Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats wrong with my computer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Whats wrong with my computer? Reply with quote

Everytime I turn it on.. it just beeps forever without starting as it did before. Anything I can do about that?
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might help if you describe the beeping. but if i had to guess i'd say your CPU is getting overheated and you might want to check if all the fans in your computer are spinning without hinderance
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
might help if you describe the beeping. but if i had to guess i'd say your CPU is getting overheated and you might want to check if all the fans in your computer are spinning without hinderance

It does sound like something in the CPU.. it kind of spins and spins.

The strange thing is that my computer was turned off for a week.. so it shouldn't be overheated..
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

length between use doesn't really matter.

computer temp depends mostly on:
1. effectiveness of cooling, if the fans are spinning well
2. room temperature, so if u've been keeping the room temp high that will make the computer heat up
3. what you are using the computer for. the more work the comp has to do, the more it will heat up. but since you aren't even getting to that point, i would say the problem is a combination of #1 and 2. assuming its a heating problem --;
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The monitor doesn't turn on either.. with Windows popping up. Seems to just beep beep beep.. kind of stuck in that 'beep' mode of when you first turn on a computer.

Sounds kind of like a large truck backing up and its 'warning' signals that its in reverse.
matko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer does the same thing everytime I turn it on. I press the space bar and it goes away!!
Shocked
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that the beep when you turn the computer on is a kind of test. More than one beep = bad. a technician can tell roughly what the problem is by the number of beeps.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it'll seem to beep forever and ever and ever and ever.. then I unplug the plug (its the only way to stop it).

Very bad sign, huh?
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be a button stuck down on the keyboard. I had this happen once. Try unplugging, turning it upside down it and giving it a tap on the table. Check all of them and see if any are down lower than the others etc. Worth a try.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disable your PC speaker too...that should take the stress off your ears.
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TB....
Is it definitely the computer....?
Not the monitor...? Don't know...?
I get the same thing with the beeping sometimes but it comes up with a warning saying that the monitor isn't connected properly.
I'm not sure what type of computer you have but possibly this warning doesn't show on older monitors/computers. Usually I can just turn the computer off, jiggle the leads around and everything is cool.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your BIOS' POST (power-on Self-test) telling you that you have a major problem- a problem severe enough that it can't load the operating system. The beeps are a code and can indicate a variety of hardware failures. Different BIOS have different POST codes.

Clutch Cargo has the right idea- POST can indicate keyboard failure- make sure all of the keys are unstuck. If that doesn't work you're heading to a service center- the insides of a laptop shouldn't be messed around with unless you really know what you're doing.

Are we talking about a laptop here? If it's not a laptop check all the cable connections- particularly the monitor. If it's not a laptop and you're comfortable with opening it up check all the connections inside and make sure the RAM and the video card are seated properly.

It won't be overheating, not right at start up, unless you have been using it for a long time and are re-booting.

It's not neccessarily the CPU, they don't spin. That constant spinning noise is either your CD drive or your hard drive trying to do something. Make sure there are no CDs in the drive.

My best guess after keyboard is either hard drive or video card related failure. There's no way to tell without knowing the beep code or swapping them out with other hardware.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
It's your BIOS' POST (power-on Self-test) telling you that you have a major problem- a problem severe enough that it can't load the operating system. The beeps are a code and can indicate a variety of hardware failures. Different BIOS have different POST codes.

Thats about what it is. The monitor doesn't turn on. I did unplug the connections and tried again.. but didn't work either.

Also, thats true that it isn't loading the operating system. The monitor stays blank, and just incessestant beeping noise like a backing-up vehicle sound.

It definetely doesn't sound good! I've had other problems from time to time with it in the past as well.. (bought it used from a guy who built computers).. perhaps its seen its last day?
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It definetely doesn't sound good! I've had other problems from time to time with it in the past as well.. (bought it used from a guy who built computers).. perhaps its seen its last day?

If you've ruled out all the petty ante stuff like a stuck key, etc, then you probably either have a fried mobo (easy enough, one little solder point breaks, and bye bye), a dead processor, or possibly one of your DIMM's have failed spectacularly (although this is doubtful, RAM usually gives you ample warning before dying off).

If it were a desktop I'd say let's perform surgery, but on a laptop... Yeah, take it to a service center.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh forget to mention.. yes, its a desktop.

Surgery time.. yeah, seems like its going to come to that.. I'm just clueless on it.. but thats probably the next step.. make sure everything is securely in place.

The other thing is when I used it last.. I definetely didn't move anything around.. so I can't figure out how things were jarred out of place..

Seems more like something might be fried or something..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: