Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, I've never had it fade on me, and in the one low side I've had it work wonderfully, it did what they say is bad...it wore away but the frame and even the plastics were saved. So I dunno.
thekingofdisco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just got back from a nice trip out to yangpyong, up the mountain and back... and was asking my friends about the race tracks.

Well yongin is a no-go I'm afraid, only seems to be for cars. There are other tracks in Korea which do allow bikes, but we're talking a 4/5hr ride just to get there. Then the next bit.... Once you actually get yourselves to the track you will not be allowed to use it as you need a special Korean track license, which takes ages to get and you have to take a special course (probably expensive too). Also I think you have to pay quite a lot of money each year to keep the license valid.

It seems pretty hard to get onto the tracks in Korea!
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about the tracks. Still - 'a lot of money' may be a few hundred thou - I'd be willing to pay a little to try it out - especially if it comes with some schooling.

I love going up to Umyong-san in yangpyeong. It's great fun. If you keep following that road into northern kangwon-do, the scenery is great! I think a bunch of people I know are going out for a ride on Children's Day in May -- maybe we can all get together with our bikes and scare the locals. Ha!

Big Dave's Ride! Who's in?

I kind of wonder why some of the people who I know have bikes haven't bothered to post in this thread. A lot of them came out and started posting in the Buy/Sell forum in the thread about the Hyosung.

Random question: Does anyone know a good source for 100% synthetic motorcycle oil? I'm not too picky about brand. My local motorcycle shop (who I'm pretty friendly with) wants 20,000 a bottle for this ELF (french) 5w50 stuff. Seemed excessive... then I looked on Auction.co.kr - and prices were pretty similar.

Also: To make this thread more interesting, everyone should post pictures of their rides! Show us what you have!
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, mine is a scoot, 49cc's of raw power. It looks like all the others. And if I actually had my bikes here it'd me Motul or Mobil 1 synth. Not sure where you can get it though.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my first choice would have been Mobil 1 or Amsoil... however, unable to find any of those, I did some research on the Elf 5w50 and Elf synthetic oils in general and I found that everyone on the 'net spoke highly of it. The only complaint seemed to be that it was expensive.

Did anyone go anywhere yesterday? The weather was quite nice!
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the weather forecast was 'fair', BIT (little) of sunshowers for a few minutes Sunday evening around Changwon. Went to Daegu Sat, to Pusan Sun.

A poster on this thread said they'd never seen a Valkyrie. I saw one ridden by a U.S. Army guy around Songtan. He had Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' blaring from a boombox strapped to the tank, just kidding. Those army base guys have some kind of connection to buying Harleys and such, shipped over.

This weekend I rode alongside, by chance, between Masan and Pusan, a bunch eight bikes, a motely assortment. One 1100 cruiser, a 250 (or 450?) two stroke enduro (a madman sporting a mustache), a CB400, etc, and a Honda X-4. I didn't know what it was, just this big fat, flat back 'drag tire'. A short, flaring, chromed inverted funnel-like exhaust either side, and a Korean chick clinging on back looking like she was having a good time. The other bikes were playing catch up to this rumbling baby. I looked online and the Honda X-4 was Honda's answer to the Yamaha Vmax 1200

The Honda X-4 is the largest inline four built, said an online source, at 1299cc, and geared low for torque. Lots of online reviews for the Yamaha Vmax (built for 18 years and still made today), but nothing for the Honda
X-4(!). The bike I'm considering buying, used of course, is the Yamaha FZX Fazer or 'baby Vmax', an inline four 750cc. They were last seen stateside in '87 BUT are still made in Japan, just don't get to North America. Sweet!
jsanders79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a little bit of a subject change here. My friend wants to buy a 750cc bike and wants some information on taking the motorcycle driving test and the bike hogwans. I am assuming that the written part of the Motorcycle license test is only in Korean? So in other words..if your Korean ability isn't good, you are out of luck? - This is also a longshot...but... does anyone also know of bike hagwons that can instruct in English?
thekingofdisco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as your friend wants to buy a 750cc bike, I'm sure he already can ride pretty well. So why the need for the hagwon?

If he isn't so confident with big bikes, he should perhaps look for another bike.

Anyway to answer your questions.. You can do the written part in English too - I had no preparation and passed it, there were a few wierd questions which I did guess on though. I believe you can get a prep book type thing at the test centres.

There are also hagwons everywhere, I'm sure close to where he lives.

The test involves doing a small course "off road" which lasts around 30 secs, all in 1st gear. If he can ride a 750cc ok, he should be able to pass 1st time I reckon. If he needs English instruction on how to ride (from scratch), he should not really be riding a 750cc as a first bike.
elksnitis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: offroad / dirtbike trails Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a Hyosung RX-125 that I use as my commuter through Seoul but I can't seem to find out about any places to ride it offroad. Can anyone point me to a good trail that is meant for riding offroad bikes near Seoul? Are there any trails or roads on the outskirts of Seoul like old logging type of roads? (not that they do that here but that's what i loved riding my bike around on near seattle). Any info would greatly be appreciated! Please PM or feel free to answer on this post.

Thanks!
captain kirk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know these guys go out every Sunday. The owner of the following motorbike shop among them. The shop specializes in offroad bike repairs.
Do you know Dongdaemun, the ancient gate around which traffic goes? Say you're approaching that roundabout, with the ancient gate in the middle, from the canal/Chungechon. Keep on straight and up the hill. The exit you take from the rotary will be as if you did a straight line from where you came, the canal. Up you go and, after about two blocks, you'll see, on the left side of this main drag you're on, a motorbike shop with offroad bikes parked outside, and inside (the shop has floor to ceiling windows). Mr Bak is the owner. Last time I was there a Korean guy from that sort of 'club' was talking on the phone with a foreigner, in English, recommending the foreigner get a 450 2-stroke. So it's a happening place for offroaders. His cell is 011 724 8994 and the shop number is (02) 745 5764. He's honest and a genius at offroad repairs. He doesn't speak English but, in person, can understand what you mean.
voth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone run across the Honda Ruckus (either the 50cc or 249/250cc version)? If so, what has your experience been with them?
mrsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cost of a motard here? Or even just a XR600 or CRF450. Plus parts.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, squirrel...

But I had a quick peek at Passo and found a few CRFs, though they're 250cc and not the 450/600 you were looking for. Browse that site - you should be able to find what you're looking for.

The one 250CC CRF is going for 5 mil - but I don't know if that's a good price.

https://www.passo.co.kr/bike/main/main.php?on_path=mall&on_page=out&on_mode=detail&on_process=&idx=22302&s_country=2&s_maker=24&s_model=332&s_outyear=&s_cc=&s_price=&s_mark=&s_type2=&s_area=&s_sorta=&s_sortb=&page=
mrsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ok price on a 2005 but it's only the 250 so ain't got much poke Sad

I would presume that it ain't got plates and what not though being an off road bike.

Kawasaki made a D-Tracker 250 motard as a production bike =. Honda have a 250 XR motard as well.

Just figured the site out.

Have Varadero's very cheap on there 2mil or so. Lovely bikes for a long journey but bloody terrible in corners and braking.
mrsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop looking at the website.

Help.

-----

https://www.passo.co.kr/bike/main/main.php?on_path=mall&on_page=out&on_mode=detail&on_process=&idx=23447&s_country=2&s_maker=77&s_model=&s_outyear=&s_cc=&s_price=&s_mark=&s_type2=&s_area=&s_sorta=&s_sortb=&page=

Is that Husky 1.4 million?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 6 of 181

Jump to: