Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shocked!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Shocked! Reply with quote

I have just been watching a documentary about the grandson of the last King of Korea, seemingly he was married to an American woman until 1973. My girlfriend was shocked to learn this, she knew he had divorced but had no idea that he had married a foreigner. My g/f then told me that the first president of South Korea had also married a foreigner!!!
Everytime I go out with my g/f she gets looks from people, especially men, they ask her rude questions and sometimes ask me, often personnel one's. It seems strange that Korea is so closed to multicultural relationships, especially as it has a long tradition here. The Chinese invading, the Mongols, Japan, now the dreaded westerners. It annoys me that me and my gal are judged on the basis of hidden history, ignorance and bigotry. I suppose Koreans feel that they have to over compensate, their national pride is based on sand, their culture a long line of borrowed ideals. It reminds me of why men buy big cars-maybe their small in other areas. Oh! Koreans like big cars, its a shame they can't see over the dashboard.
I find it incredulous that a nation with so little to offer the world, can seriously believe that it is superior, could anyone tell me of a famous scientist, inventor, philosopher, actor/actress, novelist etc etc from Korea.

No!!!

I wonder also if anyone else has noticed the dirty habit of not washing their hands after #1 and 2's, maybe it's a tradition that dates back to Ghengis Khan?

In all areas Korea is inferior except for the gorgeous women I see, particularly my beautiful Girlfriend!!

Rant over. Mad
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same in every country and nation. I've visited 26 and lived in 8. They all think they're the best for some reason or other. And they all have fierce rivalries with their neighbours. If I actually went to a country where the people said, "oh no, why was I born here, we people are so dumb and inferior, I'm ashamed" I"d faint. Mind you the english seem pretty ashamed of themselves half the time.
Grim Ja

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea you are either in the group or wangta.

Remember those Apple commercials "Think Different", It is opposite in Korea, "THINK SAME SAME"

If you are anyway shape or form different in Korea you are bad wrong and then outcast.

Foreigners are outcast because we don't have the same "Blood". Women that date foreigners are outcast because it's not the norm. Even though most other women are envious of them and wish they were in their shoes.

And it is not just the foreigner thing either. If you have any strange or new or revolutionary ideas you will not be praised but you will be shunned. That is why there are no great scientists coming from Korea. The country is run on the Peter Principle. That is why it will never change and that is why I see no hope for Korea's future.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case Grim, why is Korea jammed full of ever more innovatory gadgets and hi-tech stuff?
sickboy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proximity to Japan.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
In that case Grim, why is Korea jammed full of ever more innovatory gadgets and hi-tech stuff?

They're very good at copying things. Samsung Electronics is famous among its peers for buying the right to use all kinds of patents that its competitors have. Ex: its mobile phones use technology developed by Mortorola. On the other hand, korea is slowly becoming better at creating the stuff and not just copying it.

Quote:
And they all have fierce rivalries with their neighbours.

Yeah, you know the USA, it has a nasty rivalry with Mexico and Canada Rolling Eyes . Yeah, I know, many Mexicans have at least a little resentment towards the USA but that feeling isn't recipricated. Do Canadians feel like there is some type of rivalry with the USA? I don't think so. On the other hand, I can't come up with any other exceptions to your statement.
bignate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Sickboy,

It is no coincidence that most everything in Korea (cars, electronics, fashion, etc.) is "innovated" following a short period of latency after a Japanese success.

It is also one reason why patent laws are very lax there.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Proximity to Japan.

This, as of yet, has not worked out for Vladivostok.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:

This, as of yet, has not worked out for Vladivostok.

ha ha, clever Lemon. Thanks for the laugh. It really is sad that Russia can't get its act together and get its economy rolling. It has so much in resources (oil, gas, lumber, brain power, etc) yet it seems stuck in border-line economic peril.

As for the OP, did the documentry say if the Korean king was married to a caucasian or asian woman? Not that it makes a difference, just curious.
sid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shocked! Reply with quote

stalinsdad wrote:
Everytime I go out with my g/f she gets looks from people, especially men, they ask her rude questions and sometimes ask me, often personnel one's. It seems strange that Korea is so closed to multicultural relationships,

It annoys me that me and my gal are judged on the basis of hidden history, ignorance and bigotry.

Grim Ja wrote:
Women that date foreigners are outcast because it's not the norm.

I realise these statements are not without some truth, but I think its a myth that becomes over-inflated in people's minds. It seems to boost some men's self-esteem to feel that they, the heroic Westerner, have captured the prized Korean girl in the face of the 'enemy' - Korean society, more particularly its men.

I think it is easy to mistake a fairly neutral reaction of bemusement for hostility, if you are projecting the above scenario onto how people judge your relationship. Frowning, general screwing up of the face, and a gruff way of asking some rather direct questions appear to be quite normal behaviour for many Koreans, not something reserved for supposed 'taboos' like the appearance of a mixed couple. Anytime I saw a young Korean couple arm-in-arm there would usually be a tutting adjumma or two in the vicinity.

I felt more hostility in my first year in Korea, when walking around by myself, than later on when I was usually with my girlfriend. That made me think it was more to do with my own insecurity, not knowing the language and so on, than how people were actually reacting. The most perturbing reactions when we were together were the embarassingly positive ones, like restaurant adjumma's asking for advice on how to get their daughters married to foreigners!

Not trying to airbrush anything here and I do think there are some horrid attitudes to women and foreigners (dark-skinned ones) in Korea. But I'm not the victim.
desultude

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Stalinsdad, for the responses you get with your girlfriend. Its too international a problem. It must go back to defensive tribalism.
We can only hope that someday, before it is too late, the human race outgrows such destructive behavior.

It is far from being a problem only in Korea. I certainly have seen such behavior in the United States. I have seen mixed race couples move out of their home cities to live in more tolerant places in the U.S.. A mixed race friend of mine has two blonde sons, and is always being asked if she is their nanny, in Illinois. Some areas of the States are better and more cosmopolitan, some are worse.

I have also seen a lot of loving and generous behavior here in Korea. I went to a wedding recently of a colleague. She, a Korean, was marrying a white guy from the States. Both families were there, and one of the students, a very black exchange student from Africa, stood in the front of the wedding hall translating the event into English and into Korean, for both groups. This is how the world changes.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:

It is far from being a problem only in Korea. I certainly have seen such behavior in the United States. I have seen mixed race couples move out of their home cities to live in more tolerant places in the U.S.. A mixed race friend of mine has two blonde sons, and is always being asked if she is their nanny, in Illinois. Some areas of the States are better and more cosmopolitan, some are worse.

Indeed, as always right on the mark Desultude. I met a Carribean British woman in Las Vegas two years ago, married to a white guy from LA. In two years of marriage they had moved to different districts of LA four times because they couldn't fit into either the black or white community. They were sneered at by both.

I wonder why people expect all Korean people to be so open minded; people have a few negative experiences (as are experienced by all ethnic minorities in all countries) and label the entire Korean race, racist. The irony...

To quote the Lemon recently. "People are people, it's the same s hit, different pile."
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Do Canadians feel like there is some type of rivalry with the USA? I don't think so.

Well actually...

Many Canadians have an inferiority complex when it comes to the USA. Many feel that while we know a lot about them, they know very little about us, and with we were viewed with more interest by our neighbours. I think your statement is a good example of that. Laughing However, I think it's mainly friendly. I know many Americans were (and maybe still are) mad because we didn't join in the war in Iraq (and subsequent planting of WMD's Wink ) but most of us have nothing but positive feelings toward our neighbours.

Coincidentally, when people ask me about Korean attitudes, I often say, "You know how we Canadians feel about the USA? Well, Koreans feel like that about everybody!"
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea Newfie wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Do Canadians feel like there is some type of rivalry with the USA? I don't think so.

I know many Americans were (and maybe still are) mad because we didn't join in the war in Iraq (and subsequent planting of WMD's Wink ) but most of us have nothing but positive feelings toward our neighbours.

What has been planted?

It must be great to be Canadian and have nothing to brag about other than not being American. Oh, with the exception of a few gameshow hosts and pinup models. Laughing

Just teasing!

Oh, I'll give you a good one: Paradigm stereo speakers. Now THAT is something Canadian-made to brag about.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of ethnocentrism, i spoke to a 45 yr old korean man last week who's contemplating leaving korea for the first time in his life on holiday to Miguk land. He's going through such terrible jitters as this "quote" what if someone tries to talk to me on the bus and i can't understand what they're saying?
and:"maybe people will see me as a foreigner and not like me"
Just go to L.A., (or Elrr ayy) I said, you'll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: