lowpo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
I haven't had any problems taking sick days at my school. I mean, really, none.

OK, actually, I took a second day in a row once the my coteacher came to bring me food and check up on me the second day. I think it was spying, but I think she really just came over to ask if I was coming the next day cause I had a business trip.

Otherwise, no problems. I've never shown a note, either.

yeah, it totally depends on the school.

My previous one was fine about it. This one demands a formalised signing ceremony just to go to the bathroom, so I'm not sure how they'll react to the common cold.

I have a swollen knee, ankle, and sore groin that was caused from an accident that happened to me over weekend. I still showed up to teach on Monday morning at my main school.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
pkang0202 wrote:
All my Korean friends who work for A Korean company don't get ANY sick days or ANY vacation days. They have to work for 3 years before they can get 7 days vacation.

And if any one of those people took their companies to court for labor violations, they would win. Vacation is mandated by law. A compnay can't just take it away. Vacation is not just some company perk.

And then those people could say goodbye to any promotions. And they would be the first to be cut when the company needs to shed jobs.
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: